Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #1

Looking for our first camper, so excited!!!

Hello all
We are from Lancaster, Ohio and are currently searching for our first camper to begin the fun... I have always wanted to own a camper and have my kids and grandkids experience the fun and that is exactly what we will be doing!!!
We have not found our camper yet nor have we found the "perfect" place to park it for a season so any advice, tips, etc you have I would love to hear from you.
Thank you for allowing me to post on your forum and Happy Camping
GammieCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #2

First of all, welcome to this great forum. Choosing an RV is such a personal matter it's very difficult for anyone to tell/suggest to you which type of unit you should purchase.
I suggest you and your wife sit down with paper and pencil and make a list of all the things you'd like in an RV, the "must haves", and perhaps those things that are not important. You also need to know if you want a motorhome, if so, what class A, B or C?. Do you want a trailer, if so, how long? Travel trailer or 5th wheel? What will you use/buy for a tow vehicle? Will you be comfortable driving a larger truck around once you reach you camping destination? The larger the trailer, TT or 5th wheel, the larger the tow vehicle you must have!
So you can see by just a few of the items listed above, there really is only you and your family that are in a position to help you at this point. Once the type and size of the desired RV is determined, THEN, lots of folks here can add intelligence/data to the equation which can help you select several great RV's based on their experience/opinions. Good luck and remember to
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #3

Welcome aboard. My thoughts.... but then again most thing I'm nuts and would say "pay him no mind...."

First consider where you will most likely camp for your season. Make sure it is is not to far from home or you will regret the drive. We go 90 min I wouldn't go any longer, wish it were 1/2hr. closer.

Look at the sight you want. Are there views to consider? Where do you want the main viewing window to be, font, rear, side?

Kids and grand kids, does that mean a bunk house? Will your seasonal sight allow you to add a tent on the lot? Are there any size restrictions on the trailer? Is the sight 30 amp service or 50 amp service?

What are you getting for your money at the campground? Can you leave it over the winter or do you have to take the trailer out and put it in storage some place? If so, then a tow vehicle comes into question....

I think if you know where you want to camp, you can look for trailers that will work for you at your location. For instance if you have a nice cement pad outside the trailer's door, to you want to lose space on that pad with a large slide out on the same side? There is actually a lot to think about, or not, You can just jump in and make everything work!

We camp up on Pymatuning Lake. Taking advantage of the lake views was important to us. DW wanted a large kitchen. The rear kitchen model gave us the most kitchen space while having room to entertain guests. Since it is just the 2 of us, we did not need extra sleeping room, but just in case we went with the sleeper sofa instead of the jack knife. The dining table instead of the dinette.

Plan your work, work your plan! Think about the little things because more often than not they have big consequences when we screw it up!

Good Luck, I love seasonal camping at Bay Shore resort!

Dave and Stephanie, Bristol and Spooks (rescued puggles)
2014 Puma 30RKSS
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
Camper Less Camping

Welcome and enjoy the process!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140722_133700.png
Views:	168
Size:	906.9 KB
ID:	58677

Old 07-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #5

Hello from New Philadelphia, Ohio. Your first camper will be a learning experience. Think ahead, what seems big now will grow smaller the more you use it. You have a dealer close, RV Specialties, so you don't have to drive forever just to look. Check out different floorplans and try to imagine how they fit your wants. If your grandkids will be with you a lot, you may be better off with a bunkhouse model. When a model advertises it will "sleep 8", try to visualize where those 8 bodies will actually be.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #6

When we first started to consider an RV we went around to the various dealers in our area and looked at/in trailers. This gave us a good idea of the various floor plans, features and sizes available. While we had a rough idea of how much we wanted to spend the looking around helped us nail that down. We took around 9 months to learn and shop which we think was time well spent. This time allowed us to realistically decide on the most important features and decide on what to do about a tow vehicle. The TV in turn further defined what trailers we could purchase. No that all is said and done we are satisfied with what we purchased and believe it should serve us well for a number of years.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Lots of things to think about. First, will you be towing it or having it delivered to your seasonal site? If you plan on towing it then we need to discuss how to properly match a trailer to the tow vehicle and how to really know what you can tow.

Now let's look at your needs/wants. Will your seasonal site have full hook ups or a honey wagon type service to drain tanks? If full hook up then tank size doesn't matter, if honey wagon then you want to look for larger grey and black tanks. Will you be using it in good weather only or trying to use it year round? If year round then you need a true 4 season trAiler like Arctic Fox. If you will be parking it and never moving it then you can look into larger park models.

Now think about what you want in a floor plan. How many do you want it to sleep comfortably? Go to rv dealers and shows. Take notes on what you like and don't like. Ie roundhouse, reAr living, rear entertainment, etc. Once you decide on a floor plan style then start looking at the differences between the units. Ie diskette vs booth, overhead storage, etc.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #8

GammieCamping,
Welcome from a relative newbie. First off let me tell you I am not an expert on RVs or TTs. But I have lots of experience in life and buying stuff. "Anaro" is right on target. Look around carefully and critically. It's easy to get enthusiastic, too easy. Look at your options from all the angles. Don't forget to take in to account the maintenance tasks. By that I mean prepping the trailer or RV for each trip, including hooking up to the tow vehicle and filling and emptying the tanks, set up at the camp site etc.. Be sure who ever will be piloting each mission is fully confident about being at the helm. I said it in a light hearted way but the task can be daunting. Don't let family, friends or dealers, talk you into or out of anything if you are in love with it and can honestly handle it, physically and financially.
If you don't let your enthusiasm carry you away and make an informed decision as Anaro has suggested, you will have something you will be able to enjoy for many years. Most of all don't let old "stick-in-the-mud"s like me ruin your fun.

TV: Chrysler T&C
TT: Coachmen Clipper 17FQ
MV: West Wight Potter 15
CrifasiRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #9
Take The Road Less Travld

Looking for our first camper, so excited!!!

Welcome from Cincinnati Ohio. My simple advise would be to go to several different RV dealers and RV shows and take a look around. Do that before any lists, sitting down and talking or even devoting on a type. Don't buy when looking, explore and talk amongst yourselves about what you like and dislike. Grab pamphlets at each place of all the different types you like and even the ones you don't. Good for reference. Then sit down and talk about it, the go back and look some more. Don't rush it, take your time. My wife and I looked for about a year. But we knew what we wanted when we bought. And we were happy

Take The Road Less Traveled!
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:37 PM   #10

Hi GammieCamping. My wife and I just visited RV Wholesalers while we were camping at Indian Lake State Park near Lakeview, OH. Check their website then visit them if you can. They have a huge inventory on hand. I think it helps a lot to see an RV in person. Also, for all you Buckeyes on this thread. Consider joining me and my wife at the Ashtabula Covered Bridge Festival Campout this October. A great 5 day event with fellow FROGs.
pvillebly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammieCamping View Post
Hello all
We are from Lancaster, Ohio and are currently searching for our first camper to begin the fun... I have always wanted to own a camper and have my kids and grandkids experience the fun and that is exactly what we will be doing!!!
We have not found our camper yet nor have we found the "perfect" place to park it for a season so any advice, tips, etc you have I would love to hear from you.
Thank you for allowing me to post on your forum and Happy Camping
Welcome,we just stayed at (Lancaster Campgrounds) for a week,nice C/G for what we needed. Along with all the above advice (Really sit in the units and Visualize the way you are going too use it! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #12
Site Team

Hi there!

Lots of good feedback has been provided. Renting an RV is a good way to find out what doesn't work for your family that can end up being a deal breaker for your second RV.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:09 PM   #13

Look around for RV shows, too. They're usually held in late winter/early spring (Feb-April, although some are held at other times of the year) if you think you'll be waiting that long. RV shows typically have a number of dealers and you can often see more/different trailers there than at any single dealer. Down side is they usually charge you to get in.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Look around for RV shows, too. They're usually held in late winter/early spring (Feb-April, although some are held at other times of the year) if you think you'll be waiting that long. RV shows typically have a number of dealers and you can often see more/different trailers there than at any single dealer. Down side is they usually charge you to get in.
Danger Will Robinson!
RV shows are eeeeeeeviiiiiiillllll....
They do a really good job of making you buy what you don't need.
I don't know that for a fact, someone told me.

Now for the truth, they are a lot of fun, but it's like going to Sam's or Costco, impulse buying must.be.controlled.

Good luck on your camper, when you do get one, pics or it didn't happen. (coming from a new member who hasn't posted pics yet... talk about your hypocrite... sheesh)
53jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #15

Quote:
RV shows are eeeeeeeviiiiiiillllll.... They do a really good job of making you buy what you don't need. I don't know that for a fact, someone told me.
Sure. That's what they ALL say! It's always "a friend!"

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #16

Welcome GammieCamping! Enjoy the process. Don't allow yourself to be talked into anything you don't want (ie: settling) just to get a camper. You'll know it when you see it. :-)
Rut-Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #17

Quote:
I resemble that remark.
53jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #18

I learned the hard way bought a camper that, I just loved the looks of so I had to have. It was Rear living and it is only the two of us so it would work great. Reality check I always have someone else's kiddos with me so I really needed more sleeping space so within 6 months I was trading up to a bunkhouse.
Take the time as others have suggested to really check things out. Look, look and look some more and always ask questions.
Have fun and good luck.
SweetT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #19
Take The Road Less Travld

Quote:

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:08 PM   #20

Welcome to the forums GammieCamping from Huntsville, AL.

Lots of advice here but we probably need to know a bit more about you & your needs.

Are you a park camper (i.e. One place all the time) or do you travel?
How many will be camping with you?
How often?

Those and other general infer will help us help you!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper