Old 01-15-2015, 09:51 PM   #21

I would love the opportunity to mine the mother/father lode of advice here, especially your opinions of local dealers. SeaHarley, what was the learning curve for you before your purchase? My DH and I have been reading extensively and I have to say, the "pig in a poke" factor is high buying used. We're looking at dealers used trade-in stock and from what we're seeing these deals that they offer for more recent older models don't seem all that great a bargain, particularly when you factor in the lack of warranty and the likelihood of problems. The discount, for instance on one of the models we are checking out between a 2013 vs. a 2015 model isn't more than 3000 in the base price. And that is with more loaded add-ons (grill, etc) on the brand new deal. We don't want to bet our bank account on loving this lifestyle, but at the same time, we don't want to buy a lemon that sours us on RVing from the get go. GalsofEscape, dblr, ependyDad, what say you? So far we have been checking out the stock at Leo's, Beckleys, Chesaco and Bay RV. Any other dealers to check out (or to avoid)? Who not to deal with is also important.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:54 PM   #22
Fulltime family RVer

I can safely say avoid Berks Mont Camping Center in Pottstown, PA area. The price was right, but service after the sale sucked.

I've heard good things about Beckley's though they jerked friends of mine around on pricing (of course there are 2 sides to every story- I've only heard one).

I prefer buying new.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:10 PM   #23

Welcome from Elkton, MD. We attend the Timonium show as well and there are alot of units to go into and then you can see what it is you may like. Do research on types and floorplans http://www.forestriverinc.com/recrea...-vehicles.html

"Camping is not just a past time it is my relaxing way of life"
buskirk21921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:29 PM   #24

Our floor plan needs are very basic for 2, kitchen with larger fridge (not under counter) burners (prefer 3) oven, comfortable Queen size or larger bed, indoor shower, br sink, toilet. Sofa is preferred to dinette, but not absolutely. We're willing to be flexible. Our goal is to get started asap We've been to a number of RV shows, but the problem for us is that we aren't willing to rush into a deal for something new based on a "maybe we'll like it." Moreover, our experience has been that, for the most part, once you say the word "used" at the show, the salespeople aren't all that interested. I wish that there was someone who could do pre-purchase checks on used trailers to keep newbies like us from making mistakes.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:31 PM   #25

I also preferred to buy new. We bought from Chesaco but I did not finance through them. I liked our salesman but the service is hit or miss. The pdi was not good, we were first time buyers and the pdi was a quick walkthrough. Did not show us how the stuff worked, just pointed out features and I did not know better at the time. It was a very steep learning curve after the purchase, and we made some newbee mistakes, but we fixed them and carry on. We really enjoy our camper.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:25 PM   #26

GalsofEscape, can I ask the name of your sales rep?
Old 01-16-2015, 07:42 AM   #27

My personal suggestion for a good and fair( in my opinion) would be check out Stoltzfus RV in Adamstown Pa. and ask for Lee Vought, that's who I dealt with on our Cedar Creek and was very satisfied. A bit of a trip but all the Cedar Creek dealers were from where we live Cheasco was the closest but did not want to deal with them.
Check their site for used units as I know they have plenty but also compare to the new ones as sometimes it might be a better deal to go new, good luck and keep asking questions.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:39 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlbalt View Post
Our floor plan needs are very basic for 2, kitchen with larger fridge (not under counter) burners (prefer 3) oven, comfortable Queen size or larger bed, indoor shower, br sink, toilet. Sofa is preferred to dinette, but not absolutely. We're willing to be flexible. Our goal is to get started asap We've been to a number of RV shows, but the problem for us is that we aren't willing to rush into a deal for something new based on a "maybe we'll like it." Moreover, our experience has been that, for the most part, once you say the word "used" at the show, the salespeople aren't all that interested. I wish that there was someone who could do pre-purchase checks on used trailers to keep newbies like us from making mistakes.
Hi pearlbalt,
I bought my first TT used. I found it on Craig's List, spoke to the couple that was selling it and schedule a time for us to see it. They were great and had all of the original paperwork. They allowed us to try everything to make sure it worked. When we were done looking and testing, we bought it. We used it for 8 years and sold it in great condition. Our 5'er we bought from Jeff Couch's in Ohio. We searched for a floorplan we liked and priced it around where we live. The price difference was almost $20,000 between here and the Wholesaler. Guess where I went to pick up the new 5'er, yep road trip to Ohio. I would do it again in a heart beat to save that kind of $$$. The experience was also a very good one. Brian Scruggs was our salesman and he took care of us from beginning to end. We ordered what we wanted and he kept in contact with me every week. We even e-mailed back and forth after I bought it and used it. He was genuinely happy and helpful.

I live not far from Chesaco. I've been there for a fridge recall on my old TT and had good service. I've been there for parts and was treated like I kicked their parrot in the showroom. I have no experience with their RV sales, financing etc.

My advice is to relax, find what you're looking for, go check it out, talk to the seller (private/used/dealer) and if you're comfortable, do it. If not keep looking. It'll happen and you'll have fun when you go camping

2015 Sierra 32QBBS-23 nights camped since the end of June 2014
2015-sorry to say only 11 nights so far, more to come though
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlbalt View Post
GalsofEscape, can I ask the name of your sales rep?
sorry, missed your question until now. Our salesman was Nick, he has been there awhile and is still there. we usually see him at the RV show in timinonium and he always recognizes us and chats.

But know your tow limits, we bought a camper whose gross weight rating was just at the limit for our tow vehicle. It worked as long as we took local trips, but we were planning a real long distance trip to Yellowstone and I realized we had to get a better tow vehicle. This is a very common story get camper, then upgrade tow vehicle, then upgrade camper etc, etc, etc.....
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #30

Best thing we ever did when first buying our 5er was make a list of must have items and a list of would be nice to have items before we decided we went threw the list with each possible unit and chose the one with the most pluses.

Tags
led