Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #1

New from Arkansas

I have been on the forums for a few weeks but don't think I have introduced myself. I came here to learn what I could about Rockwoods and Forest River while waiting to hear from our insurance company.

On April 25th when the tornados came through Arkansas they took out several RV's that were parked on the Little Rock Air Force Base storage lot. My husband and I had ours parked there. It took one month for the insurance to get around to seeing it and totalling it. So much destruction and a TT is not a life necessity so we were pretty much last in line.

A week after the storm we went out "looking" and found and put a deposit down, contingent upon old camper being totaled, on a 2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Light 8319SS. From the moment we walked in this camper we new it was THE ONE. We remembered seeing it at an RV show last year and my husband fell in love with the full size bedroom then.

We never thought that something as miserable as your property being destroyed by a tornado could turn out so good. Our original camper was an '08 Freedom Lite and we had purchased GAP insurance on it so it was totally paid off. We got to start fresh with this TT with a nice downpayment and we already had all the extras that would be needed and the tow hitch so we didn't need to finance a ton of accessories.

This brand new VERY UPGRADED TT only cost us a couple thousand more than what we had financed before. We are in LUV with our new Rockwood!!

My husband is Retired Air Force and now works at our local Veterans Administration Offices. I am a secretary in a family owned machinery sales company. We are from KY originally but was stationed here 16 yrs ago and watched our son and daughter grow their teen years here so it has become home. Both children have served in the Air Force. Our son(25) is still currently active duty but is getting out in August and possibly moving back. Our daughter(23) has been out for a year and is currently working and using her GI Bill to go to school full time.

We have 2 Labs and 3 ferrets that travel with us and 3 shelties that very occassionally go along. Plus 2 cats that stay home and guard the homestead . You can see why we needed so much extra room!

We love camping at lakes and rivers. Have always like using electric sites but I see us using electric/water a lot more now that we can actually USE our bathroom! We both love fishing and have a pontoon on the local lake. I also love to read and to sew. I have enough room in the new TT to fix up a sewing machine for travel and take that great hobby along with me . I LOVE to cook outdoors and enjoy nature. So does husband but he admittedly cannot stand the midafternoon extreme heat, which is why we have a nicely cooled TT to enjoy during that time

Glad to meet you ALL

And I am one of those ladies that thinks nothing is grander than beers around the campfire after having a juicy steak that was cooked over that fire

JulieT
ItsMeJulieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #2

Welcome... sorry such a bad event created the need, but it sounds like it turned out OK. Enjoy!
~ John
2012 Surveyor SV-305
cupprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #3

sorry to hear abt the damage. i believe a day or two later, we had a line come thru here but they went around us. we are in the NE corner of La.
we enjoy going to mountianview at least once/yr.
wife enjoys cooking also. she is more into the north la cooking....different from south la.
our next trip will be to tn later this month (i hope).
we like using hookups. not into ruffing it.
u r at the right place. plenty of knowledgeable people with good advice.
hope u enjoy ur new trailer.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum!
Sorry to hear about what you had to go through and it's great things are turning out so well for you.
I'ld like to to invite you to the N.E. Oklahoma FROG Rally July 20th-24th. at Natural Falls State Park near West Siloam Springs, OK. That would be a good trip to help break in that new camper and also a great chance to show it off.
Here's a link to the rally thread with all the info you'll need to join in;
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ogs-13128.html
Hope that you guys can make it.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #5

I also love to read and to sew. I have enough room in the new TT to fix up a sewing machine for travel and take that great hobby along with me .JulieT[/QUOTE]

Wow! My wife also likes to combine sewing and camping and is actively looking for the best way to combine those hobbies in our new trailer.

You live in a beautiful part of the country. We love heading west from N.Mississippi to camp in central and northest Arkansas.

Don't drive your husband too crazy stopping at fabric stores as you travel.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:21 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad that everything sounds like it is working out for the better.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #7

Hi JulieT
Ron and I woulld like to 2nd the invite to our North Eastern Oklahoma Frog Meeting. We are looking forward to meeting everyone.
Ron and Carolyn
GeorgieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote