Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2015, 11:28 AM   #1

New Forest River--electrical issues

I recently purchased a new 2013 Forest River Cherokee 27BH. Looking forward to traveling with my wife and 3 kids. I haven't used the trailer yet (bought it right before winter), but have already been having some problems with electrical/battery. Battery went completely dead and slide out wouldn't return to "in" position. I used a battery out of my Thunder Jet to power the slide back in. When I put the original battery back in the trailer, it worked again. Now I have the trailer parked in the shop and the battery isn't working. Nothing powered in the RV. When I plugged the trailer into "shore" power, the only units working are microwave and AC (which are the only units that don't work off of battery power). Is there a short in the system? Does the battery need to be functioning to use "shore" power?

I have a great handyman/carpenter/electrician that works for me and is looking at it now, but thought I would ask the questions.

thanks!
kevinstennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:10 AM   #2

There should be a resettable breaker on the hot wire coming off the battery. That will often trip when the battery is being removed. It is sometimes mounted on frame where wires go into trailer. It's not very big with a tiny reset button. If you search this topic, you will probably come across a pic of it. That is where I would start.

If your unit has a battery cutoff switch, I would shut off battery between uses.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:34 AM   #3
Site Team

All RV's have parasitic power drains that most newbies aren'taware of unless they frequent forums like this one.
you have to install a battery disconnect switch. Otherwise, a battery will be dead in week.

You may have tripped the resettable breaker/fuse, when replacing the battery.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:17 AM   #4

Thanks for the info Gents. I'll take a look. I didn't see a breaker on the hot wire, but I didn't look very closely. I think the CO detector was draining the battery. Nothing else was on except a few lights for a few minutes and extending the slide out a couple times. Once I figure this issue out, I will keep the trailer plugged into power at all times.
kevinstennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinstennes View Post
Thanks for the info Gents. I'll take a look. I didn't see a breaker on the hot wire, but I didn't look very closely. I think the CO detector was draining the battery. Nothing else was on except a few lights for a few minutes and extending the slide out a couple times. Once I figure this issue out, I will keep the trailer plugged into power at all times.
The entertainment centers draws as well continuously.
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #6

FYI you shouldn't use just a battery to use the slide. Either connect to shore power first or leave it connected to the TV with the engine running. A weak battery will put a higher load on the slide motor.
2011 Passport JUNK
2006 Itasca 29R SOLD
2005 Itasca Cambria SOLD
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #7
Site Team

If you use a battery shut off to disconnect the battery between uses, you need to have a reminder to turn it back on prior to towing it, The breakaway system will not work with the battery turned off.

A great way to insure that you remember is to attach reminder flag to the hitch or ignition. see attachment.
Attached Images

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #8

It's been a while since I had a TT but I used to remove both my batteries when I stored the unit and place a battery tender on them in the garage at home. Had to store at a yard about 10 miles from the house. That way the batteries were always ready to go. I definitely recommend a backup battery if you don't already have one. My 2011 Rockwood had space on the front A-frame for two batteries.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, forest river