Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #1

Looking for what to buy...

Hey Everyone,

I am new to this forum and am just now looking to purchase a new camper. I have been doing a little research and have narrowed my search to the r pod 176T. I am willing to keep an open mind if someone would like to throw out suggestions after I explain my situation.

First my vehicle is a 2009 Subaru Tribeca which I will be adding the transmission cooler very soon. This will bring the towing capacity up to 3500#. I know this is sad, but I guess Subaru's were not meant to tow. If I had know that 3 years ago I probably would have bought something else. To continue on, I have two kids, 7 and 4, both girls that I would love to get camping sooner than later. I also have two small dogs but I am not sure if they will be traveling with us.

So based on the kid and vehicle specs what can anyone recommend and if anyone knows of a 176T that is for sale somewhere in New England, NY, NJ I will be happy to take it off their hands.

Locally, I am seeing prices of around $16,200 new with most of the options. Is this good or once again are there better options?

Lastly, how well do RV's as a whole hold their value. My wife and were talking about the rpods and due to the small number of them for resale and what I have read if one goes up for sale it rarely stays up for long. My guess is that means they hold their value well. Are there other in this under 3500# category that do the same.

To finish this off, I would like a travel trailer not a pop-up because of ease of use and the seperate bunks for my girls. I am open to suggestions and any tips anyone can provide me.

Thanks from a newbie!

waynemaw
Waynemaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Site Team

that 3500lb. number usually means with only a driver in the car. any other passengers and cargo lower that number.
you need to find out what your GCWR rating is. that's the max weight of the car and trailer.

unfortunately, a full-height TT's air resistance will be hell on that Suburu.
even the R-pod has a surprising amount of air resistance, based on owners' reviews.

and the 3500lbs. number is based on a full factory tow package. it sounds like yours doesn't. it needs to also be pre-wired for a brake controller, along with the trans cooler and a type III/IV receiver.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #3

Thanks for that reply. My Tribeca came equipped with everything other than the transmission cooler which I found odd but after running the vin this is what the dealer told me. The gross combined weight rating is 6290 from a website I found. I can't find any of those ratings direct from Subaru. My guess is I need to find out what the tribeca weighs and subtract it from the 6290 to find out if I have the 2621 of the trailer weight. Is this correct?
Waynemaw is offline   Reply With Quote