Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2017, 10:33 PM   #1

Looking to move up from a tent trailer

Hello all,

Our family of four has decided to enter the world of travel trailers. We're looking specifically at a couple of Forest River models, which is what led me to this forum. We're former pop up campers who loved the pup when she was up, but tired of tedious set up, take down, and wet canvas.

I'll be posting some specific questions in the other forums, specifically about the Cherokee 274DBH and Grey Wolf 26DBH. So if you have any of those campers, hopefully you'll chime in. Thanks in advance!
MILover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:44 PM   #2

Tip of the Mitt,you should find a Dealer who has one of the Models you like and take the Family and Sit in it closed and open,and "Play House"! See if everyone is happy with it! Youroo!!
Old 01-23-2017, 10:48 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to FRF!

It would help us make suggestions, if you posted what you'll be towing with. Include its specs.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Welcome to FRF!

It would help us make suggestions, if you posted what you'll be towing with. Include its specs.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Forest River Forums mobile app
Thanks bikendan. Sorry - I thought I had done that already because I entered by tow vehicle's info. in my profile. Just assumed it would show up below. I've since added it to my signature, so it should show up.
MILover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILover View Post
Thanks bikendan. Sorry - I thought I had done that already because I entered by tow vehicle's info. in my profile. Just assumed it would show up below. I've since added it to my signature, so it should show up.
Though apparently it hadn't taken effect yet in my last reply. Looks like it's showing now. 2013 Tundra doublecab 4x4 5.7. I have posted in the towing forum as well, since we question the tongue weight.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:06 AM   #6

Welcome from SW Ohio and good luck in your TT quest !
Old 01-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #7

Welcome from Lancaster PA!!

Good luck on all the new adventures ahead!!

Camped
2016 - 21 nights
2017 - 42 + scheduled....
Life is great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #8

Welcome, MILover
Glad to hear your moving on up.
Have fun choosing with lots to choices to pick from.
Happy camping and good luck.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:16 PM   #9

Forest River

I read this forum a few times a week and seems as though Forest River has had many issues. A couple I was following were removed. I would proceed with caution. Just sayin
zookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:30 PM   #10

Welcome to the Forums and congrats on your decision to get a TT MILover (BTW, DW is a Michigander as well

Ask questions - the folks on the Forum are very friendly and knowledgeable!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookie View Post
I read this forum a few times a week and seems as though Forest River has had many issues. A couple I was following were removed. I would proceed with caution. Just sayin
Zookie - All RV companies have some issues - some more than others. In our many years of association with Forest River, we have found that Forest River tends to fall in the "less issues than others."

It is the nature of the beast that you hear (often loudly and passionately) when there are issues, but you never seem to hear the satisfied customers.

Maybe because they are out camping
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #12

WELCOME

Quote:
We're former pop up campers who loved the pup when she was up, but tired of tedious set up, take down, and wet canvas.
SInce you are used to the "outdoors" quality of canvas, have you thought about a hybrid?

I have a 2014 Shamrock that I graduated to from a popup and the wife and I luv it. So much easier to unpack/pack for travel, plus still gives us the sensation of staying in a tent rather then being surrounded by walls. Plus a little lighter and easier to pull, with the advantage of giving more interior room then a std travel trailer in a smaller space. Any wet canvas is enclosed (locked away from getting bedding wet) when taking down... just set up again in the sun to dry it out before long term storage.

Just asking...

have fun looking and keep asking questions

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:09 PM   #13

Looking to move up from a tent trailer

MI lover, I have a grey wolf 26rr toy hauler, I know floor plan is different from the two you are looking at. I love my Grey Wolf. IMO it's great trailer for the price. Of course I shopped around and got a great price. Drove to Ohio to get it. You will have some small issues most likely that will be missed on the PDI.

The only thing I would do different is spend more time with PDI and spend a shake down weekend close to the dealer.

I got mine at suburban RV in Mansfield Ohio. Tom is great to work with and great at pricing. Good luck with your decision. According to map they are 3 1/2 hours from you. He actually has a 2017, 26dbh for $17,480. He normally orders them with the little extras that some other places don't.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
WELCOME

SInce you are used to the "outdoors" quality of canvas, have you thought about a hybrid?

I have a 2014 Shamrock that I graduated to from a popup and the wife and I luv it. So much easier to unpack/pack for travel, plus still gives us the sensation of staying in a tent rather then being surrounded by walls. Plus a little lighter and easier to pull, with the advantage of giving more interior room then a std travel trailer in a smaller space. Any wet canvas is enclosed (locked away from getting bedding wet) when taking down... just set up again in the sun to dry it out before long term storage.

Just asking...

have fun looking and keep asking questions
Thank you all for the kind welcome comments! Rsdata, your points are well taken. We did seriously consider hybrids, but knew that we would still likely want to "upgrade" again. At this point, we just want to say good-bye to canvas. I know it's fantastic to sleep under that tenting, but other aspects of it we won't miss.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
MI lover, I have a grey wolf 26rr toy hauler, I know floor plan is different from the two you are looking at. I love my Grey Wolf. IMO it's great trailer for the price. Of course I shopped around and got a great price. Drove to Ohio to get it. You will have some small issues most likely that will be missed on the PDI.

The only thing I would do different is spend more time with PDI and spend a shake down weekend close to the dealer.

I got mine at suburban RV in Mansfield Ohio. Tom is great to work with and great at pricing. Good luck with your decision. According to map they are 3 1/2 hours from you. He actually has a 2017, 26dbh for $17,480. He normally orders them with the little extras that some other places don't.
Thanks for the heads up! We definitely like to shop around. Our local dealer claims "no one beats their prices." I'll make sure to test him on that, lol.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILover View Post
Thanks for the heads up! We definitely like to shop around. Our local dealer claims "no one beats their prices." I'll make sure to test him on that, lol.
Get the "No one beats their prices" in writing ! Just saying

Tags
tent trailer, trailer