Old 06-22-2014, 10:45 PM   #11

Tongue weight makes a huge difference. When I was towing a small trailer "24 ft StarCraft" with a 3/4 ton Dodge. I had two bikes on the back of the trailer, I was all over the road, white knuckle, wetting myself. All of sudden the light bulb went on, next rest stop, the bikes went in the truck bed. I had unloaded the hitch and caused a huge amount of sway. CHECK YOUR TONGUE WEIGHT!

2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Workin on my Curmudgeon badge
rapiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:21 PM   #12

20/20 Hindsight

I made the mistake of trusting Camping World. They are the ones that told me I could tow it. They are the ones that told me it would be ok. They are the ones that sold me all the goodies to tow it with. They are the ones that told me all I need is air shocks on the back of my SUV to stop it from dipping under the weight of the TT. (They're also the ones that didn't plug my trailer break in after getting me all set up to "go".)

I will definitely post here before doing anything else. Right now, I have to sell this SUV. I don't want to sell my trailer. I can't live full time in anything smaller with my dogs things.

I need to research tongue weight and all that. When I weighed it, I just took the truck off of the trailer and weighed the whole thing. So I need to find another scale and weigh the whole thing and just the tongue just so I know what I'm dealing with.

I wish there was some kind of guide as to what things weigh . . . like clothes, dishes, etc. There's no way in the WORLD I have that much stuff in here. My dog crates are the heaviest thing in the TT.

I am so right brained I doubt I will ever understand all of this stuff. Thanks ya'll, for taking the time to try to educate me and give me advice!!

Old 06-23-2014, 03:18 AM   #13
Moderators' Assistant

you still haven't mentioned which model of trailer you have.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:45 AM   #14

I have towed a 32 ft TT Rockwood 2703 with a F150 with a 5.4 l V 8 and 9200 tow capacity, no real problems. Upgraded truck for a 4 year newer model and went with a Ecoboost and this truck towed a lot better, added 2000 lb tow weight but the engine is what made it for for me. You mentioned you had 5th wheel in the past, we upgraded to a 8289 WS and also no issues towing all over the hilly terrain of Northern Ontario. I would recommend the F15o Ecoboost route, when dry you will save money on gas as well.
Welcome to the forum BTW and best of luck finding the right solution. At the very least a F150 with basic towing will handle your weight, your TT is not that heavy.

B
Old 06-29-2014, 06:47 PM   #15

My trailer

BikeDan -

I have a 2011 Rockwood 2604.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:49 PM   #16
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterBugBev View Post
BikeDan -

I have a 2011 Rockwood 2604.
that's why i asked what model. it is not a 26' trailer, it's 29' 8" long, almost 4 feet longer than what you thought it was. way too much length for that Sequoia, unless you sprang for a Hensley or Propride WDH.
NEVER assume the model number is anywhere close to it's actual length.

as long as the the new truck you bought, has the factory HD tow package, you'll be fine towing this trailer with it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:13 PM   #17

Well, I feel a little safer. Waiting to get the trailer hitch and the trailer brakes installed so I can get the heck out of this hot area and head north to cooler temperatures!! Hopefully will be out of here by the 9th!! I may not be the fastest thing climbing the hills, but it sure beats the heck out of what I had!!

Thanks everybody!1

Tags
forest river