Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #1

lots of questions

I am new to camping and will have tons of questions. I have been retired for a while and currently work part time to help pay for my toys. I am about to pull the trigger on a 2012 windjammer 3065w, my tow vehicle is a 2001 F250 4x4 with a 5.4 and 373 gears. I purchased the truck new and its in great shape, however it has 140,000 miles on it , I have been told by the dealer (who will say anything to sell a unit ) that the windjamer is listed as a light weight and can be towed by a half ton pickup.The base dry weight is 7065, I have been told my 250 will tow it without any problems. I do plan to up date the truck probably in another year, but in the mean time I plan to travel the coast and maybe a trip out west. I have towed my 6000lb boat short distances without any problems. The truck is set up with the tow package, and of course the dealer was really glad to set me up with a great hitch with sway bars (included in the deal, yeh right) What do you all think ? enough truck thanks in advance..Chuck from Va
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #2

You should be ok pulling with that set up and welcome from California
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
Always Learning

Likely alright, but the numbers are easy enough to calculate.

You can use this page on my blog to get a feel for the numbers here:
http://www.learntorv.com/p/what-can-i-tow.html

And you can use this calculator to get an idea of what your tongue weight will be:
http://www.learntorv.com/2013/12/tow...alculator.html
Old 12-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #4

You should be fine with your truck but get a hitch with integrated sway control, not just sway bars, for that trailer. The Equal-i-zer E4 and Reese Dual Cam are popular and work well when set up correctly.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses. The dealer has suggested a equalizer hitch manufactured by e2. This is supposed to handle weight distribution as well as sway. Its a rigid control system. The dealer appears to be safety conscious so I will stick with their package and hope for the best. The financing is done, we just have to get the paper work signed and then they have a instruction time and they go through the entire system with the owner. The weather here is lousy , cold ,wind, and rain ( at least no snow ), so it will be a while before she goes on her maiden voyage. I can't wait, this has been a dream of mine for 15 years and I am anxious to get started. I am sure the first trip will probably be frustrating , hopefully not. If it goes smooth I will be surprised. It will be somewhere close by so I can yell for help if need be. I am used to boats and their systems, they seem about the same, except you have to park it rather than dock it. Before long you will see another Windjammer 3065W on the road. Chuck in Virginia
Old 12-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Congrats Chuck! There is a list on the forum here somewhere (someone will be along shortly to tell you where it is) that goes through the entire PDI (pre-delivery inspection), and everything involved. It's quite handy.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
Thanks for the responses. The dealer has suggested a equalizer hitch manufactured by e2. This is supposed to handle weight distribution as well as sway. Its a rigid control system.
Don't get the E2 for a trailer as long as yours is.
you're going to need the 4-point Equal-i-zer for that big of a trailer.
IMHO, the E2 is fine for smaller trailers but yours will need all the help it can get.
my HTT is 10' shorter than yours and i went with the 4-point one. well worth the extra money.
plus it's made in the U.S., while the E2 is made in China.

please do some research on the differences between the two and read some RV forums discussions on them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #8

We tow our 2014 Windjammer 3008 with a 3/4 ton Silverado with a gas engine and an Equal-I-zer 4-point hitch. We've put about 12,000 on this combination since last March and it does just fine.

When we got this trailer - trading up from a Rockwood 2604 - we had a 1/2 ton Silverado. It just wasn't quite enough of a horse for the Windjammer, but the 2500 Silverado does great.

Congratulations on the windjammer 3065.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #9

I will be towing my windjammer 3065w with a gas F250, it should handle the TT. I probably won't break any land speed records, but I am hoping it will do the job. I am still learning this RV thing, I have gained a ton of information on this forum so far, and I haven't left the lot yet. I also know that RV dealers are like car dealers and will usually tell you anything to close the sale. This RV dealer does have a good reputation and has been around a while, so I am kinda at his mercy. I am hoping he has told me the straight scoop about the tow package, hitch and brake controller. Only time will tell. Lets hope it all works out. I can't wait to meet other campers and get their opinions on different items of interest, that is where one gains a lot of information, I am sure I am about to learn a lot in a short period of time. But that is the fun about being a senior citizen..Keep the opinions coming. Chuck in Virginia. Days camping in 2013..0, that will change in 2014.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #10

By the way I thought of another question, this TT has a fireplace, does this thing put out any heat or is it just for looks ?
Old 12-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #11

It puts out some BTU's.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #12

Well. I picked up my Windjammer today, pretty painless. The pre delivery check was very complete lots of detail. I have already forgotten most of it, most everything was common sense except getting the water heater back on line after de winterizing.That will take some practice but hopefully will become second nature after doing it a few times. I hope most of it will be in a owners manual. The adventure continues Chuck in Va .
Old 12-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
I have already forgotten most of it, most everything was common sense except getting the water heater back on line after de winterizing.That will take some practice but hopefully will become second nature after doing it a few times. I hope most of it will be in a owners manual.
Your camper's owners manual will be pretty unhelpful but the manual for the water heater itself might be. Otherwise, we're here to help come spring (or warmer weather)!
Old 12-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #14

I did have one incident after picking the up the trailer from the dealer. I pulled the trailer to my sisters home where it will be stored for a short time. The trailer towed great and my f250 handled the load. I was unhooking the trailer, and I was unable to get the ball to disengage from the trailer, I pulled forward and backed up, that sucker was locked in place, I jumped on the bumper and rocked the truck. The only way I was able to get it loose was to pull the hitch pin and drive forward and then the receiver came out. After that the ball released the trailer. In looking at the set up the receiver ball is slightly tilted toward the truck, thus putting everything in real bind. I took the receiver back to the dealer today where they made an adjustment, hopefully that will work, the only way to know is to hook it up and ride around. I am glad it happened any place other than a campground. I live on the Chesapeake Bay and spring time if you see someone headed toward a boat ramp and the boat has temp tags, follow and watch them its a hoot. Well I would be the one in the campground with a new trailer with temp tags and this fellow can't even up hook his trailer. I did save myself some embarrassment . Chuck in Virginia
Old 12-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #15

First time I pulled my 25 ft TT cross country with a 5.4 L Ford with 4 speed, I bought a bigger truck, diesel and 6 speeds plus tow/haul, 4x4 with a jake brake as soon as I got back to Norcal.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #16

The heater will put out a lot of heat. Do not try and use the auto feature if you have one. In addition, we have to shut off our heater before we can use the microwave, too much pull on 30 amps
Old 12-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #17

I noticed the microwave/ heater switch next to the entry door. I only ran the heat for a short time at the dealer it seemed to put out a fair amount of heat I think it would knock the chill off, but not heat the entire rv although I think the paper work states heating 400 sg ft. Why not run it on auto ? does it over heat the circuit, it must draw some amps. Chuck in Virginia
Old 12-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #18

Quote:
I noticed the microwave/ heater switch next to the entry door. I only ran the heat for a short time at the dealer it seemed to put out a fair amount of heat I think it would knock the chill off, but not heat the entire rv although I think the paper work states heating 400 sg ft. Why not run it on auto ? does it over heat the circuit, it must draw some amps. Chuck in Virginia
I run the mico and the firer place heater all the time together. They are on different breakers. The firer place electric heat works really well to take the chill off in the morning without using your furnace. It all depends how it is wired every FR unit is different, and it is impossible to get a diagram, they told me that it depends on who wired the unit. Atleast that is what the factory told me. By the way welcome, If you want a short trip come down to Clarksville on the John Kear lake. It's ran by the COE we have about 5 CG on the water. You can stop at the dam and get a pass that saves you 1/2 price not bad camping with water and electric for like 12.00 a night with the pass.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #19

Get a tire gauge and check the tire pressure before each trip and if going a long distance at least once during the trip.

Safety first and always.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #20

Quote:
By the way I thought of another question, this TT has a fireplace, does this thing put out any heat or is it just for looks ?

If it is like ours, It will put out some SERIOUS BTUs! In fact we use the fireplace to heat our 5er (31') when it gets chilly (set the thermostat on 80° and the timer for 5 hours will usually get us through a chilly night without using the furnace
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote