Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2008, 08:24 PM   #1

Location: about 65 miles SE of Buffalo & 70 miles SW of Rochester NY
Smile Just found this forum and sure am glad I did!

Actually, at this point in time my husband and I are not FR owners. BUT we do have a 2008 Georgetown 373 DS on order. It will be our first new coach & only the second coach we have ever owned.
We've only been into this RV stuff for 4 years now, starting with a used Georgie Boy Pursuit back then.
Can any of you give us some pointers on what to "look" for in the new coach on our soon (I Hope!!) to be maiden voyage?

BJG..Ben, 58 yr. old retired autoworker
MFG..Madona his DW of almost 32 years
and the fur kids,
Archie and Edith the wired hair miniature dachshunds
BJGMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:47 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forest River Forums and congratulations on the new rig. Bet the wait is killing you.

You should do a thorough PDI with your dealer and be sure you cover everything including all of the systems on board. Be sure to check the fit and finish of the interior and exterior. They probably won't be perfect but be sure there are no glaring problems that need to be fixed before you leave the lot.

Once home, set up everything you can and camp in the driveway. Test all of the systems except the toilet (unless you have a sewer connection at home) to be sure you know how they work, and that they do work. You should have gone over all of this in the PDI, but nothing beats doing it yourself in your own driveway. You may even determine what you need to stock in the new rig before leaving on a real trip and having to go out to get it after setting up camp somewhere.

Others will jump in with more suggestions.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Welcome BJG! Glad you found us too! That 373 is some nice looking floorplan!

Kim's advice is solid and complete, but repeating the message is good. Kick those tires nice and early and check everything out while it's still in the dealer's lot. Take a CD or DVD and check out the Video/sound system, making sure everything is fine. Take a couple of flashlights and 'go CSI' on the rig. You'll be surprised how little things show up with a flashlight. Ask "What's this?" and "How does this work?" as often as you need to. A good dealership will do a live runthrough of everything from awning to winterizing. My goal would be to leave the dealer with a) a good working knowledge of every component, and b) a documented list of everything you and the dealer agree needs a touchup or service. Once home, get used to it in the comfort of your own driveway. I imagine the Gerogetown's got a good manual so some reading is in order while you have fun playing camper. Finally, Get used to maneuvering the new unit.

Hope everything goes well!

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:13 PM   #4

Welcome BJG!

Take your time on the inspection at the dealership and be sure to inspect the caulking on the roof as well. On your first trip out it may be possible that you may find deficiencies that were not seen upon your initial inspection.

For myself I found no problems on my dealership PDI and found only minor problems on my first trip such as a missing curtain sash, a couple of bad GCFI outlets and an slide topper that collects water. (Slide topper has been an ongoing problem since new with a couple of fix attempts but it finally looks as if a repair is forthcoming)

Two things that have made my towing experience much more enjoyable have been my Reese dual cam weight distribution/anti-sway system and my Prodigy brake controller.

Enjoy your inaugural trip!

2013 Camping Days: 22
2012 89 2011 50 2010 61
OregonCamper's Pics click here
OregonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote