Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2010, 02:03 AM   #1

New 2010 Georgetown Owner

Hi all,
My name is Lloyd Paulson and my handle is starburst2. I hail from Langley BC Canada and have been motor homing for 13 years. I had a Rexhall Diesel pusher which I traded in on our new Greorgetown. I had it for 5 days when a drunk went through a stop sign at 35 mph +/- and T-boned me causing $30,000 damage to our new rig with only 270 miles on it. It is in the repair shop and we don't expect to get it back for at least 2 more months so that is a real bummer since we can't get any new experience on the use of it. I have been reading the posts in the Georgetown forum and it looks like I have a lot of learning to do about this new rig.
Cheers,
Starburst2
starburst2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:56 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Wow that really stinks. So sorry to hear of your misfortune.Hopefully no one was hurt. Was it sent back to the factory or is the dealer making the repairs? Welcome to the forums and if there's any questions you have please ask.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:28 AM   #3

So sorry for your misfortune. Hope you get your coach back sooner than anticipated. A diesel for a gas burner.?! Not too many people do that, but I think you will not be disappointed. No more stinky hands from fueling! No more standing in black gooey puddles around the fuel island! No more $250 oil changes! If you got the Ford chassis(I hope so), a dealer in practically every town in America to serve your mechanical issues if required! I'll get off the soap box now, really hope you're up and running soon!!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:00 AM   #4

Tell the other insurance company to keep it and make them buy you a new one.
At $30k in damage and T-boned the frame has to be bent and they are not going to get it straight again. If need be get a lawyer.... don't take it back you will never be happy with it.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum. Very sorry to hear about your misfortune but hopefully everything will be sorted out to your satisfaction. I agree with jaxfl. $30k in damages is a lot and I too don't think you will be happy with the repaired coach.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxfl View Post
Tell the other insurance company to keep it and make them buy you a new one.
At $30k in damage and T-boned the frame has to be bent and they are not going to get it straight again. If need be get a lawyer.... don't take it back you will never be happy with it.
I couldn't agree with you more. Even if it was going back to the factory and started all over to repair. Unless they replaced the frame I can't imagine it would ever be right. So they may as well just build a new coach and let his insurance company pay for it and sell off the other for parts.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #7

I agree with the others. My uncle had his brand new motorhome rear ended many years ago and he said things just were never right. Repairing damage to cars is fairly straight forward these days but an RV is a much different animal. I would seek a lawyer and demand a new unit. Or at the very least that it be taken back to FR for the repairs not a RV dealer or shop. So sorry to hear and I feel for ya. My brand new 1 month old Jeep was hit by a stoned teenager and put in the shop for a month when I first bought it.

On another note, why did you trade in a Rexhall diesel for the gas rig? I have always really liked Rexhall's rigs. They have always had some of the most innovative and industry leading floorplans available. Their construction always seemed a bit above and owner satisfaction was always higher than many of the others. We originally had our heart set on a gas 3550bsl Aerbus. One month after we ordered our new Georgetown we found a Roseair diesel 40' with quad slides and a great floorplan we liked on a dealer lot used for a great price. Would have bought it if we hadn't just ordered our GT.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #8

Bummer. Now that I know why you wanted to know how to post a new thread I understand. Talking about it may help pass the time till it comes home. If I remember correctly B.C. has government run insurance. Would they consider a full replacement or have they already said no. Old Guys