Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2017, 05:48 PM   #1
Newbie Trailer Camper!

New 2014 Evo T2850 Owners

Hi all from northern Utah! We are brand new to trailer camping. Purchased our first one, the 2014 Forest River Evo T2850. Seems like a pretty top of the line trailer, very luxurious inside with almost all the options. Just missing the electric jacks and hitch. Got it from a trailer rental joint for $15k with the tanks, new batteries, and equalizer hitch. Looks like it blue books for $21k so we are happy with the deal.

It'll be myself, wife, and 3 kids 6 and under using it. The bunks were a must. Plan to just do 3 to 4 day weekend trips through the spring, summer, and fall. No major trips planned since we are new to all this. Will keep it all within 200 miles or so from us for now. I'll be pulling it with my 05 GMC Sierra 1500, rated for 7400lb gross towing.

Been researching a lot on how to care for trailers and what we need to get it outfitted. Is there a big list anywhere for most common items needed and how to care for it? I do all my own maintenance and work if possible.
onecrazyfoo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Forgot to say that we plan to do most trips off grid and not on campgrounds. Will the water tank be big enough? Will the batteries be good enough for 3 to 4 days max? Or will I need a solar panel or generator? I don't want to get a generator cause of the noise, but it sounds like it's required for the AC and microwave? What wattage generator would be needed?
Old 02-24-2017, 06:53 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum,
Congratulations on your Evo T2850. We're glad to have you aboard. I am just getting started myself. The questions you have are some the others that are knowledgeable and experienced in can help with the questions. Anyway, have fun building memory's with family and friends. But most of all stay safe and Happy RVing from Farmer NC
Old 02-24-2017, 09:16 PM   #4

Welcome from SW Ohio , enjoy your TT !
Old 02-24-2017, 10:01 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecrazyfoo4u View Post
Forgot to say that we plan to do most trips off grid and not on campgrounds. Will the water tank be big enough? Will the batteries be good enough for 3 to 4 days max? Or will I need a solar panel or generator? I don't want to get a generator cause of the noise, but it sounds like it's required for the AC and microwave? What wattage generator would be needed?
Do you have a dual battery setup and what kind are they?
If you use the furnace all night, a single battery will be dead.
A pair of 6v golf cart batteries would be the best for dry camping or boondocking.

Solar is fine but won't run the microwave or a/c or outlets.

An INVERTER generator will be quiet compared to open frame contractor-style generators.
But if you won't be using the generator in a campground, then just go with a cheap 3500w open frame generator. The most popular one is the Champion 3500/4000w, which sells for around $300.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:15 PM   #6
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Yeah they are dual batteries, 12v each I think. I'll have to double check what kind they are. That stinks that you need a generator or plug-in to run the AC and Microwave. But at least the furnace runs on battery! So none of the plug-in outlets will run on battery either? Does the TV run on battery power?
Old 02-24-2017, 11:27 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecrazyfoo4u View Post
Yeah they are dual batteries, 12v each I think. I'll have to double check what kind they are. That stinks that you need a generator or plug-in to run the AC and Microwave. But at least the furnace runs on battery! So none of the plug-in outlets will run on battery either? Does the TV run on battery power?
Sorry but clearly your dealer gave you a poor PDI.
They should've explained how the 12v DC and 110V AC systems work in RVs. That's a basic thing that a PDI should cover.

Microwave, a/c and outlets require shore power or a generator.
As far as the tv goes, only if it's a 12v tv. Otherwise, it'll also require shore power or generator.

Many of us install an inverter to run the tv/dvd and recharge electronic devices, from the batteries.

By the way, generally on RV forums, a/c is air conditioning and tv is television.
AC is Alternating Current and TV is Tow Vehicle.
Just one of the many quirks of RV forums.[emoji6]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:15 PM   #8
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Great thanks for the info. I've obviously got much to learn about this trailer!

Tags