Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2014, 11:15 PM   #1

New Cherokee 274DBH

Been scouring this forum for a few weeks now and decided I might as well say hello.

We just upgraded from a 2003 Kodiak Skamper hybrid to a brand new 2015 Cherokee 274dbh. Picked it up on Thursday last week and left Friday morning for it's inaugural trip (Shenandoah Valley Va.).

Trip was GREAT and it was SO nice to not have to duct tape anything back on, or closed for a change.

Camper is a perfect fit for my wife and I and our 2 kids and 2 large dogs. We were able to move around without bumping in to one another or even having to say "excuse me".
cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

Welcome to the forum cdangel0. That's quite an upgrade. You'll really enjoy this forum for sure. Lots of great people and great information.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:43 PM   #3
Infractee

LOL love the thumbs down/up.
That is a monster upgrade! Looks like a nice rig, how does it tow?
Enjoy!
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
Engineer of Crazy Train

Nice. If we were to change our mind and not get a Hybrid again, this is our top FR product to pick.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #5

It tows like a dream up to 60 mph. Then it becomes very susceptible to sway from passing trucks. Nothing some anti-sway bars won't resolve.

We havent gotten it to the mountains yet but im going to guess that the truck will know its back there. .. for a change. My gas mileage didnt even change when we hooked up the hybrid.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #6

Love the new tt. We pick ours up tomorrow. Or second weekend trip will be till Luray, VA! Have fun!
Luckyme502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:20 PM   #7

Welcome! We have a 2014 Cherokee 274RB and love it! Hope you enjoy it as much as we love ours!!

2014 274RB Cherokee
2013 Ford F150

Snappsgirl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdangel0 View Post
It tows like a dream up to 60 mph. Then it becomes very susceptible to sway from passing trucks. Nothing some anti-sway bars won't resolve.

We havent gotten it to the mountains yet but im going to guess that the truck will know its back there. .. for a change. My gas mileage didnt even change when we hooked up the hybrid.
Picked my new 2015 274DBH up Friday. I tow with a 2000 F250 4X4 Crew Cab V10 with an 8' bed. Noticed a few differences in towing this one home even though it weighs 400 pounds more than my former TrailRunner 2700BHS. The biggest difference was less bucking due to wind resistance; at 70 passing big rigs its stable. Secondly, fuel mileage seems (according to my computer monitor device) to be a little better on flat ground. Finally, I'm down one link on the equalizer hitch where I used to go to the 5th chain link, I'm now on the 4th.
By the way, looks like you are towing with an Expedition. Can you give me the specs on yours? My wife has a 2007 Expedition EL Limited without the towing package. Towed the old TT, got about 5 MPG and couldn't keep the tach below 3000. The transmission wouldn't shift out to 5th or OD.
kc5mhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #9

Ours is a 2013 Limited with the HD Tow Package. Rated to 9200 lbs. Has the Tow/Haul option to aide in shift points. We averaged about 10.5 MPG on it's maiden voyage with this camper.

We were at about 12MPG with the 3500 lb hybrid - so not that great of a depreciation with a much larger TT. Of course the Chrokee is shaped more like a bullett compared to the brick we used to pull.

We didn't notice any depreciation in accelration off the line, and have no issue getting up to speed or passing if need be. While we haven't hit a mountain road with it yet, we barely notice it's behind us. I'm sure in the mountains it'll have to work a little harder but living in Delaware - I don't come across that many mountains

Old 09-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdangel0 View Post
Ours is a 2013 Limited with the HD Tow Package. Rated to 9200 lbs. Has the Tow/Haul option to aide in shift points. We averaged about 10.5 MPG on it's maiden voyage with this camper.

We were at about 12MPG with the 3500 lb hybrid - so not that great of a depreciation with a much larger TT. Of course the Chrokee is shaped more like a bullett compared to the brick we used to pull.

We didn't notice any depreciation in accelration off the line, and have no issue getting up to speed or passing if need be. While we haven't hit a mountain road with it yet, we barely notice it's behind us. I'm sure in the mountains it'll have to work a little harder but living in Delaware - I don't come across that many mountains
Thanks for the reply. The rated on the wife's Expy is 8000 pounds and my truck is 10000 pounds. No plans to pull with the Expy but was just curious. Pulling from Louisiana to Meridian and Macon Mississippi, I got anywhere from 5 to 8 with the old camper. Hopefully this new camper will improve my mileage. That 4.30 rear axle in my truck sure gives me a ton of low end torque but at 70 MPH I'm running almost 2500 RPM.
kc5mhb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee