Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #21
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

On our fifth year. Retired Navy.... Sold the house in AZ and loving every day we have. Don't know how many miles you travel but we go south from Chicago area during the frozen Chi-Beria time. We have several small mods to make it our place and to ease the comfort and call it our home. Keep track of tires (wear/pressure) and pull them wheel bearings out, have them cleaned, inspected, and repacked every year. If you got dual axels and have a wheel problem you can remove the wheel and limp (40mph) to a repair shop.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:20 PM   #22

Well she is parked on boards at my small 10 ac. farm in SC and as i have no pull vehicle she will stay parked for a bit. I took a day off of work and built a 6'x10' deck and will likely put a roof over her. Each time i save the $$ to buy a used veh to pull her, i find something to spend the money on lol. Very happy to meet another fulltimer
Old 05-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #23

Wow my post disappeared. She is parked at my farm in sc. I hope to have an old used truck to pull her by end of summer but with horses, dogs amd a 56 hour a weej job i doubt i will be travelling any time soon. great to meet another fulltimer!!!
Old 05-12-2014, 02:31 AM   #24
Plain Old Member

We full time as well. Sold a beautiful home and a majority of our things to live this lifestyle. 2 young children homeschooled as well. One thing we learned quick, that you don't really think about, is being displaced when you're home needs major repair. It can happen. I too can fix most anything. Our cargo trailer we bring with us is practically a mobile rv repair center, spare parts and all. But, I can't replace a front cap or a slide floor while we're living in it. We've dealt with major repairs twice since January. Luckily we were able to borrow a camper, and if worse comes to worse, though we don't own a home any longer, we do have places we can go to lay our head. Just food for thought as you enter this lifestyle.

Please have a plan in the event something major happens that you can't fix onsight.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:26 AM   #25

BigJohn...agreed on a backup plan. If it were just myself could stay in my barn but one of my dogs doesn't like the cold and the other doesn't like the heat so my immediate backup plan is my neighbor and best friend has a 27' prowler i can bring over and my long term plan is to have a smaller rv on the side parked pff under a shade tree somewhere .
Old 05-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #26

Wow good for you to do this with your kids!! What a greats life full timing!! My husband and I jumped in to an old airstream and had never used an RV, (we are both guides and spent a lot of time tent and car camping) we were in for some fun eye openers. Your post brought back amazing memories and giggles. We full timed for 3 years. If you need any help or want to swap stories please let me know.
telladventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #27

Wow good for you
telladventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #28

I agree with telladventure and too commend you on taking this on with children!!!!!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #29
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
This is a bit late...but I agree with brother Les. Even after the walk thru on our 2014 Rockwood 8329 by a tech from Campers World, the company that sold us the TT, we got only 50% of what we needed to know. The result was we made a mistake that will cost us just under $1000 if I negotiate well. So you experienced RV'rs who after learning what you did after many experiences and hours on the road...are not doing this newbie justice by telling him...oh just go and enjoy. That's B S.
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #30
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
By the way...this was addressed to Gypsy four
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote