Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #1

New 1st time owner (with a purchase question)

Hello All,

(apologies for the length of this first post...I do tend to be wordy)

I signed a purchase agreement for a Grey Wolf 20RDSE (rear dinette, 'special edition') on Thursday - doing PDI & picking it up in a couple of weeks after weather warms up, I find a storage space, etc.)

Since this is my first 'owned' RV (rented a Class C for a couple of weeks in Alaska a few years back), I had some specific things I was looking for - one of them being easy bathroom access while on the road...LOL...and while I really liked the 23MK, the slide room on that gets in the way of getting to the bath (plus it's a rear entry door.) The floorplan of the 20, with the U-shaped dinette & windows on 3 sides 'spoke' to me...so here I am!

I have a question, for those who have an opinion...
- While I got a good deal, and the trailer is a 'new' 2018, it turns out that it was an earlier build (Aug 2017), and two appliances are different than what's being put into them now (Dec 2017 forward):

-The fridge (which looks to be a Norcold N611, vs a Dometic 'Next Gen')
I plan on putting an ARP control on it, regardless of brand, btw.

- The range (which is a Suburban, vs. a Furrion (and I can find no info on it, other than it has switchable LEDs around the on/off knobs, and perhaps allowance for an optional broiler pan and pizza stone, which I don't really care about too much).

At first, I really wanted to kill my current deal, and go after a newer build, thinking the two appliances were better quality - after reviewing, I'm not so sure.

While the Dometic fridge and Furrion range look to be more 'feature-laden' (more adjustability on the fridge, more rack positions & 'night light' capability on the range), it looks like other people have had problems with this particular Dometic fridge (at least the Norcold is a 'known quantity'), and Furrion looks to be (very) new in the range space, while, again, Suburban seems to be a solid brand in ranges & water heaters (almost ubiquitous in the latter, it seems).

Other than a red accent stripe on the 'newer' model - everything else with the trailers (parts / options that can be seen, anyway) looks to be identical. Oh, and the newer ones look to have the flip-down tailgate, while the older ones don't (when I examined the one I'm currently purchasing, it looks like an extension has been welded to the back of the frame, and I have a feeling the newer ones don't have that extension (not sure, just a feeling).

Mine does have a spare tire, at least, so I'm set for the first of the China bomb explosions...lol. (I already have been researching replacements)

While I haven't taken delivery / performed 'formal' PDI, what I've seen so far on this older trailer seems to be fairly solid (drove down and inspected in & outside, last week.)

If you were buying, which would you lean toward - what I have now (older, w/ established appliances), or the newer, with the 'shiny' appliances? They haven't taken any $ from me yet, so although the purchase agreement says 'no cooling off' period, I don't think they would enforce it (just a feeling.)

To me, the interior *looks* way better w/ the newer ones, but I'll sacrifice 'shiny' for greater reliability on the older versions.

Appreciate any opinions / insights, especially as I've heard it can be a pain to obtain authorized service - *in* or *out* of warranty.
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:12 AM   #2

If you read your brochure, at the bottom of the last page you will read the following:
All information contained in this brochure is believed to be accurate at the time of publication. However, during the model year, it may be necessary to make revisions and Forest River, Inc., reserves the right to make all such changes without notice, including prices, colors, materials, equipment and specifications as well as the addition of new models and the discontinuance of models shown in this brochure.
If they run out of Norcold's, they'll put in a Dometic and vice-versa. They're not going to hold up the line waiting for a fridge. Personally, both of my units have had Dometic fridges and I haven't had any issues other than adding fans to the rear to improve cooling. There have been Norcold issues reported here. I've also had Suburban ranges and ovens and have had no problems.

In my experience reading this forum and visiting RV shows, the Dometic fridge far outweighs Norcold and the Suburban range/oven far outweighs Furrion, in terms of number installed.

Are you equally as concerned with the make/model of the furnace, AC, toilet, microwave, entertainment system, bathroom fan, tongue jack, etc., etc.??

This would not be a deal breaker to me; I think most of these components have similar problems/failure rates.

You'll have to decide for yourself if it's a deal breaker for you.

With respect to model year, the model year usually starts around March. So if yours was built in August, it's almost mid-year. My 2016 was built April 7, 2015.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #3

If it's the floor plan you like with the rear dining area, take a look at the Prime Time Tracer Air 206. The 2 side windows in the rear are much bigger, plus I believe there is bit more storage area added to the Tracer. We love our TT as it's a perfect starter couple's trailer.

Safe and happy travels.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:29 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Appliance wise, I think you got the better end of the deal. Slight variations happen throughout production, some better, some are not, it just depends on the individual.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #5

(First off, I appreciate the level of detail in your post, Rockfordroo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
If you read your brochure, at the bottom of the last page you will read the following:
Legalese snipped, although I was familiar with it; no harm done.

Quote:
If they run out of Norcold's, they'll put in a Dometic and vice-versa. They're not going to hold up the line waiting for a fridge. Personally, both of my units have had Dometic fridges and I haven't had any issues other than adding fans to the rear to improve cooling. There have been Norcold issues reported here. I've also had Suburban ranges and ovens and have had no problems.
Yeah, I figured they'd swap manufacturers as supply dictated, but this looks to be a real 'switchover', as I haven't seen any post-Nov 2017 build with the Norcold or the Suburban.

Quote:
In my experience reading this forum and visiting RV shows, the Dometic fridge far outweighs Norcold and the Suburban range/oven far outweighs Furrion, in terms of number installed.
I felt the same - having seen the Dometics in person, and compared them online w/ the Norcold (which was in my AK rental), I preferred them. And I agree on the Suburban - can't find much 'bad' on them, and Furrion looks to be very new in the appliance space.

Quote:
Are you equally as concerned with the make/model of the furnace, AC, toilet, microwave, entertainment system, bathroom fan, tongue jack, etc., etc.??
I actually was, since you asked Except for these two components, and the T-stat, which I got the digital Dometic, and the even older ones got the analog Suburban, the older / newer versions of these look to be equipped identically, trim for trim (except the tailgate, which I already referenced).

Quote:
This would not be a deal breaker to me; I think most of these components have similar problems/failure rates.
This is really what I was looking for...some reassurance / confirmation. I'd read a posting somewhere on the net from someone dissing Dometic and saying FR would be in a lot better shape if they dropped them as a vendor - although I believe (?) the posting in question was talking about A/C units - and Dometic pretty much owns that category, so I dunno what the person badmouthing Dometic on that expects, TBH.

Quote:
With respect to model year, the model year usually starts around March. So if yours was built in August, it's almost mid-year. My 2016 was built April 7, 2015.
This is good to know, as I figured mine was probably one of the first built (although I know they were building these in 2017 as well, so they're not 'brand spankin' new')

Re: ChiefT's suggestion on the Tracer Air - thanks for the link! Looks like it could be pretty much a 'sister' to the 20RDSE, except yours is a glasser, and mine is a stick & tin (along with a few other minor things). Wasn't surprised to see they're also under the FR umbrella.

The only thing I didn't like, reviewing their site, is that almost all of their floorplans were listed as 'Dealer Stock Only', and to me, at least, that suggests 'discontinued' - which worries me a little bit, given the ratio. Makes me wonder if FR is planning to drop the line (? - hope not, for your sakes!)

Anyway, thanks to all who've replied so quickly, and will watch to see how many others weigh in.
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:38 PM   #6
Site Team

Don't worry about a discontinued model. I have a TracerAir 255 that was only around for a a few seasons. We love it and it's perfect for the 2 of us.

Ours was probably discontinued because it is a true couple's trailer since it only sleeps 2.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:43 PM   #7
Site Team

It’s easy to rethink your choice - I did. Remember the reason you selected it. I was glad I stayed with my original choice. There will always be new shiny bells & whistles. Go back & spend more time in the unit and see if you feel connected to it again.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote