Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2015, 07:04 AM   #1

Need some advice and information?

Hello:
I am just starting to look into buying a travel trailer but I am going to be limited to under 3000 lbs dry weight or maybe around the 2800 lbs. I am currently driving a Montana van which is rated for 3500 total weight and I have put in heavy duty shocks and a trailer hitch rated for 4000 lbs. The van has been completely serviced and has about 12000 km's on it so lots of travelling still left on it. My options are limits I know but I am looking for a travel trailer which has a queen size bed, full bathroom, hopefully dual axle system, would be nice is I could get 15 inch rim and wheels or at least change 14's to 15's, and the trailer is a good touring one as I will be using it to travel from Canada to lower states. I am looking for advice in what type of Travel trailer might be available to me and if anyone tows travel trailers in the 17'-19' class with smaller vehicle, 6 cylinder, please help me out.
RVpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:23 AM   #2

I was in the same situation when I bought our first TT. Originally, I was limited to 3500, but later I found that my Highlander had a towing package that bumped me up to 5000. You will not likely find a trailer with dual axles in the 3500 weight range. I thought about a Rockwood Mini 1905 before I realized I had the towing package...

That said, I bought a 2502 and very soon after that upgraded my TV, and am now waiting on delivery of my second new TT in less than a year. My point? If you end up on the same trajectory that I found myself on, a TV upgrade might warrant serious consideration. It just might save you a lot of money in the long term.

Best of luck!
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:55 AM   #3

I was going to post that I didn't think anyone made a TT under 3000 lb but I came across this page. Camplite Ultra Lightweight All Aluminum Travel Trailer Floorplans | Livin' Lite RV
But you are going to have to compromise. A full size bathroom and queen bed? That's a tall order for your TV.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:18 AM   #4

Thanks Karrun and Land:
I have been looking and have found several ones in this category but hoping to connect with someone who actually has one as well and can give me advice on one to choose and also their travelling experiences so all information is welcome.
Eric
RVpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
Gold Miner At Heart

You could always go with a fiber glass camper like a Scamp or Casita but you will have to compromise on space and these FG campers are costly even with older ones but they do hold their value. My last unit was a Scamp fifth wheel that I purchased two years ago. It was a 2002 and I bought it for $7500 and sold it this past April for $11900.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #6

Most minivan's are rated for towing things like jet skis and a popup. The full size trailer is a giant parachute of drag on the your tow vehicle. Most minivans even with a towing package have a do not exceed frontal surface area.

Unfortunately, you are probably not able to tow a full size trailer with your set up. Even if you can pull it, you risk damaging your Tow vehicle
Old 08-12-2015, 09:22 AM   #7
Site Team

At one time I was pulling a pop-up trailer with a minivan and thought that was pushing it. I don't think I'd try a full size TT. I'd upgrade your TV first.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:13 AM   #8

We just up-sized from a great 17' Casita. It was 2750lb and towed like a dream. Ours was fully equipped with 6cf refer, microwave, AC, heat 3 burner stove, and ourside shower. They might fit your needs...Matt
steveanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #9
Site Team

Most minivans have a frontal area limit of 40 sq ft., which any full height TT will exceed, except for something like the Casita or Scamp.
Sounds like your Montana didn't have the factory tow package, which is much more than just adding an aftermarket hitch receiver. ONLY one with the factory tow package gets the 3500lbs. towing capacity.
If it was my family, I would never tow a conventional TT with a minivan, unless it was the only minivan truly capable of towing a smaller TT.
The Astro/Safari minivan, which had a ladder frame construction, rear wheel drive and the 4.3 Vortec v-6 engine. It was rated to tow 5000lbs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:10 PM   #10

Need some advice and information?

I have to disagree with most of the people here. I towed my 6501 vibe. 2850 empty about 3400 ready to camp with a Kia Sedona . It did a good job and I never had an issue with sway or stoping. If you come up north, particularly Quebec which we just came back from 3 weeks of camping you will find many minivans towing TT's. And I did not see a single one at the side of the road or crashing off the road as some people seem to imply. As far as the astro van I know two people that had them as tv's and they both had major sway issues.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote