Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #1

Locks

Hi Cedar Creek, We are new to the Fifth Wheel world and have had Motor home for 20 years. We love the layout and design of the Fifth Wheel Cedar Creek. The space and room is just what we wanted. Our dogs can run free and happy. But our first fifth wheel from Cedar Creek is not giving us the most pleasurable experience. We have not used the 5th wheel yet and our going on our 3rd lock. The dead bolt on the camper freezes up and cannot open the lock so we are locked out of the camper. We were wondering if anyone else is having this issue. We feel like we can't trust the locks now that we are going to get replaced under warranty.

Any information would be helpful. Does anyone know if there are better locks we can purchase to put on our Fifth wheel.

Any input would be very helpful. Thank you.
CCreek5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCreek5th View Post
Hi Cedar Creek, We are new to the Fifth Wheel world and have had Motor home for 20 years. We love the layout and design of the Fifth Wheel Cedar Creek. The space and room is just what we wanted. Our dogs can run free and happy. But our first fifth wheel from Cedar Creek is not giving us the most pleasurable experience. We have not used the 5th wheel yet and our going on our 3rd lock. The dead bolt on the camper freezes up and cannot open the lock so we are locked out of the camper. We were wondering if anyone else is having this issue. We feel like we can't trust the locks now that we are going to get replaced under warranty.

Any information would be helpful. Does anyone know if there are better locks we can purchase to put on our Fifth wheel.

Any input would be very helpful. Thank you.
You didn't indicate which model Cedar Creek you have.....as far as the lock freezing, we camped in Virginia this past winter, in sub-freezing temps and never had the problem you described
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #3

Locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
You didn't indicate which model Cedar Creek you have.....as far as the lock freezing, we camped in Virginia this past winter, in sub-freezing temps and never had the problem you described
We have a 2015 Cedar Creek 33 foot. When I say Freezing up the key will not allow us to put the key in the hole. Dealer said the pins were dropping. I can't see why 2 would have the same issue. Took possession of the 5th wheel on July 24, 2014 and have not camped in it yet and have replaced two locks and now on a third come Monday. Is anyone else having lock issues with the cedar creeks.

Thanks
CCreek5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #4
ARLO

There may be a recall on some FR door handles. I thought I read a post somewhere. Not sure about the specifics.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCreek5th View Post
We have a 2015 Cedar Creek 33 foot. When I say Freezing up the key will not allow us to put the key in the hole. Dealer said the pins were dropping. I can't see why 2 would have the same issue. Took possession of the 5th wheel on July 24, 2014 and have not camped in it yet and have replaced two locks and now on a third come Monday. Is anyone else having lock issues with the cedar creeks.

Thanks
Oh, not THAT kind of "freezing"...sorry took it too literally

We experienced the same thing on our 38FL when it was new and spent much of it's early life on the storage lot. The more we use the locks the less trouble it was to insert the key. Our model has two doors with the same locking mechanism and the one we use least still exhibits the "freezing" to talked about in your OP

I think you'll see the problem gradually diminish as you operate the door locks on a regular basis
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
Old 09-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #6

I don't have a Cedar Creek but my V lite the key just spun around and did nothing so ours was unlocked. There was a post about the locks being recalled but instead of using the recall I went to a different company and bought new locks and when I did, replaced all the locks even the ones to the compartments and had them all keyed the same as the doors. The compartment keys to your trailer will open the guy's next door so I didn't like that idea, mine now can't be opened your keys.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:00 PM   #7

I believe the key number is a "CH-751 this is a generic key that FR uses for the storage compartment on all of there campers.
I changed mine out, I went to Lowe's and bought them. Make you buy the long cylinder type. This "CH-751 key also unlocks a standard out door propane storage cage.

I see that someone mention that their locks had pins in them, well they are not round steel pins, they brass disc pins. Disc pins are flat and easy to damage. These locks are also known as furniture locks but with a sliding cover over the key way to keep dirt out.

If you have a lock that keeps turning and does not lock or unlock there is a problem, at the other end of the cylinder there is what is called a cam, if the cam breaks the cylinder will spin 360 degrees and does nothing. The cam is what locks and unlocks the lock.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #8
Site Team

I had the same problem with a lock as you are having but it was my new lock on the front door. First time I got locked out with keys in my hand. I would recommend changing it out and not chancing it.

The 751 key/lock is commonly used in various RVs, not just FR units. A tow truck driver told me that the 751 key opens the compartment doors on his truck too. I have different locks now.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #9

Where can I get new locks? The cylinder on the bottom lock on my microlite 18FBR pulled out last time I used it. I have the hole covered with duct tape for now, but would like to change all the locks to new keys. I bought it used and only have one set of keys...

Thanks!
Brian

2008 Forest River Micro-Lite 18FBR
2000 Ford Explorer Sports Trac
WBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #10

Here is where I got mine:

http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/

Went with one key for whole trailer. They even exchanged a cylinder when I messed up and gave wrong size. Remember to measure from the bottom of the chrome head.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #11
Site Team

I suggest getting more keys made. It doesn't hurt to have a spare set (or more). I had no problems getting keys made for the new locks with the round key.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I suggest getting more keys made. It doesn't hurt to have a spare set (or more). I had no problems getting keys made for the new locks with the round key.

If that was meant for me, I may have misspoke. I have one key for all the locks but many copies around the house. We always leave a spare set in the truck if we lose them on a hike or something.

Just glad to get away
Old 09-06-2014, 10:41 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
If that was meant for me, I may have misspoke. I have one key for all the locks but many copies around the house. We always leave a spare set in the truck if we lose them on a hike or something.

It was for WBrian. Sorry about that.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:55 PM   #14

That's ok. Still sharing our vast combined knowledge.

Just glad to get away
Old 09-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #15

I can't find where I got my locks because I got a new computer and haven't got it in my favorites anymore. It is posted in one of the other threads somewhere in this forum though.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I had the same problem with a lock as you are having but it was my new lock on the front door. First time I got locked out with keys in my hand. I would recommend changing it out and not chancing it.

The 751 key/lock is commonly used in various RVs, not just FR units. A tow truck driver told me that the 751 key opens the compartment doors on his truck too. I have different locks now.
This is the reason I try to read these forums nearly everyday - there's always a new nugget of information that could save me some grief in the future....
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
Old 09-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #17

Thank you both! I plan on getting more keys, but wanna change locks, too. Probably will get keys made for those locks...

2008 Forest River Micro-Lite 18FBR
2000 Ford Explorer Sports Trac
WBrian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lock