Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2009, 05:56 PM   #1

New from Ok. - Tulsa area

Hi all! So glad I found this forum. We are not new R.V.ers as we have been camping for many years. We have a Georgetown right now but with the gas situation we have decided to sell it and go for a TT. We have looked at a lot and really fell in love with the Surveyor 264. We have a dealer fairly close but he thinks he should get the price of a bigger one and just "can't come down any further". We have been looking all over for another dealer but there are none any where within several hundred miles. Does anyone know why some Forest River dealers carry the Surveyor but not the Rockwood, or vise versa? How about a recommendation of a dealer with in the center 1/3 of the U.S. (or even farther off) that carries the Surveyor. I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,
Grani
Forest River Grani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. I am sure lots of folks will be able to help. We bought our camper sight unseen. We first found this dealer on E-bay but ended up calling them and doing the deal... It was easy and a good deal. We did a lot of research and looked at a lot of TT's on local lots. Looked on the internet for the best floor plan. We were very happy and they even delivered...up to 500 miles free... (well we all know we pay for that) but they were dealing when we bought. They are in michigan so its a little far for you. they are at http://www.lakeshore-rv.com/
Old 01-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #3

Thanks a lot. I did check it out but they did not have any Surveyor's. We had been looking at the Rockwood but then someone on the forum was saying the Surveyor had a few more advantages. Guess we will keep looking.

Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #4

Try this website

I bought my Forest River Sandpiper from www.rvwholesalers.com
and they beat the best local dealer price by over five thousand dollars.
You can go to their website to check what models they carry and then
configure the one you are interested in and come up with their selling price. I was very pleased with them. Their dealer prep is a bit weak so I don't recommend them for a first time purchaser. However, they make a great deal and you can stay a couple of nights in the area at a local state park to shake out any bugs before you head home. If you need more info just get in touch with me.

2005 Dodge 2500 TD
Equalizer Hitch
jjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Forest River Grani,to the forum.

The missus and I bought the same sized Surveyor as the 264 last fall, but our model was the 263 (2008) which is now discontinued. Regretfully, we haven't gotten a chance to use it much as winter was settling in, but so far it seems to be a very functional camper.

Definitely check around on prices. We found ours at a local dealer, then I checked around on the net for comparisions. The units that we found at other dealers with similar trailer options was $5000 to $7000 more than the price that the local dealer had listed, and we got another $500 of his sale price, so we think we got a good deal. Shop on the net, find some deals, then go back to your dealer and see what you can work out. I realize that the dealers need to make a profit, as that is what business is all about, but there is a huge markup on RVs....as much as 30 to 40% from suggested manufacturer's price.
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Grani. to FRF!

I have seen on line that RVDirect.com has excellent pricing. I can't say that from experience but one of my co-workers purchased his 5th wheel from there and saved over $5000 compared to the show price at the Timonium MD show 2 years ago. Best of luck in your search.

http://rvdirect.com/index.asp

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #7

Thanks guys, it really helps to know what others have done. I have checked out all the suggestions and have been impressed with them but no one has the Surveyor. We may have to go with the Rockwood if we can't find a Surveyor. The Rockwood doesn't have the covered belly and several other options we want that the Surveyor does. We will keep looking, have a little while yet before the cold weather is over. This forum has been a big help in answering questions we had on our minds. As a matter of fact, we got answers to things we hadn't even thought of.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #8

I just purchased a Rockwood from Jamatt RV in Poteau, OK. It would be a ways for you to drive, but it's worth checking into. Check out their web site, jamattrv.com. They have discounted their prices and there is very little negotiating room, but they will accept reasoanble offers. Look around and buy what you want, where you want. Just letting you know what I've experienced.
The Rockwoods do have a covered underbelly. The only thing visable under mine are the stabilizer jacks, dump valves and drain spout. Mine also has heated tanks. After looking at the Surveyors, then the Rockwoods, I saw very little difference in quality, if any.
The only complaint I had with Jamatt RV was the hitch set up. They were close, but the tv was squating too much. I read the manual and fixed it myself when I got home. Works great now. It was the first equal-izer hitch I have owned and I was unfamilar with the set up. I should have read the manual before I left their lot. Even with the bad set up the tt had very little sway on the way home and I experienced 25 to 30 mph crosswinds on I-40.
I looked at the Surveyors in Claremore, where I bought the Salem I traded in, but I ran into the same thing as you. They wouldn't even talk to me about my offer and tried to sell me a tt I didn't want. It was a compleatly different experience from when I bought my Salem.
Good luck, I hope you find what you want.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote