Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2015, 01:04 AM   #1

New full timers, saying hello

Good evening,

DW and I have decided we dislike the heat of Phoenix Arizona immensely, but aren't sure where we want to move yet (somewhere cooler where we can have some land and horses). So we are doing what any sane people would and going full time in a 5th wheel to see the sights, stay out of the heat, and have loads of fun along the way. Maybe even find a place to have a permanent domicile along the way.

A little background, she's 38 and retired/disabled military, I am 33 retired IT. We have two dogs, a 14 year old cranky retired greyhound, and a 3 year old chocolate Labrador.

We've been talking about doing this for about 6 months, so we traded in both of our vehicles to get something more appropriate, put the house up for sale and started looking for 5th wheels. It's been quite a ride so far just finding something that fit our needs at a price point we both agreed on.

Our TV is a 2015 Chevy 3500drw 8' bed with the duramax/allison
Our 5th wheel is a 2016 Cedar Creek Silverback 33ik (which we pick up 10-02-15).

Neither of us have ever owned an RV of any sort before, I am not new to towing, I've pulled horse trailers of various sizes around, but this will be the biggest thing I've towed so far.

Our house closes 10-23-15, our first destination I think is Flagstaff Arizona, get some hiking in, do some star gazing and work the kinks out. From there, not sure. Our plan (we all know how that goes) is to do mostly boondocking with the occasional visit to an RV park for full hookups. We plan on getting a onan 5500lp generator installed soon so we can use it to do laundry, and im currently looking at a small solar setup to keep the batteries up (fridge cold, lights, water pump, and a coffee grinder in the mornings).

To be honest, I am nervous and excited all at the same time. We hope to meet some good people in our travels and have a lifetime of experiences behind us when we do settle down again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1509.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	90292   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1614.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	90293  
traysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:24 AM   #2

Congratulations and welcome to the forum from Wv
1 mutt
on occasion 1 DD
themounties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:25 AM   #3

Enjoy the sights and the camping experience in an rv. Welcome to the forum.
2003 Ford F-250 super duty diesel
Vinemont, AL
Triple SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:59 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum and the world of RVing. Enjoy your new adventure Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by traysurfer View Post
<SNIP>
So we are doing what any sane people would and going full time in a 5th wheel to see the sights, stay out of the heat, and have loads of fun along the way. Maybe even find a place to have a permanent domicile along the way.

<SNIP>

Our TV is a 2015 Chevy 3500drw 8' bed with the duramax/allison
Our 5th wheel is a 2016 Cedar Creek Silverback 33ik (which we pick up 10-02-15).

Neither of us have ever owned an RV of any sort before, I am not new to towing, I've pulled horse trailers of various sizes around, but this will be the biggest thing I've towed so far.

Our house closes 10-23-15, our first destination I think is Flagstaff Arizona, get some hiking in, do some star gazing and work the kinks out. From there, not sure. Our plan (we all know how that goes) is to do mostly boondocking with the occasional visit to an RV park for full hookups. We plan on getting a onan 5500lp generator installed soon so we can use it to do laundry, and im currently looking at a small solar setup to keep the batteries up (fridge cold, lights, water pump, and a coffee grinder in the mornings).

To be honest, I am nervous and excited all at the same time. We hope to meet some good people in our travels and have a lifetime of experiences behind us when we do settle down again.
Welcome to the Forums and CONGRATULATIONS on your new Cedar Creek!

Couple of things, since you are new to this

#1 MOST IMPORTANT!! Make sure you do a COMPLETE Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) with your RV Dealer. The forums has a pretty complete PDI checklist at this link:
Forest River Forums - Downloads - PDI Checklist

We cannot stress the importance of a complete PDI! A complete PDI can take 4+ hours. Do NOT let the dealer rush you, do NOT be afraid to video the tech showing you how to operate things (tell him/her that the video is so you will remember because you are new to this).

This is going to be your house, so yes, nit pick everything! Do NOT let the dealer cow you or tell you they cannot fix anything you find wrong.

Test everything and, if possible, camp out overnight someplace really close to the dealer after you PDI and pick up your unit so you can REALLY test everything (the toilet is sorta tough to test during a PDI )

On your overnight campout use EVERY feature in your 5er - the TVs (all of them), the kitchen sink, oven, furnace, air conditioner - every item in your new home.

You want to make sure everything is perfect in your new Cedar Creek because here is a small factoid you may not know: after you "live" in your Cedar Creek for 120 consecutive days, your warranty will be void. Don't Panic - there is a solution but, so you know, with the excption of very high end 5th wheels (such as Mobile suited and Redwood) NO RV manufacturer warrants their RV for fulltime living.

That said, there is good news: CoachNet, the RV insurance that you get for "free" from Forest River for the 1st year (and renewable for a 2nd as well) can be modified so that you are covered for full time use of your Cedar Creek. If you are interested, message me and I can put you in touch with someone at CoachNet corporate.

The PDI and insurance are the 2 biggest things you need to worry about right now.

There are several "must have" items that you need to purchase before you spend 1 minute camping in your new home, but we can deal with them after we get over the PDI & Insurance hump.

FINALLY, join the Escapees RV Club. This is a club that is dedicated to the Full or Mostly-time RVers [www.escapees.com] (we will be going fulltime in 2018 & are members as well - look us up on the site we are SKP 123967)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:44 AM   #6

Thanks for that info, I knew about doing a long PDI and had a form from somewhere else, I like this one better.

I've been to the escapees website at some point, I will get registered over there sometime today.

Any other info is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-30-2015, 09:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Welcome to the Forums and CONGRATULATIONS on your new Cedar Creek!

FINALLY, join the Escapees RV Club. This is a club that is dedicated to the Full or Mostly-time RVers [www.escapees.com] (we will be going fulltime in 2018 & are members as well - look us up on the site we are SKP 123967)
The brackets need to be removed from the web site listed as it will not work. Later RJD
Days camped 2019 62
Old 09-30-2015, 10:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for that info, I knew about doing a long PDI and had a form from somewhere else, I like this one better.

I've been to the escapees website at some point, I will get registered over there sometime today.

Any other info is greatly appreciated!
Question: did you get your Cedar Creek with the 6 point auto leveling system?

Here is your "MUST HAVE" list of aftermarket items. Really you are fulltiming and you need to get these before your first night camping!
  1. NEW TIRES! The junk that comes on your Cedar Creek is not worth it! Get either Goodyear or Maxxis load rating E tires. Have them installed at the RV dealer and have metal valve stems installed, & spin balanced to 65MPH. DO NOT let your dealer talk you out of this important safety item!. Just check the threads on the forums about "China Bombs."
  2. Rhinoflex Sewer hose(Lippert wasteMaster is better but about 4X more expensive but you DO get what you pay for, and you ARE fulltiming - do you really want a sewer problm?!)
    Rhinoflex: Amazon.com: Camco 39761 RhinoFLEX 15&#39; Sewer Hose Kit with Swivel Fitting: Automotive

Lippert: Waste Master RV Sewer Management System

3. Progressive Industeries Power management System (Just go ahead and get the hardwired unit and pay to have it installed if you can't do it - you will thank yourself later.
    http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-In.../dp/B002UC6RSA

Yes it is expensive, but a power surge to your Cedar Creek can EASILY do $4K worth of damage. Lowe power when runing your A/C can do $1-2K worth of A/C damage. We NEVER plug into a pedastal without our Progressive in the loop

4. TST Tire Pressure Monitors. Honestly, since you are fulltiming, I encourage you to just get the internal sensors - especially since you will be getting new tires anyway.
    Truck System Technologies - TST 507 Internal Tire Pressure Kit
    If you decide to get the external sensors, they are here:
    507 Starter System Kit - Starter Systems, Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems - Truck System Technologies

Really, though, you are only saving $200 or so and since you are fulltiming, IMHO, it's not worth the hassle of having to put the sensors on when you break camp and take them off when you setup camp (if you don't you run the batteries down). Also, the internal TPMS come with metal valves, which will cost you $10-15 if you get the external sensors.

5. Adjustable Water Pressure Regulator (set it on 55-60 PSI for a good "residential quality" shower in your Cedar Creek. Couple this with a Oxygenics shower head and you will look forward to that morning or evening shower

Pressure Regulator: http://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Regul...60_SR160%2C160_

Oxygenics: http://www.amazon.com/ETL-26781-Whit...cs+shower+head
    (Get it with a shut off valve...sold seperately)
These are the top 5 things that you absolutly need (and, actually, the shower head falls in the 'nice to have' category but hey creature comforts, ya know LOL) - everything else are in the nice to have category IMO.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:06 AM   #9

Thanks for that info! Yes, we do have the 6 point leveling system in our unit.

I had actually already picked up the Rhinoflex sewer hose a few days ago, i've been looking at electrical management systems, I was looking at that same one, except the external version. I was also getting the water pressure regulator and Oxygenics shower head already too.

Good call on the tires, I will have that done today, and on getting the internal TPMS sensors, I was just going to get the external ones, didnt even think about internal ones.

PDI is 5 hours away, should be fun.

Quote:
Question: did you get your Cedar Creek with the 6 point auto leveling system?

Here is your "MUST HAVE" list of aftermarket items. Really you are fulltiming and you need to get these before your first night camping!
  1. NEW TIRES! The junk that comes on your Cedar Creek is not worth it! Get either Goodyear or Maxxis load rating E tires. Have them installed at the RV dealer and have metal valve stems installed, & spin balanced to 65MPH. DO NOT let your dealer talk you out of this important safety item!. Just check the threads on the forums about "China Bombs."
  2. Rhinoflex Sewer hose(Lippert wasteMaster is better but about 4X more expensive but you DO get what you pay for, and you ARE fulltiming - do you really want a sewer problm?!)
    Rhinoflex: Amazon.com: Camco 39761 RhinoFLEX 15&#39; Sewer Hose Kit with Swivel Fitting: Automotive

Lippert: Waste Master RV Sewer Management System
  3. Progressive Industeries Power management System (Just go ahead and get the hardwired unit and pay to have it installed if you can't do it - you will thank yourself later.
    Amazon.com: Progressive Industries HW30C 30 Amp Hardwired Electrical Management System with Remote Display: Automotive

Yes it is expensive, but a power surge to your Cedar Creek can EASILY do $4K worth of damage. Lowe power when runing your A/C can do $1-2K worth of A/C damage. We NEVER plug into a pedastal without our Progressive in the loop
  4. TST Tire Pressure Monitors. Honestly, since you are fulltiming, I encourage you to just get the internal sensors - especially since you will be getting new tires anyway.
    Truck System Technologies - TST 507 Internal Tire Pressure Kit
    If you decide to get the external sensors, they are here:
    507 Starter System Kit - Starter Systems, Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems - Truck System Technologies

Really, though, you are only saving $200 or so and since you are fulltiming, IMHO, it's not worth the hassle of having to put the sensors on when you break camp and take them off when you setup camp (if you don't you run the batteries down). Also, the internal TPMS come with metal valves, which will cost you $10-15 if you get the external sensors.
  5. Adjustable Water Pressure Regulator (set it on 55-60 PSI for a good "residential quality" shower in your Cedar Creek. Couple this with a Oxygenics shower head and you will look forward to that morning or evening shower

Pressure Regulator: http://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Regul...60_SR160%2C160_

Oxygenics: http://www.amazon.com/ETL-26781-Whit...cs+shower+head
    (Get it with a shut off valve...sold seperately)
These are the top 5 things that you absolutly need (and, actually, the shower head falls in the 'nice to have' category but hey creature comforts, ya know LOL) - everything else are in the nice to have category IMO.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for that info! Yes, we do have the 6 point leveling system in our unit.

I had actually already picked up the Rhinoflex sewer hose a few days ago, i've been looking at electrical management systems, I was looking at that same one, except the external version. I was also getting the water pressure regulator and Oxygenics shower head already too.

Good call on the tires, I will have that done today, and on getting the internal TPMS sensors, I was just going to get the external ones, didnt even think about internal ones.

PDI is 5 hours away, should be fun.
AWESOME - sounds like you are not as "New" as you made yourself out to be - you are on top of it!

Let us know how your PDI went!
Old 10-03-2015, 04:07 AM   #11

Quote:
AWESOME - sounds like you are not as "New" as you made yourself out to be - you are on top of it!

Let us know how your PDI went!
PDI went good, took us about 3.5 hours. There were 4 things that came up, they fixed them all while we went to lunch. They adjusted our 5th wheel hitch up as bottom of the unit sat too low to the bed at first hookup.

Getting tires changed out in the morning (tech even said we should)

Our plan initially was to get an onan 5500LP generator installed, but we are re-thinking that. We are thinking about doing a bigger solar setup with more batteries instead. Neither DW or I really enjoy the idea of listening to a generator to have to charge batteries, or loosing all that space up front. (we would loose some with a bigger battery bank, but not as much as a generator). We would still probably pickup and lug around one of those little honda external generators that everyone talks about. Although im not 100% sure if we need the EU2000i or EU2000iA, the iA has a 30a plug. It would really be just for weekly laundry usage with our combo unit, things of that nature.

We did expierence the chucking everyone talks about, guess you cant help it when your towing what amounts to a 12k lb brick behind you. Dealer recommended the moride pinbox over the trailair. I will have to dig into that.

Plan at this point is to load up some basics and leave Thursday for a few days to the cooler weather (probably at a park with power) to get the kinks worked out.

If anybody has good information on an Arizona based solar company for RV's I would greatly appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck_with_5th_wheel.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	90509  
Old 10-03-2015, 04:55 AM   #12

I have no input on the solar, but that is a nice looking rig! Congratulations and good luck!
Old 10-03-2015, 07:22 AM   #13

Nice looking rig. You mentioned going to solar. Is your trailer pre wired for it, if so is system called Zamp. Mine came with that system and just for info it is wire opposite of other systems so it they make you believe you can only use there's but from what I've read you can reverse the polarity at the trailer to use other systems. Later RJD
Days camped 2019 62
Old 10-06-2015, 04:33 AM   #14

Good morning,

A few updates from us so far (T-minus 18 days).

Tires were swapped out Saturday morning, and I installed the tireminder TPMS system, just have to install the booster it came with.

We picked up one of those little Honda 2000iA generators (just in case).

Power management system, and pressure regulator arrived yesterday.

Next on the list is picking a state to domicile, a wifi range extender ( https://www.wifiranger.com/shop/product/49-elite-pack ), and solar. Oh, and the oxygenics shower head that I forgot with my last amazon order.

Been slow loading stuff into the trailer, we have it parked in the street as close to the sidewalk as I could get it, so we keep the slides in most of the time to be polite.

Any recommendations on lower watt LED's? The LED's above the bed and above the couch are super bright, almost blinding and we want dimmer ones. They aren't controlled by a switch, they have their own little buttons on the light cover.

We did find out that the two switches (one in the hall going up the stairs, and one in the bathroom) weren't actually broken, they control little LED strips in the kitchen island and bathroom counter. DW was very excited about them.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:49 AM   #15

Quote:
PDI went good, took us about 3.5 hours. There were 4 things that came up, they fixed them all while we went to lunch. They adjusted our 5th wheel hitch up as bottom of the unit sat too low to the bed at first hookup.

Getting tires changed out in the morning (tech even said we should)

Our plan initially was to get an onan 5500LP generator installed, but we are re-thinking that. We are thinking about doing a bigger solar setup with more batteries instead. Neither DW or I really enjoy the idea of listening to a generator to have to charge batteries, or loosing all that space up front. (we would loose some with a bigger battery bank, but not as much as a generator). We would still probably pickup and lug around one of those little honda external generators that everyone talks about. Although im not 100% sure if we need the EU2000i or EU2000iA, the iA has a 30a plug. It would really be just for weekly laundry usage with our combo unit, things of that nature.

We did expierence the chucking everyone talks about, guess you cant help it when your towing what amounts to a 12k lb brick behind you. Dealer recommended the moride pinbox over the trailair. I will have to dig into that.

Plan at this point is to load up some basics and leave Thursday for a few days to the cooler weather (probably at a park with power) to get the kinks worked out.

If anybody has good information on an Arizona based solar company for RV's I would greatly appreciate it.
You would not believe how quiet those Onan 5.5KW propane generators are! We toured the XLT Thunderbolt factory this year at Goshen and they had a unit set up and running the generator. We could barely hear the thing when we were standing by the front cap and could not hear it at all when we were inside the 5er and in the bedroom (right over the generator compartment!)

If you really are interested in Solar power, the blog "Gone With The Wynn's" has a great piece of solar panels here: Resurrecting Dinosaurs ? Our RV Modifications and Technology

For us when we go FT, when you absolutely need power, you can always rely on a generator (think a Katrina situation here). The solar panels would be a great option but they wind up costing much more than a generator. If I could swing it, I would want both - and I see the front cap basement as a great place to mod the generator cover to be an expanded battery bay (You sure could put a boatload of batteries on top of the genny cover!)

The Gone with the Wynn's article is interesting because they are opting for Lithium batteries instead of 6 or 12 Volt. They have the advantage of a larger ah, less weight, maintenance free with a 7 year life and you can drain them to 90% The down side? MAN theswe suckers are expensive!!
Old 10-07-2015, 04:32 AM   #16

Those lithium batteries are for sure pricey. I've been on the wynns site for a long time, they have a lot of good information. I've been talking to the guys at GoPower for help on a solar setup.

The plan is to add 2-3 more matching 6 volt batteries (I have to re-run the numbers on amp hours) and add 440 watts of solar (2 x 160watt solar panels on the roof and a 120watt portable one). Thier controller would allow for 1 more 160watt panel if necessary down the road.

Good news is, we already have a decent 4 stage converter/charger and a 1000watt inverter, so that saves a decent chunk on initial cost, and there is a highly recommended GoPower dealer just down the road to help with installation.

Lithium will be a few years down the road once these 6 volt batteries are done.

Last question (well...probably not). What does everyone use to keep dishes/cups from breaking while in motion? It's not cost effective, let alone nice to the environment to use paper products as full timers.

Quote:
You would not believe how quiet those Onan 5.5KW propane generators are! We toured the XLT Thunderbolt factory this year at Goshen and they had a unit set up and running the generator. We could barely hear the thing when we were standing by the front cap and could not hear it at all when we were inside the 5er and in the bedroom (right over the generator compartment!)

If you really are interested in Solar power, the blog "Gone With The Wynn's" has a great piece of solar panels here: Resurrecting Dinosaurs ? Our RV Modifications and Technology

For us when we go FT, when you absolutely need power, you can always rely on a generator (think a Katrina situation here). The solar panels would be a great option but they wind up costing much more than a generator. If I could swing it, I would want both - and I see the front cap basement as a great place to mod the generator cover to be an expanded battery bay (You sure could put a boatload of batteries on top of the genny cover!)

The Gone with the Wynn's article is interesting because they are opting for Lithium batteries instead of 6 or 12 Volt. They have the advantage of a larger ah, less weight, maintenance free with a 7 year life and you can drain them to 90% The down side? MAN theswe suckers are expensive!!
Old 10-08-2015, 09:02 AM   #17

Thanks to your wife for her service to our country.
dmac1951 is offline   Reply With Quote