Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #1

Michigan Camper

Hello to all my fellow Forest River product owners! I am sure glad I found this forum. So many questions...so much to learn as this is my first travel trailer.

I purchased a 2002 Sandpiper 27BH travel trailer a few months ago and we truly love it. My wife is from a camping family having owned and camped most of their lives. Me, well, I am not and am struggling a little with the locations they chose to camp. Primarily primitive (I think you guys call it 'dry') locations in the Manistee National forest.

Don't get me wrong, I love the forest with the nature and serenity it provides. Where I struggle is we have this nice travel trailer and are limited to the conveniences we can use due to not being able to plug-in to power.

The travel trailer does not have a tv and we plan to install one next year. My concern is how to power a small tv (20"HD tv/dvd combo) when primitive camping without using a generator. The trailer owners manual states there is a 1000W DC to AC inverter. I can not find it or the switch to activate it to save my life.

I understand if there is an inverter and I figure out how to use it, the tv/dvd unit would probably drain the single 12V battery rather quickly.

Anyway, I will be searching forum topics and learning from others how to best use a modern day travel trailer while adapting to a primitive camping site world. I look forward to conversations with others and maybe one day I will know enough to provide assistance to other future new campers like myself.
TwinLakeCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #2

as a former michiganian i wave yuall a big ole tn welcome
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum I highly doubt that you have an inverter but i may be wrong. You can get solar charger for your battery or plug into your truck to charge battery if you need to. I never dry camp i am too spoiled and like you said why have all this cool stuff to camp with if you cant use it. Are you allowed to use generator ? If so i would be getting one and you can haul extra water with some empty jugs or a tote. If your wife has been dry camping she will know a lot of way to consevre just listen to her and try to make amends like ok we dry camp this time but we go where we can get electric and water the next time
Old 09-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #4

Welcome. We bought our trailer in Grand Rapids and brought it home to Canada. It had been a while since we had been through Michigan and I have to say we were pleasantly surprised by the improved rest areas and road infrastructure on the way to Grand Rapids. I agree with Chevy02. Start on an alternating camp basis. After short while your wife will become accustomed to the amenities and want them all the time. It hasn't taken us many trips to want electricity all the time. Just take your time and enjoy your rig and your time together. Old Guys
Old 09-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
Jan Goldfield

As a Michigander, born and raised, but who rolled downhill to New Orleans, hi from the Deep South.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #6

Thanks for the warm welcomes and advice. Due to the hot summer (well, hot by Michigan standards) fortunately my wife and the rest agreed to camp at a place with electricity so we could use the a/c and other 110V items. Now that it is cooling down, back to the woods we go. Guess it is time I purchase a generator.
TwinLakeCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
MrT

As all have shared, welcome to the forum from the Grand Rapids area!

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote