Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #1

Just ordered a Sandpiper

We just got back from the Hershey RV show, we just custom ordered a 2012 Sandpiper 345ret 5th wheel!!! We take delivery in somewhere around 6 weeks give it take. I'm sooo excited about it. We got to choose every option that we wanted & color scheme. It's exciting picking out everything that you want, I'm especially excited about the stone fireplace, my husband is excited about the lazy boy's! I can't wait to get it & start camping! Hopefully we can get at least 1 more trip outta the year, cause I'm not gonna wanna wait till next spring to use it!
Gone but not 4 gotten
bee191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
Brigitte

Congrats! Exciting indeed!
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #3

Congrats. You must have been happy w/ the look and feel of the stone. I did see this unit in the Springfield, MO, RV show last week. Really liked the wrap-around couch. How is the dealer? You mentioned some bad experiences with your last dealer purchase. Remember the southwest when you have snow. You could pull that unit into some warmer climates if you can catch the time.
Rebel702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel702 View Post
Congrats. You must have been happy w/ the look and feel of the stone. I did see this unit in the Springfield, MO, RV show last week. Really liked the wrap-around couch. How is the dealer? You mentioned some bad experiences with your last dealer purchase. Remember the southwest when you have snow. You could pull that unit into some warmer climates if you can catch the time.
So far our dealer, Boat n Rv has been great, hopefully that continues! We actually sat through a seminar yesterday morning about buying an rv & they talked about questions & things a good salesman should ask and they did everything & asked that the should have. So far so good! I can't wait to get it, the 6 week wait is gonna kill me!
Old 09-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #5

Congrats!! We have a '11 345 and we love it.
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #6

I must say......people on this forum are waaaay nicer then people on the rv.net forum. I posted that I had just ordered a sandpiper like I did on this forum and ever since then all I have been hearing is criticizm. From why did you buy from boat n rv & not the dealer why had a sandpiper @ the Hershey show (answer: cause the sandpiper dealer @ the show ignored me as did the majority of dealers who I know sold Forest river products, little did they know I'm a cash buyer, don't judge a book by its cover, thats why boat n rv got my business, they were the ones who took the time & talked with me) to why did you get slide toppers (Answer: cause the old TT was like a waterfall when the stabalizing jacks went up, usually the day before we leave a campground it rains & it collected on the slide, so when wee would pull the slide in it was a mad scramble to get towels & soak up the water). So, I must say you people by far are nicer & I like talking to you all much better. People on the other forum criticize my sandpiper & think that just because I don't have a $100,000 5th wheel that I'm not as good as them. Even if I had a choice between that & a sandpiper my choice would not change, I love everything about my sandpiper, thats why I chose it! I think I will stick to talking with you nice people over all of the negative ones!!!
Old 09-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #7

Please share the tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee191 View Post
So far our dealer, Boat n Rv has been great, hopefully that continues! We actually sat through a seminar yesterday morning about buying an rv & they talked about questions & things a good salesman should ask and they did everything & asked that the should have. So far so good! I can't wait to get it, the 6 week wait is gonna kill me!
The dealers at our recent show in Springfield, MO, were all pretty good about letting me cruise through and look at only the units I had an interest in without following and bugging me. They always offered to answer any questions or follow-up literature (most available online). Maybe a sexist thing (you mentioned your husband was not going to be able to attend?)
It would be nice to hear some of the tips you learned in the seminar since I am still in the shopping phase and plan on getting an order in sometime before end of year.
Not sure why some people feel they should push their positions on others. Everyone has specific things they are shopping for and reasons for their likes. I do ask others why they made their purchase decision, mainly so I can be sure I have not thought about a feature or layout.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #8

Quote:
The dealers at our recent show in Springfield, MO, were all pretty good about letting me cruise through and look at only the units I had an interest in without following and bugging me. They always offered to answer any questions or follow-up literature (most available online). Maybe a sexist thing (you mentioned your husband was not going to be able to attend?)
It would be nice to hear some of the tips you learned in the seminar since I am still in the shopping phase and plan on getting an order in sometime before end of year.
Not sure why some people feel they should push their positions on others. Everyone has specific things they are shopping for and reasons for their likes. I do ask others why they made their purchase decision, mainly so I can be sure I have not thought about a feature or layout.
The first two days of the show it was only me, my hubby had to be at work because of the floods here, so I was looking to narrow down our search so that the day he could attend we weren't having to look through hundreds of units. And yes, I do think they were being sexist/judgemental because of my age/sex. I was actually looking in a sandpiper & a salesman looked in the camper & saw that I was looking at it & before I had a chance to say a thing he walked out & asked an older couple if they needed any help! Thats crazy, he just lost a sale in my book!
Some of the tips I learned at the seminar were to not limit yourself to 1 make/model/manufacturer (even though I kinda did, but I do know I liked the rear entertainent so, thats the 1's I looked at during the show, i didn't bother looking at 1's with bunk beds or other things I know I didn't want/need), you might be missing the perfect camper that way, Don't look at things that aren't in your price range. If your budget is say $40,000, don't go looking at ones that are $100,000 just because you want to,because when you do look at one in your price range it won't look as nice. Pick a budge & stick to it even if a salesman trys to talk you into something that is more money, its your money & you know how much you can afford or not. Always, always, always have a down payment, don't fall for the 0 money down thing, you will pay more in the long run in interest to the bank. Look for a camper that you will be happy with in 5 years, don't just think of what you will need right now. Think of how you will be using it (ie: do you hunt, fish, hike, bike etc.), where are you gonna store that stuff? How many people will be camping with you (children, grandkids, other family,pets)? Will you need more than 1 or 2 beds to accomadate that? How many trips a year do you take & how ong do you go for? And look for a salesman that asks the right questions, he should ask the same questions as I had stated above, how are you using it, how many people will be in it, your price range,etc. to get an idea of how you will be using it to show you ones that will fit your needs/budget.
And another thing that the instructer said...that if you are looking to get a camper he highly recommends doing it this year. Becasue the 2012 models are being made with components that are at 2011 prices & once January hits & all the component manufacturers/workers negotiate contracts etc. prices are expected to go up about 15-25% next year. And this was coming from an instructor at a college that is highly respected in the RV industry & has been doing it for 30 years. So, if you are looking I highly recommend you do it this year! Hope some of this helps you out!!!
Old 09-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #9

And another thing that the instructer said...that if you are looking to get a camper he highly recommends doing it this year. Becasue the 2012 models are being made with components that are at 2011 prices & once January hits & all the component manufacturers/workers negotiate contracts etc. prices are expected to go up about 15-25% next year. And this was coming from an instructor at a college that is highly respected in the RV industry & has been doing it for 30 years. So, if you are looking I highly recommend you do it this year! Hope some of this helps you out!!!

Well this is something I had not heard before. Time to get my order in. We have narrowed our choice, much based on the items you mentioned. The Rockwood Windjammer 3002 fits our needs and can accommdate when we have gkids along.

Did you get any advice on extended warranties from the seminar? Does your Sandpiper qualify for the FR extra year for a small fee? Did your dealer mention the FR option?
Old 09-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #10

Quote:

Well this is something I had not heard before. Time to get my order in. We have narrowed our choice, much based on the items you mentioned. The Rockwood Windjammer 3002 fits our needs and can accommdate when we have gkids along.

Did you get any advice on extended warranties from the seminar? Does your Sandpiper qualify for the FR extra year for a small fee? Did your dealer mention the FR option?
He didn't mention extended warranties at the seminar, but we bought one that I think pretty much covers everything (our TT's frame bent this past summer & had to be totaled by isurance our ext warranty didn't cover it anyway, but almost posative this 1 does, that was the huge sale point for it!). The only thing the dealer said is that obviously we have a 1 yr bumper to bumper warranty, roof is 12 yrs & appliances vary. Dealer did not say about the FR extra year warranty but I have heard of it from reading this forum. I'll have to ask about it when we pick it up!
Old 09-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #11
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee191

Did the instructor say why the prices were going to go up 15-20%. ? Is that a normal yearly hike in RV prices or is it because it looks like this is bottom prices forRV?
Kinda glad we got our 2012 Shasta now
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #12

bee191, congrats on your new tt. I hope you have many enjoyable trips with your family.

Also thanks for posting great purchasing tips. I'm sure it will help many, first timers and experienced buyers alike.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
Did the instructor say why the prices were going to go up 15-20%. ? Is that a normal yearly hike in RV prices or is it because it looks like this is bottom prices forRV?
Kinda glad we got our 2012 Shasta now
He said that the price is gonna go up more than it normally would. Just because the cost of goods & labor is rising so much. Really glad that I ordered mine this year!