Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2015, 09:24 PM   #1

Long journey to Forest River

I don't think I introduced myself when I first Came to the forum. My wife Shirley and I (Jerry) have had one heck of a ride getting here. We left Loveland Colorado Oct.3rd 2014 headed for Texas via Oklahoma, where we always stop and visit some looong time friends. We got as far as Denver and our old 1991 Kountry Comfort trailer got totaled. A wheel and tire on the left of the front axle came off and went off into la la land somewhere, we never did find it. the additional weight bent the rear axle to the point that the left tire on the rear axle was rubbing on the frame making mucho smoke. The frame got tweeked and the cost of repair was more than the old girl was worth. Our friends in OK said come on down and hang out with us while you look for another trailer. we did so. We manage to travel on our social security and my VA disability so there wasn't much money for another trailer. We bought a 2005 FR Salem 29RLSS from Camping World in Oklahoma City. We loved it. They had just taken it in trade and hadn't even swept it out yet, but since we live in our trailer and don't own a stick house anymore they agreed to sell it to us without even cleaning it up. What the heck we can clean it. A week later it rained and the trailer was flooded inside. We drug out a ladder and found large holes in the roof of the slide. We took it back to Camping World to see if it could be repaired and they discovered major damage that would cost more to repair than it was worth. They returned our money with no hassles. After another month, and about a thousand dollars worth of gasoline, I found a 2002 FR Salem 29RLSS in Arkansas and it was like new. The folks that had it really took super good care of it. We are now loading our belongings into it and loving it. So here we are. Man what a ride!
J W Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:44 PM   #2

Wow! You sound like you are in good spirits over your experiences. It is great that you put each situation behind you. Enjoy your new trailer!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:47 PM   #3

That was quite a ride! Good to know Camping World not only took back the leaky camper but gave your money back too. Also good to know you can make it financially full-timing on limited incomes.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:28 AM   #4

Cool story of perseverance! Thank you for sharing that. Wish you guys the best . . .
Old 01-28-2015, 05:41 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, kudos on the can-do spirit...that's getting rare these days!

And thanks for your service to this great country!!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:01 AM   #6

WOW, wonderful you can stay so positive, good for you. Welcome to the Forest River family.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river