Old 12-03-2010, 02:28 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
New 24 year old camper w/ family

I am new to foreset river forums. I would just like to say hello. I have not done much camping but have enjoyed it when I did go. I like more of camping around action like sporting events. The wife has been camping for pretty much her whole life as the family as a permanent spot at a campground that has a big rec area with get togethers.

I do plan on buying a 2011 forest river cherokee 28BHKS, I'm a little worried cause unsure which dealership to go with. Money is tight so I went with a larger dealer 7 hours a way to get loan so there was more possible banks to get a loan. The sad part is I have a dealer right in my town 5 minutes from my house but the loan process is pretty much complete with the one further away. I heard things about warranty and it kinda of worries me. Any thoughts?

As we go on I will fill up the forums with new topics and things I would like to do and see and so on.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

to the forum !!!

Starting out with a camper at a young age is a good thing. I was still sleeping under canvas when I was 24.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will have lots of questions. I do have to ask though, why new? There are lots of used RV's on the market at attractive prices. I can guarantee you that you will not keep this one until the end of the loan, so why take such a hugh hit on depreciation.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #4

Welcome. Feel free to bring all your questions and someone here will have most of your answers. Asking is the only way to find answers. You should enjoy your unit as you have some great places to camp and visit in S.D.. We have been there twice and can't wait to come back. Some really friendly and helpful residents there. Happy camping. Old Guys
Old 12-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will have lots of questions. I do have to ask though, why new? There are lots of used RV's on the market at attractive prices. I can guarantee you that you will not keep this one until the end of the loan, so why take such a hugh hit on depreciation.
Because brand new with bunks my loan is 13,000. I tried to go used but from a couple sales people I found that anything over 5 years old finding loans are hard. I have a fairly full credit and getting a loan was tuff. So I went with something that was easier to get. Plus we really like it besides the storage is horrible. It's the forest river cherokee 28BHKS
Old 12-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #6

Thanks for the welcomes. I found the local dealership will do warranty work but we would not be first in line as their customers are first. Which Im fine with and can understand.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubieman View Post
Because brand new with bunks my loan is 13,000. I tried to go used but from a couple sales people I found that anything over 5 years old finding loans are hard. I have a fairly full credit and getting a loan was tuff. So I went with something that was easier to get. Plus we really like it besides the storage is horrible. It's the forest river cherokee 28BHKS
Have you thought of instead of going father into debt to simply save for a year and pay cash for a used unit? My first trailer was 10 years old and we bought it for two thousand dollars, put some work into it and towed it all over creation for several years. IMHO it was the best floor plan we ever owned. Traded it for a new trailer in 1987 and got almost what we paid for it.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #8

My financial stand point is fine. I can easily afford this. I just would have to start saving money now to enjoy some extra things next summer.

My mortgage is very cheap and one vehicle which cost more then a camper per month is almost paid off.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #9

Dealerships generally get their loans approved from far away banks, anyway. The only advantage I can see for the bank loaning the money is that they don't have to go far to repo the trailer, if they needed to!! Your'e only gonna get a payment book for monthly payments for the specified time of the loan, and you won't hear from the bank again after that, until it is paid off. I live in Florida, and my financing is with Bank of the West, as an example. I think they are in phoenix, Arizona. Deal with your local dealer, as you probably will need parts and warranty service at some time, or at least shop for whoever has the best price and interest rate, for the same camper. Good luck, Randy

Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote