Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #1

New 3150BHD

Just purchased our first trailer, a Tracer 3150. Excited about this new adventure. Looked at used, but local conditions (huge oil and gas exploration) has pushed up the price and pushed down the quality of used bunkhouses because so many of the oilfield workers buy them for housing. So we looked and decided to go new.

What are the "must haves" for accessories starting out? Obviously a sewer hose and a water supply hose. I would also guess that an electric cable is helpful, along with the obvious for the kitchen... pots, pans, dishes, etc. But beyond that, what will I not realize I need until I get to our first campsite? And are there brands or types of the above that you recommend more than others? I take delivery next week and want to get anything I need at that point.

Thanks!!

Tim
Bauer Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
CampingQueen

I think you listed the essentials... here's what we have to keep in the camper:

-wheel chocks & something to level the camper side-to-side. We use those lego type blocks that come 10 in a little carry case that you can stack to whatever height you need. I carry two sets of those and that has always been enough to level and also to use under the tongue jack if needed, and under each corner stab jack
-metal bar (if needed to put the weight distribution hitch on)
-side extender mirrors for the expedition
-Power cable (may come with your unit)
-Adapter to connect my 30amp hose to 20 amp service, just in case
-WATER/POTABLE drinking hose - at least 25', usually WHITE in color - use for nothing but hooking up to city water and/or filling the water tank
-Sewer hose - I'd say at least 20' I recommend the Camco "Revolution" kit -well worth the slightly higher $
-length of regular hosepipe for black tank flush, etc
-toilet/black tank chemicals/prep of your choice
-basic tool kit - electrical tape, screwdriver, hammer, etc. I got a basic 'all purpose' kit and added electrical tape & fuses and a light-weight, inexpensive power cordless drill/driver
-grill (we use our RvQue that came with the camper
-lawn chairs (we like the folding ones with the cloth seats - about $15 at walmart)
-broom & dustpan
-basic roadside emergency kit (air compressor, jumper cables, etc)
-battery charger
-standard grounded drop cord
-lighter/matches
-a couple of flashlights

Now the 'other' stuff that we take that you may or may not choose to keep in the camper
-sheets/blankets/pillows/towels (I have 'camper' ones that I keep clean and on the beds at all times so I don't have to scramble to find them when it's time to packup)
-basic set of pots/pans, dishes & utensiles- again we have a separate set for the camper that stay in there all the time
-clothes basket/hamper
-pantry items such as trash bags, saran wrap, etc
-cleaning supplies (again I keep items on hand just for the camper)
-entertainment for kids - board games, playing cards, puzzles, etc. These stay in the camper and make it a special treat when we are camping to play them
-grass mat for using under the awning to limit amount of stuff dragged in the camper
2011: 17 nights 2012: 26 nights 2013: 46 2014: 20 2015: 16
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The BIGGEST must have is a digital ac/dc multimeter.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
Site Team

to the forums and congrats on your new Tracer 3150! You might be receiving an starter kit from your dealer that might include some of the basic items and items can vary from dealer to dealer. The sewer hose in my kit was pretty thin so I upgraded it before I even camped.

Have fun shopping but I recommend taking it somewhat slowly until you really know what is needed. I try to keep it simple by limiting what all goes into the trailer with selecting items that can be used for more than one purpose. As time went on I found out I didn't need a lot of the stuff I thought was necessary. It all comes down to your style of camping.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #5

Some basic tools are a good idea-screw drivers, wrench, ect. We also l
Have a small vacuum for the carpet, but I use it for all the flooring. The floors get dirty quick.
Kathyrarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #6

Thanks. Keep ideas coming but I have some questions...

I have a digital multimeter I can throw in the trailer stuff. But if I've done that, what will I use it for? Is checking voltage a common need?

What sort of battery charger? Isn't there one on the unit for the batteries, and if so, what additional need is there?

Won't need a vacuum. When we went to see it and make a final decision, we found a sticker on the floor saying it had a built-in central vacuum. Asked the salesman and he said "No, that isn't on the touring edition. They put those in the high end fifth wheels." Then I looked up under the bed, and sure enough, there is a vacuum. When we've stayed in my in-laws trailer, we did notice the floor gets dirty fast, so we're glad this is there.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Camper
Thanks. Keep ideas coming but I have some questions...

I have a digital multimeter I can throw in the trailer stuff. But if I've done that, what will I use it for? Is checking voltage a common need?

What sort of battery charger? Isn't there one on the unit for the batteries, and if so, what additional need is there?

Won't need a vacuum. When we went to see it and make a final decision, we found a sticker on the floor saying it had a built-in central vacuum. Asked the salesman and he said "No, that isn't on the touring edition. They put those in the high end fifth wheels." Then I looked up under the bed, and sure enough, there is a vacuum. When we've stayed in my in-laws trailer, we did notice the floor gets dirty fast, so we're glad this is there.
You'd be surprised at how often you may need your multi meter.
Imo half of the questions on the forum are electrical related.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #8

Hi congrats on your purchase, we have the same model. we love it. Sounds like Arlee453 covered a lot of What you'll need. Also consider

A pack of 12v automotive fuses
1 or 2 spare light bulbs
Fresh water filter (blue inline tyle)
Surge protector of some sort (we have ours hard wired in)
We always keep 1 or 2 cans of tuna/chicken, crackers, & small container of mayo/ranch dressing for a quick, flame less meal in a pinch/emergency. (Bottled water too)

Check your dump handles!!!! we lost ours on the way home from the dealer, FR sent us new ones, but it is a problem.
Most of all, have fun!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runtheroads View Post
Check your dump handles!!!! we lost ours on the way home from the dealer, FR sent us new ones, but it is a problem.
Most of all, have fun!
Ok... Funny you should mention that... Just a week ago I found one handle not there... Used the one that is still there for both tanks, so got the job done. Who should I contact at forest river? Someone direct or did you go through the dealer?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #10

We literally hit the "contact us" on the web site. Make sure you give them your purchase date, VIN, etc. they were very helpful.