Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 9
New/ First time Travel Trailer buyer

Hello Everyone! We made the big mistake of buying a new half ton pick up this past Oct...only to find out that we want a travel trailer now. Trading the new truck in for another model is out of the question. Too big of a $$ loss. (We checked into it already). I see a ton of lightweight models available for us to pull... however none with the features we really want. I LOVE the rear living w/ mid bunk models. I haven't been able to find one that comes in at under our weight. We are being told to find a unit around 9500lbs or lighter as our max tow is 10800. Trailer for 3 people, right now our daughter is young (10yrs old) so we are considering just buying a rear living one bedroom model and trying it out for a few years. She takes the sofa sleeper... Maybe upgrade at a later time when we can get a bigger truck. Does anyone know of a model that still has the rear living set up but with a middle bunk, or loft bunk, or even a nook type bunk that is light weight?
__________________

__________________
TTRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:09 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1
Might want to consider the Mini Lites

We just got a brand new Mini Lite 1905 and love it. We pull it with a midsize SUV (Audi Q5 TDI) with ease. It's bigger siblings should follow your rig just fine. The flip-down murphy bed is absolutely genius and makes the whole trailer feel much bigger. You might want to give it a close look too. Good luck!
__________________

__________________
billhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
nomad297's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRB View Post
Hello Everyone! We made the big mistake of buying a new half ton pick up this past Oct...only to find out that we want a travel trailer now. Trading the new truck in for another model is out of the question. Too big of a $$ loss. (We checked into it already). I see a ton of lightweight models available for us to pull... however none with the features we really want. I LOVE the rear living w/ mid bunk models. I haven't been able to find one that comes in at under our weight. We are being told to find a unit around 9500lbs or lighter as our max tow is 10800. Trailer for 3 people, right now our daughter is young (10yrs old) so we are considering just buying a rear living one bedroom model and trying it out for a few years. She takes the sofa sleeper... Maybe upgrade at a later time when we can get a bigger truck. Does anyone know of a model that still has the rear living set up but with a middle bunk, or loft bunk, or even a nook type bunk that is light weight?
First, welcome to the forum!

I think you're being a bit optimistic with the weight you think you can tow. Post the specs of your truck and the payload listed on your driver's side door pillar so members here can help you to not make a second mistake.

Bruce
__________________
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4.10:1 SRW
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:10 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post

I think you're being a bit optimistic with the weight you think you can tow. Post the specs of your truck and the payload listed on your driver's side door pillar so members here can help you to not make a second mistake.
x2
__________________
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2016: 38 nights camped
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:33 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: NE Arkansas
Posts: 221
x3. Have a half ton myself and tow 6500lbs. Maxed out the payload on the truck with a family of four. Couldn't imagine pulling anything heavier even though I theoretically have 4000lbs. to spare.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
__________________
2016 Salem Cruise Lite 261bhxl
Ram 1500 5.7l Hemi Crew Cab 4wd
gspot01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:27 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 9
Thanks, I will look into these!
__________________
TTRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:28 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
First, welcome to the forum!

I think you're being a bit optimistic with the weight you think you can tow. Post the specs of your truck and the payload listed on your driver's side door pillar so members here can help you to not make a second mistake.

Bruce

I will have to get this info from the hubby..it is his truck. Hope to have soon and post update.
__________________
TTRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:33 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HuntsVegas, AL
Posts: 6,182
Not so fast folks....it really depends!


First off, TTRB, what is the Make/Modle/Engine of your truck?


We owned a 2013 Ford F150 with the Ecoboost and trailer tow package and towed a Rockwood ultralight 5th wheel for over 3 years with zero problems. (and yes we were weighed and yes, we were underweight).
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:37 AM   #9
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,110
Do not pay attention to MAX towing capacity unless the thing you are towing adds no weight to the TV. The number that is important is Max load capacity found on the drivers door post. Subtract the weight of all the passengers, gear in truck and 100 lbs for hitch. That is the weight your trailer can add to the TV.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:38 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Not so fast folks....it really depends!


First off, TTRB, what is the Make/Modle/Engine of your truck?


We owned a 2013 Ford F150 with the Ecoboost and trailer tow package and towed a Rockwood ultralight 5th wheel for over 3 years with zero problems. (and yes we were weighed and yes, we were underweight).
It is a 2015 F150 5.0 4x4 short bed. 3.73 rear end ratio
Fords tow chart shows me at 10,800 max load.
My rep at the rv store said to find something under 9500lbs and we should be ok...but after reading more posts and other blogs, we might go with a lighter option and just get a rear living one bedroom. I did find some under 8k lbs that we like, just missing that extra bunk for the kiddo. Or we get a bunk and do away with the living area we like. My husband and kiddo like the bigger living area as when we are in it, we'd hang out there in the evenings vs her get her own little bunk room where she wont be in it much... I know we have to give up one or the other. Just trying to figure out which is the most practical.
__________________

__________________
TTRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
first time, trailer, travel, travel trailer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 PM.