Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #1

Long Time Forest River owner, just found the forum.

Hello! We've had our Cardinal Platinum 5er for 7 years and love it. We've been RVing for 23 years and had Shasta (Class C MH), Layton (conventional Bunk House), and Jayco (fifth wheel) before the Cardinal. We (my wife and I) love RVing and may go full time in the future. Our 2 kids are grown and have families of their own so we have the empty nest thing going on. I'm a retired teacher (band and choir) but I still work part time as a driver ed. instructor and driver safety consultant.

I just found the forums here and am looking forward to hanging out here occasionally.
CTDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
Always Learning

Welcome youngin'!
Old 06-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #3

Welcome!
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
H2oski

Welcome, it's addictive, your going to love this forum. Hopefully we can learn from all your 23 years of experience.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #5

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDguy View Post
Hello! We've had our Cardinal Platinum 5er for 7 years and love it. We've been RVing for 23 years and had Shasta (Class C MH), Layton (conventional Bunk House), and Jayco (fifth wheel) before the Cardinal. We (my wife and I) love RVing and may go full time in the future. Our 2 kids are grown and have families of their own so we have the empty nest thing going on. I'm a retired teacher (band and choir) but I still work part time as a driver ed. instructor and driver safety consultant.

I just found the forums here and am looking forward to hanging out here occasionally.
Yes welcome to the forum, I see your from West MI..Where in W. MI??

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #6

Hi everyone, thanks for the warm welcomes! We live in Jenison, which is suburban Southwest Grand Rapids.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum. I too am a retired teacher. Retired 3 years ago but still go back to my school to sub.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Hi everyone, thanks for the warm welcomes! We live in Jenison, which is suburban Southwest Grand Rapids.
OK, we know where Jenison is. Nice area away from the city life. Sister-in-law used to live near there and we used to come over quite often, but she and her Husband moved to Tucson AZ this past Jan. They had enough of Mi and cold damp weather. We spend the winter there in our Cedar Creek and find the 5 or 6 months very comfortable.
We too have talked about the full time thingy. Big big decision.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Old 06-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #9

We like Jenison about 7 or 8 months of the year, but we are also thinking about the Tucson area (Benson, AZ) for the "bad" months here. Full-timing is a big decision. I think I could jump on board with little problem, but my wife would have trouble downsizing that far, I think. Hence the "may go" instead of "are going."
Old 06-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #10

Smile

Quote:
We like Jenison about 7 or 8 months of the year, but we are also thinking about the Tucson area (Benson, AZ) for the "bad" months here. Full-timing is a big decision. I think I could jump on board with little problem, but my wife would have trouble downsizing that far, I think. Hence the "may go" instead of "are going."
Completely understand. We even had a big garage/yard sale last summer. After I got rid of all my tools and accessorizes the mood changed and we didn't sell. Maybe someday. Check out the Sundance 1 RV park in Casa Grande, Super nice park with big sites, and friendly people. We've been going there for 6 years, get the same spot and the neighbors are friendly and , will we just have a ball.
Eyes won't stay open, off to bed. Keep in touch..
George

Old 06-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #11

The hardest part of full-timing for me would be getting rid of all my tools and machines. I have a workshop in my backyard where I work on my vehicles and build stuff out of wood: bookshelves, stereo cabinets, etc. I'll take a look at Sundance 1.

Is Grand Ledge in the Lansing area? I graduated from MSU and it sounds familiar. Do you ever get to this neck of the woods? It might be fun to get a cup of coffee and swap stories.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #12

Smile

Quote:
The hardest part of full-timing for me would be getting rid of all my tools and machines. I have a workshop in my backyard where I work on my vehicles and build stuff out of wood: bookshelves, stereo cabinets, etc. I'll take a look at Sundance 1.

Is Grand Ledge in the Lansing area? I graduated from MSU and it sounds familiar. Do you ever get to this neck of the woods? It might be fun to get a cup of coffee and swap stories.
That's a pretty hard thing to do, we have our toys to work with and most of it has to go, or be put in storage when we become full timers. When we were gone from here for 6 months this year (Nov to May 25) we didn't miss a thing that was here at home. but when we got home last week we found that all the weeds found out they could grow at will and get away with it.. Wow!! Neighbor had cut my lawn 3 times before we got home.
Full timing would eliminate all that hassle.

Grand Ledge is on M-43 just west of Lansing, it's called Saginaw Hwy. and becomes M-43 as you come West out of Grand Ledge.

We probably won't get to GR this year unless we need some work on the 5er, because I take it to American RV at Camping World there on 76th street.. think that's what it's called, just off 131. I do go there in Oct for wheel packing and rig check before we start our 2,200 mile trip to AZ.
Have you given the Goshen Rally any thought? It's Aug 4th -10th in Goshen IN. It's the FROG rally. (Forest River Owners Group) We'll be there. Check the Rally threads on here to see it all.
It would be nice to meet you over coffee or something. We'll have to work on that.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #13

It is American RV (Camping World). I'm usually there at least every couple of weeks during the camping season. I had them do my wheel bearings this spring.

I just saw the Goshen rally information yesterday. I don't know if we would be able to make it, maybe for the weekend. My wife has a sister that lives in Elkhart, and we usually camp at the Elkhart Campground when we are down there. Maybe we could 'commute' to the rally for at least some of the events. I'll keep you posted if we are able to get down there. It sounds like a good time. If we happen to get over in your neck of the woods, I'll be sure to give you a shout.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #14

Smile

Quote:
It is American RV (Camping World). I'm usually there at least every couple of weeks during the camping season. I had them do my wheel bearings this spring.

I just saw the Goshen rally information yesterday. I don't know if we would be able to make it, maybe for the weekend. My wife has a sister that lives in Elkhart, and we usually camp at the Elkhart Campground when we are down there. Maybe we could 'commute' to the rally for at least some of the events. I'll keep you posted if we are able to get down there. It sounds like a good time. If we happen to get over in your neck of the woods, I'll be sure to give you a shout.
Good, that would be swell. Keep us posted.