Old 05-22-2013, 01:44 AM   #1

New Cadet plumbing leaks

I just dewinterized my new Surveyor Cadet flushing the antifreeze and filling the tanks per instruction. I left the trailer over night and noticed water seeping out of the protective membrane underneath the trailer. Water continues to seep hours after emptying the tanks. Is this a common problem with a new Surveyor? I will return this to the dealer but any comments or suggestions from experienced rv users would be helpful.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #2

Sorry, I can't help you with your problem but welcome to the forum. You'll get the kinks worked out and enjoy your new trailer.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

wasn't aware of this, but Surveyor hybrids are now called Cadets. i was wondering what a Cadet was. you're the first i've seen with a Surveyor hybrid that's called that.

you might want to post in the Surveyor sub-forum, in the Expandable/Hybrid section here at FRF.
it would help if you posted which model you have. i don't think the model lineup has changed with the new name.

do you know if your low point drains are closed?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #4

Yes the exact model is SC-189. It is a 21' travel trailer with a slide. It is not a hybrid. I am not aware of any low point drains other than the fresh water and gray/black drains. Those are all external and the leak is between the floor of the trailer and the protective corrogated plastic membrane.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

To answer your original question - not common but it could be something wast properly winterized and broke. Someone's going to have to pull the membrane down and take a look under the belly to see what's what.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Moderators' Assistant

i guess Surveyor is calling all their smaller lightweight trailers, Cadets.
i have no idea what makes them different from the Sport and Select lines.

all RV's have low point drains that drain out of the bottom of the RV.
you should have someplace where they drain. i don't have a covered bottom and i can see my low point drain outlets easily.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:25 AM   #7

Hello Kirk,
This is very interesting. I have a 2013 Surveyor SC189 and had the same issue. We were getting ready for a camping trip and decided to de-winterize the camper before we go to ensure no pipes busted during the winter. I put the water heater anode in and tightened it down and hooked up the city water. It wasn't until about 10min later that I saw water dripping from the front right outside end of the camper. After looking into it, I saw water in the outside storage compartment. I traced it back up and saw water in the storage underneath the bed...and went further and saw water near the wall side of the camper underneath the sink in the water heater area. Unfortunately, I couldn't pinpoint the leak and my arms couldn't reach to the wall side of the water heater to feel where the leak was coming from. Even though we had a leak, I was going to bypass the water heater and still go camping. ...at some point before we left camping and me playing with the water heater, I lost the anode rode...so I purchased a campco anode in hopes I would need it. At the campsite, I tried it again, I installed the anode and could see a small amount of water leaking from the outside anode plug..so I tightened it some more and saw a little more leaking from the inside..so I tightened even harder (much more than I really wanted to or thought it should be tightened). The water seemed to stop leaking from what I could tell, so in the morning I flipped the water heater switch and I haven't seen any more leaks ... Maybe the heat produced by the water heater had something to do with it...or I didn't tight the Anode enough and water was leaking through the snap ring... What ever the case, I hope it doesn't leak again! What ended up happening to your camper?