Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2017, 04:06 PM   #1

Looking to buy a Forest River rig

I'am looking to buy a 27lrss , 2017 or 2018 unit. Reading a lot of bad reviews about FRs construction problems and bad ,,,bad service from FR. Please give me honest info before I invest my money.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:24 PM   #2

To be honest, you will read much more about the bad than the good. Not because the products are bad, but, because people tend to fuss when something is wrong and not say anything when everything is good.
Good luck with your choice.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:41 PM   #3

My honest opinion?? if buying new you would prolly have more chance of some problem. I bought new last fall and had 2 problems so far. Water heater DSI failure of board(known problem with Suburban) and slide not square with opening(not fixed as yet). Not an expensive RV to start with. The more crap you have the more failures you will experience.

Good luck and the quest is part of the fun!!
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:34 PM   #4

Welcome from Southern Illinois.
In my opinion an rv is not an investment, more of a great hobby that you have to keep working at and spending more money on.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Welcome from Southern Illinois.
In my opinion an rv is not an investment, more of a great hobby that you have to keep working at and spending more money on.
Agreed. I've always said owning RVs is like owning horses. They are a full time maintenance job that you throw $$$ at so you can enjoy them occasionally

OP, you will have problems to be fixed under warranty the first year. Hopefully nothing major. Doesn't matter what brand you buy. Don't go back to the dealer, find an independent service to handle warranty. You will be much happier.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:06 PM   #6
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Pedrick View Post
I'am looking to buy a 27lrss , 2017 or 2018 unit. Reading a lot of bad reviews about FRs construction problems and bad ,,,bad service from FR. Please give me honest info before I invest my money.
If you look hard and test various components carefully you will reduce the risks of buying something that would give you serious nightmares. Keep it simple, the more moving parts the more there is for potential problems. And like others here have said, expect this to be an enjoyable hobby that requires care and maintenance.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:44 PM   #7

My wife and I started looking at rv's about two years ago. We didn't buy during that time for one reason or another but we were very close several times.

I have a problem...I research stuff until I can't stand myself. We looked at everything within a 100 miles radius from every brand. The wife found floor plans she liked in some models from a couple manufactures and I couldn't find a screw that was driven in properly on some. I was nearly driving her bonkers but she understood that we weren't buying until I was ok with the unit since I'm the fixer.

What I determined is this: There are good units and bad units of the same model with the same manufacturer. We agreed on a couple floor plans from a few manufacturers and looked at every rig in the area. Some were down right shocking how crappy they were... We found a Jayco that we liked and they had two on the lot. One of them had wrinkles on the inside and the frame had rust on it. They forgot the trim in places and a door wouldn't shut. The other unit was great. When we went to buy the 'good' unit it was sold.

We found the same with Forest river. There was a 5er we liked that looked great and one looked like drunken idiots put it together. We decided against the 5er because we needed the truck bed for hauling stuff. The unit we bought had just come in and the finish was better than the other two on the lot of the same model...so we bought it.

I still found a couple things that were not up to my standards but they were minor and I adjusted things to my liking.

So, my advice is look at everything you can. Be patient and pick the best you find. Oh, most of the salespeople we had didn't know very much...in fact, towards the end of our search, I found that I knew more than a few of them and considering I had never owned an rv that is pretty sad.

Good luck.

Tags
forest river