Old 07-28-2016, 02:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Have you got the EcoBoost engine? your rear end is perfect for towing. Did you get the max tow package as well?
No we do not have eco boost. It's the 5.0 v8
Not sure about the max tow

Old 07-28-2016, 03:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRB View Post
No we do not have eco boost. It's the 5.0 v8
Not sure about the max tow
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Even with the Short bed, consider a 5th wheel with a Reese Revolution Hitch.

This is the 5th wheel we owned with our F150:

Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite Fifth Wheels / Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

ohhh I really like this 5th wheel! 8292BS model. But its right at the weight limit (going off what rv guy told me) i know i need to get my truck weighed and now get the # off the yellow sticker.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
Honestly, you must let go of the 10,800 number. What you must do is find the "Payload" number... That "Payload" number is how much weight your truck can carry...
Ya, that tow capacity number of 10,800 only works-out in real life if you are a single driver, like a skinny landscaper, etc. towing a flatbed trailer with a backhoe, etc. with nothing else in the truck...

IMO a TT the size of ours is about the most I would want to tow behind even the most capable 1/2 tons. Our roomy 2 slide TT is 6,500 empty w/empty tongue of 650. However, once the dealer adds the battery & full propane tanks & we add our gear to the mostly frontal storage areas, ready-to-camp we're at 8,000+ w/loaded tongue of 1,100+.

EDIT: Just saw you have the F150 w/5.0, not the Ecoboost... I would stick to TT's with empty weights under 6,000 & not load them past 7,000... This limits your choices to TT's with mostly 1 slide-out vs. 2...

Our family of 5 & large dog adds 700, so our payload is at 1800+ with a totally EMPTY PU bed... The more we camp, the more interests we develop, so I'm glad we chose a 3/4 ton to bring-along more stuff... We recently added a fiberglass cap to keep everything dry & we now bring-along inflatable kayaks, bikes, scooters, "free" firewood from home, a decent set of tools, etc. so our average payload is now around 2,400 lbs...

IMO most folks should be able to sell their popular 1/2 tons on CL, etc. and walk-way with enough money to buy a more capable used 3/4 ton if they go easy on options. In 2013 we found a 2 year-old 2011 Ram 2500 CC w/5.7 Hemi for only $14K, MUCH less than 1/2 ton "grocery-getters" from the same year...
Days camped in 2015-37; Days camped in 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRB View Post
ohhh I really like this 5th wheel! 8292BS model. But its right at the weight limit (going off what rv guy told me) i know i need to get my truck weighed and now get the # off the yellow sticker.
You might be right at your limits - we will know more when the truck is weighed (don't forget a full gas tank)

If you can possibly swing it weight-wise, get a 5th wheel - they pull SO much better than a travel trailer!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:27 PM   #25

The 8292BS is a 3-slide 5er weighing 9600 EMPTY with EMPTY pin weight of 1650 BEFORE propane, food, clothes, etc… Yikes, WAY TOO BIG for a F150 w/5.0… Heck, it’s too much for many tons….

The F150 w/5.0 engine is good for “1/2 ton towable” TTs plus (a select few) 5ers in the 6,000 empty range… Last summer we met a nice older/smaller couple towing a very small 5er with only 1 slide-out (dinette) & they said it was the max their F150 w/5.0 (non-crew cab) could safely handle. They had maxed-out their payload without a single item in the truck other than the 2 of them. They also noted that they travel lightly – with only essentials in the 5er. They chose the 5er because they felt it was easier to tow across the country, although it weighed as much as our more roomy 2-slide TT, about 6,500 empty…

In reality if you get a good weight distribution hitch, like the Equalizer 4, a TT will tow down the highway just as good as a 5er, or even better since you will have less side surface area to blow your lighter ton off the road or into passing semis… The big difference is that 5ers are easier to corner in traffic & back into tighter spaces because the length of the trailer is shorter after the pivot point. No big deal. In traffic you just wait for people to get out of your way – like semi drivers do… and pick appropriate campsites for larger TTs. I’ve parked our 34’ TT into some tight state park sites that said 25’ max online whereas many 5ers have issues in state parks due to their height - hitting low hanging branches, etc...

But again, for the F150 5.0, I wouldn’t look at TTs much over 6,000 lbs. empty unless you also plan to upgrade your TV shortly thereafter… IMO if you really have your heart set on bigger 5ers, then you should just sell your F150 & start-over. If you go with all used gear you can get a lot more for the money. In 2013 we bought a 2 year-old Ram 2500 for $14K & a 3 year-old 2 slide TT for $20K. That's less than $35K for both, or the cost of a new F150...
Days camped in 2015-37; Days camped in 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:21 PM   #26

Hello and welcome to the forum. Probably the wrong forum to say this but we just traded in our Bullet Premier 30REPR. It had 3 slides and dry weight was around 6400.The full load weight was 8000. It was a great trailer, we just wanted to upgrade to a different floor plan. It is well within your tow weight. Forest River makes several in the ultra light weight design. Take your time and remember what you really want and do not compromise.

"Go Navy"
logspec1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time, trailer, travel, travel trailer