Old 04-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #11

Hope we're OK with a Yukon

We also just bought our first travel trailer - the SV294 (with four kids we needed the bunks!)

Our friend sells us all of our cars and talked me "up" to the Yukon XL. We couldn't get a pick-up because we need the seven passenger seating. Does everyone think we'll be able to pull the trailer.

Picking ours up May 7 and then going on Dan Romanko's RV Safety Caravan to actually learn how to operate and park the beast.

Very EXCITED!!!

Old 04-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #12

Is it a 3/4 ton yukon? Does it have a tow package? Does it have a tranny cooler?All these thing will make i difference in weather or not you can pull this unit or not.Also tow capacityof truck and weight of trailer is a big factor.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #13

Yukon for towing

Our Yukon is a 1/2 Ton 5.3 L V8
It came with a hitch and something called "tow/haul" mode but we have to add a transmission and engine oil cooler. The GVWR is 7,400 lbs.

Our trailer's total dry weight is 4,673 lbs and the hitch weight is 547 lbs.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

With 4 kids and 2 adults you're going to be very close to the GVWR of the Yukon. Then you have to add at least 550 more pounds for camper tongue weight, maybe closer to 600 pounds. I would weigh the Yukon with everyone in it before I signed the papers if I could. You may be over GVWR on the Yukon if you plan on hauling any stuff in it. Also what is the GCVWR of the Yukon. If the Yukon with people weighs 7000, and the camper ready to camp weighs 5000, (conservative number here), then combined that's 12,000 pounds. I don't think the Yukon is going to be happy, and it won't like hills at all. Gas mileage, maybe 8 mpg. Good luck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #15

Smile Is my math wrong?

7,400 GVWR
-4673 dry weight of trailer
-547 hitch weight

Is this a reasonable amount to allow for clothing, food, etc. in the camper?

Am I missing something? I hope not, because I already bought the truck and the trailer! Maybe my husband will have to ride a motorcycle behind us
Old 04-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #16

Congrats on the new camper and welcome to the forum. Not sure about the towing question but I'm sure that with the knowledge here someone will be able to help you.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hills Family View Post
7,400 GVWR
-4673 dry weight of trailer
-547 hitch weight

Is this a reasonable amount to allow for clothing, food, etc. in the camper?

Am I missing something? I hope not, because I already bought the truck and the trailer! Maybe my husband will have to ride a motorcycle behind us
First off, there are dealerships that will let you tow before you buy...

The listed weight of the trailer could be a little misguided. From the forest river website ( and personal experience weighing my own trailer ) if the trailer you bought has the interior and exterior packages you will need to add roughly 500 lbs. to the listed weight. That number is the total weight of the trailer including tongue weight. My trailer weighed in at 5100 lbs ready to roll ( 235 rks - propane, battery, dishes, kids stuff, bbq, bedding, chairs etc. minus food or clothing) The trailer itself is great for towing with the independent torsion suspension and low ride height. It has somewhat of a sloped front end which makes a big difference with regards to wind resistance. Being lower to the ground also means there is less trailer above your tow vehicle and will also help with lower wind drag.

For example if you tried towing a KZ spree with your rig you would likely be very unhappy, it sits 12 - 15 inches higher and has a really flat front. There is much more to trailers than just the weight. Airstreams are not light at all but are highly regarded for there towing manners due to the aerodynamic shape (somewhat).

What year is your yukon XL? If it is an '07 or newer you will get the benefit of the six speed transmission. Does your new yukon have light truck or low profile tires? I would not skimp on proper setup, it will be important ( weight distribution, sway control, tires and possible hitch reinforcing ). A lot of dealerships can put this stuff on, some seem to care ( or understand ) a whole lot more than others how it all works, beware.

You are not going to break any speed records ( just remember your trailer tires are only rated for 65 mph anyway ) and I'm sure your yukon will work harder than you may like at times but if it is set up properly you should not have any serious problems.

Stability and performance are two different things. Stability is something you don't want to compromise. People with big vehicles have a false sense of security at times, just look at some truck setups going up and down the 401. Rear bumper almost dragging, head lights shining in the trees, don't be one of these people, please.

Have a great time camping, every trip out you will learn something new. Hopefully the lessons are too expensive! (cutting corners, backing into things etc!)

On a side note, if your trailer is brand new you should be able to find a forest river warranty extension for about $150 for an extra year. This needs to be bought in the first 10 days of ownership. I think it is a good deal for the price.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Hills Family,

Let me try this again. What is the GVWR of the Yukon? Don't even worry about the trailer right now. Next we need the actual weight of the Yukon with people and gear in for camping. Subtract those two numbers, GVWR (7400 listed),minus Actual weight of Yukon. The answer is how much more you can add to the weight of the Yukon, ie tongue weight. Next we add the trailer weight with gear, and the Yukon weight with gear and people, and see if it comes under the GCVWR (combined) of the Yukon. You need to find the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating of the Yukon. Don't get too worried, but maybe we can help with some expectations, and whether you have room to carry water or not.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #19

Congrats!!! Welcome to the campfire!! .....

2007 Salem LA 272BHSS
2006 Silverado LT2 1500 Crew Cab 2WD 5.3L/3.23
2003 Yukon XL SLT AWD 5.3L/3.73
Reese Dual Cam WD Hitch
Big Show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #20

Congrats

You're going to have a blast. You are right...do a couple overnights to get a feel for what works, what doesn't, what you like, what you'd like to change. Then you can pick and choose mods that make the most sense for you.

Our family got into camping last year and we LOVE it. Yours will too.