Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2016, 12:44 PM   #21

I am sure that there are things done in the wrong order but everything is safe and secure so any points are welcome to improve the sequence.
Navymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #22
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navymike View Post
I am sure that there are things done in the wrong order but everything is safe and secure so any points are welcome to improve the sequence.
I wouldn't say anything is done in the wrong order - some things can't be done until others are done, but mostly it's whatever is easiest for you.
My personal preference is to unhook the safety chains last. It is possible for the coupler to release the ball and the TT decide it wants to move to a different location. The weight of the truck will stop a rolling camper better than I can by hand.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:16 PM   #23

What number would you make safety chains and kill switch?
Old 05-30-2016, 01:27 PM   #24
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
What number would you make safety chains and kill switch?
After I level side to side, I place a block under the tongue jack, raise it up to take tension off the torsion bars, then remove the bars. I usually lay them across the battery box. Then I lower the tongue jack and release the latch. Raise the tongue until clear of the ball. Then I disconnect the break away cable, umbilical, and the safety chains. Pull the truck forward, then lower the tongue until front to rear level.
I'll also mention that my level isn't exactly "level". Side to side leans just a touch toward street side - this allows any water to drain away from the gasket around the slide, reducing the chance it might leak into the interior and also drains away from the awning, and just a bit nose high, so all condensation or rain runs off the back of the camper. So all the water runs to the kitchen corner away from the door/awning.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #25

I'll also mention that my level isn't exactly "level". Side to side leans just a touch toward street side - this allows any water to drain away from the gasket around the slide, reducing the chance it might leak into the interior and also drains away from the awning, and just a bit nose high, so all condensation or rain runs off the back of the camper. So all the water runs to the kitchen corner away from the door/awning.[/QUOTE]

I like the concept of not exactly level. The slope a bit to slide side and a bit to the back makes a lot of sense. I knew I had the trailer level earlier because water was coming off front on both sides evenly.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:43 PM   #26
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
I like the concept of not exactly level. The slope a bit to slide side and a bit to the back makes a lot of sense. I knew I had the trailer level earlier because water was coming off front on both sides evenly.
You don't want it coming off the front, for sure. That means you are going to be sleeping with your feet higher than your head!
Old 05-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
You don't want it coming off the front, for sure. That means you are going to be sleeping with your feet higher than your head!
I leveled it today and it is coming off the front right. Not exactly ideal but considering the driveway slopes from back to front. I have to find a better blocking system for the front. It will spend a lot of time in the driveway so I need to find a good method. I am also going to have to raise up my front stabilizers. I will post a pic later today.