Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #1

New from Wisconsin

Hi everyone!

We took the plunge yesterday and ordered a Rockwood 2304S. It should arrive in about 8 weeks. My wife and I are new to pulling a travel trailer, but have been campers for over 30 years. Time to get out of the tent! Any advise to first time trailer haulers would be welcome.

Thanks,

Deb & Dave
dbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hello Deb & Dave from another Wisconsinite! My main piece of advice to new RVers is to enjoy the process.

You can dive into this as much or as little as you wish. Big picture to every little detail. Whatever you opt for is right.

Having said that, I find it good to practice camping a night or two in your driveway and a local park. That will tell you much. A pad and paper will be good. Write down your questions and post back. I'm certain you'll get some answers.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #3

Welcome from another Wisconsinite. Congrats on ordering your new TT. I agree, Camp Driveway is a great place to camp the first night or two. I suggest taking it to a school parking lot on the weekend and practice backing it up. One hint I learned years ago was to put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and move your hand in the direction you want the rear of the trailer to go.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome from MN!! We are so lucky to be in some of the best camping states in the nation! MN, WI, MI !!! Have fun. I keep a list of things that I need to get each time we go camping; a fixed list. A local camp will help you develop a list and, if it is a critical item, you are not so far from civilization!!

Have fun!!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
Site Team

Hi Deb & Dave

Congrats on the new Rockwood!
Using a smartphone to take pictures (or video) can come in handy as a visual guide but also is helpful when trying to explain a problem. Not only are campground neighbors friendly but also a great source for help too.

Have fun and enjoy your new TT.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #6

Congratulations Dave & Deb. We were newbies last fall when we made our purchase. Spend the next weeks on this forum and you will learn alot. Do a search for topics that you have questions about and also hit the FAQ section of the forum. Update your signature w/ your Tow Vehicle (TV) and Travel Trailer (TT) info so as you ask questions or post replies it is easier for others to understand your setup. By the time we did our PDI at the dealer, we were very comfortable with most setup questions.