Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2015, 09:20 PM   #1

Muddled in Maryland

Hi, my husband and I are just dipping our toes into the RV pond. We are looking at our first travel trailer and, as it happens, all of the top possibilities are Forest River manufactured. Which forum would be the best to ask for advice on our choice? Thanks in advance.
pearlbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:30 PM   #2

You'll find no better forum, Forest River or otherwise, in which to ask your question(s.) The folks on here are super helpful and have been (by far) the best resource for figuring out my RV and fixing it when necessary.

So, to your question: have you picked out a floor plan you like, or are you sort of randomly looking at units on dealers' lots where you live? What do you want your RV to be able to do? Driveable or towable? If towable, what's your tow vehicle (known as your TV here.) There's lots of questions you can answer just by asking them here and Internet shopping before you even go near a dealer's lot. So, fire away!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:55 PM   #3

Welcome! We too are looking for a travel trailer (TT). We have narrowed it down to a few models and are hoping to really be able to compare units at the Tampa RV show this coming weekend. We are also hoping that a lot of vendors will be there with accessories. We are really trying to think through how we function/live and what needs take priority. Each unit floor plan is a little different and we need to decide if storage and big bath trump rear living space and privacy.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:05 PM   #4

Welcome from a fellow Marylander

There are a ton of good people here and everyone is very helpful. Just ask any question you have and you will be amazed how many answers you get and how soon.

2015 Sierra 32QBBS-23 nights camped since the end of June 2014
2015-sorry to say only 11 nights so far, more to come though
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:53 PM   #5

muddling through

We have a 2004 Ford Expedition with a towing package and are looking at a new 2014 surveyor SC201RBS at 15,600, and a used 2013 Rockwood Mini lite 2109S for which they are asking 14,900. One more choice is a more stripped down 2015 Wildwood s lite FS195BH for 11000. Although I like the Mini, my feeling is it would be far better to buy the Surveyor or the Wildwood with a warranty. Both are good for two people who are just buying to try out the RV experience and then hopefully, buy up. We were just hoping for something less expensive in the used market, but I'm beginning to wonder if used would really be much more of a bargain than new, especially if we have to get into repairs or extended warranties. Your input would be appreciated.
Pearl
Old 01-13-2015, 02:16 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum from Southern Maryland!

The Dulles Expo Center in Chantilly, VA is having an RV show this weekend, January 16-18. The Timonium RV Show is February 13-15 and 20-22. There should be plenty of Forest River RV's at both shows.
Nights camped in 2021 Flagstaff: 2021(151) 2020(109)
Nights camped in 2009 Rockwood: 2019(62) 2018(33) 2017(25) 2016(31) 2015(34) 2014(37) 2013(36) 2012(37) 2011(21) 2010(48) 2009(33) 2008(18).
Brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:08 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlbalt View Post
Hi, my husband and I are just dipping our toes into the RV pond. We are looking at our first travel trailer and, as it happens, all of the top possibilities are Forest River manufactured. Which forum would be the best to ask for advice on our choice? Thanks in advance.
Welcome!
I recommend you post in the General TT/5th Wheel Discussion section, since you're asking about multiple TT's.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:30 AM   #8

Timonium show coming up next month. We go every year, just to drool all over the new stuff
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:52 AM   #9

Welcome and ditto on the RV show in Timonium next month. Many of the MD dealers are there and it is inside. Lots of units to look at. We go every year for something to do in February as well as too see what is new.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:42 AM   #10

Thanks for the advice. Been to a few RV shows and done some reading. We're ready to buy but looking for people who've used these models. If we don't buy by February, we'll see you in Timonium.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:44 AM   #11

Which models are you interested in?
Old 01-13-2015, 09:44 AM   #12

muddled in Maryland

We have a 2004 Ford Expedition with a towing package and are looking at a new 2014 surveyor SC201RBS at 15,600, and a used 2013 Rockwood Mini lite 2109S for which they are asking 14,900. One more choice is a more stripped down 2015 Wildwood s lite FS195BH for 11000. Although I like the Mini, my feeling is it would be far better to buy the Surveyor or the Wildwood with a warranty. Both are good for two people who are just buying to try out the RV experience and then hopefully, buy up. We were just hoping for something less expensive in the used market, but I'm beginning to wonder if used would really be much more of a bargain than new, especially if we have to get into repairs or extended warranties. Your input would be appreciated.
Pearl
Old 01-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #13
fx2

I, personally, would not buy used on any kind of RV. You just don't know how it was cared for and any problems lurking. At least with a new one, as you stated, you have the warranty to take care of any issues and you can get the second year FR warranty for, most models, $150. I know that is what we did on our Surveyor and I would do it all over again.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:17 AM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Pearl
I think if I bought used, I'd definitely buy an extended warranty. Lots of opinions, but there's mine. Just remember, no matter how new the used unit is- there is no factory warranty that comes with it for the unit nor for any of the components (appliances, toilets, etc.).

New units all have problems. Most are little, but some are big.

Used units likely have problems. It's a toss up as to how well it was maintained- you can only inspect so much.

That said, here's my thoughts on the 3 models that you laid out based on looking at the floorplans for the current model year floorplan picture from a Google search:

1) Surveyor SC201RBS - it looks like this one has a nice bit of storage in the bathroom. It looks like it has "overhead" (OHD) cabinets above the sofa and sink/stove. Counter top space seems fairly non-existent. I wonder if a flip-up counter top can be added to 1/2 of the front of the sink. I don't like that the TV is beside of the couch- it makes it awkward to try and watch (I have this in my camper). I like the tub size. I'd also want to see the camper with the slide in/closed to make sure you can get to the fridge and toilet while traveling.

2) Rockwood Mini lite 2109S - You definitely have less bathroom storage space, but you do get the pantry right outside of it. I'm a big boy and don't like corner showers- I can't bend down easily to take care of business. But, you can definitely get to the fridge and toilet while you're on the road; it also seems like getting to the bed isn't a problem. It looks like you have some counterspace beside of the stove. I like that the couch faces the TV (which is probably on a swivel arm so you can watch TV from bed or from the couch). Looks like you have cabinets over the sofa and the stove/sink. I like the pass through storage and exterior accessible storage. Definitely opt for the rear ladder (I'm a little saddened that is an "option").

3) Wildwood s lite FS195BH - the first thing that jumps out at me is the person sleeping on the forward side of the bed is going to have to climb over the other person or climb out the bottom. In my pop-up, we did this and I came to hate it. Inevitably, I'd get the urge to pee but didn't want to wake up my wife. I think you also mentioned that it is just you and your spouse- the bunks will likely be wasted space if that's the case. This unit doesn't seem to have a sofa for lounging and dinettes get uncomfortable after a while if you're stuck inside for a stretch of time. Finally, I'm not sure how I'd feel about the lack of a bathroom sink- seems weird to brush my teeth and shave in the kitchen sink (is there a mirror?). Looks like there is decent places for cabinets, but I do wonder where your hanging clothes would go with them all being overhead cabinets. It looks like the under the bed storage is accessible from outside, so that's convenient.

Personally, I like the Rockwood of these 3 but floorplans are ENTIRELY personal. What I like may be what you dislike or is a non-issue for you.

I really recommend bundling up and going to a RV lot for a few hours. Spend a good hour in each and play pretend that you two are camping. Make sure you pretend to cook, potty (#1 and #2), shower, watch TV, all that jazz. Think about where you'll store things.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Welcome from another Marylander... We are in Parkville.
We looked for about a year and a half. Went to RV show, etc. Looked a lot on Craigslist for used ones and ended up with a 2 year old model.

We wanted to go used for our first one because we knew there would be a learning curve for what we really want, need and like. That means we will be turning this around in a year or 2. So we didn't want to buy new and take a real bath....

It basically comes down to your budget, what you like at this time.
As we learned with boating, as big as they appear at the beginning, they will tend to get real small on you after you buy and use them for a while. That being said, I would recommend getting the largest one you can safely tow and afford.

Good Luck.

2015 Overnight Camping Days = 25, States Below:
SeaHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:30 PM   #16

Good afternoon and welcome from SW Idaho.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:27 PM   #17

Thanks for the responses. Certainly a lot of great points worth considering, both about the layouts and the warranty issues. Our goal is to have a trailer by this spring. We're taking our time, but afraid if we take too much time, we'll never get on the road. It's pretty scary in some ways because this is a major investment for us.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:59 PM   #18
Always Learning

You've got a bunch of members just down the road. GalsOfEscape is just outside of Catonsville and I'm in Columbia. Feel free to pick our brains!
Old 01-14-2015, 12:08 AM   #19

Ditto What ependydad said. And hope to see you at a campground soon.....
Old 01-15-2015, 07:37 AM   #20

Also members up in Elkton & just across the state line in Newark De. and we could help you out also with dealers, like who not to deal with!!!!!!!!!!
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led