Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2018, 10:36 PM   #61

Forest River Geo Pro 19FD towed by Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.6 liter engine, 8 speed automatic transmission, and a factory tow package. The Jeep’s rated towing capacity is 6200 pounds. The dry weight of the Geo Pro is 2829 pounds. The hitch weight is 390 pounds.
Sunscout:
Reading your post I was thinking wow, this must be made up.. can't believe anyone would have this kind of experience. I sure hope the overallTT experience continues to improve.
Let me try to share some information relative to your tow vehicle question.
I'm a new owner of a Geo Pro 19fbs. Brochure listed it at something under 3000# with a tongue around 360#. What you need to know however is the brochure is referring to the avg wgt of the most stripped down version of that TT. There's lots of extras and options that all add weight. In our case for example, we have the a/c, micro wave oven, suspension lift, solar, dual batteries and propane tanks. The true wgt of our rig is well north of 3000 and loaded the tongue is pushing 700#.
We purchased the trailer thinking our 6400# tow rated Toyota Tacoma would easily handle it. A number you need to become familiar with for the jeep is its payload rating. There should be a white and yellow sticker in the drivers door that lists maximum payload. Payload includes everything you add to the jeep including driver and passengers. Tongue get is all payload as is your likely 100# WD hitch
Our Tacoma towed the TT reasonably well, even up long steep grades. Where it failed however is when we took it with TT to the CAT scales to check wgts. We learned that we had exceeded the GVWR of the Toyota even b4 including everything we know we'll travel with. We also exceeded the max 650# allowed on the hitch.
My suggestions to you are
Pack trailer the way you'll typically camp and go to the scales. Compare the wgts on each axle and your gross weights with info on the stickers and your jeeps manual. Check for hitch maximums. Avoid exceeding any of those limits.
You don't need to worry about driving with higher rpms. You'll be under the rev limiter for the engine.
You'll be fine driving up to 65 mph and the limit there are theTT tires
If you have a tow/ haul option, use it.
If not, many manufacturers will suggest not putting the vehicle in drive, but the next lowest transmission option. That keeps the tranny out of overdrive and avoids lugging the engine and frequent shifting.
If you have a tranny temp gauge, pay attention to it, if not consider adding one and if need be an after market tranny cooler.
We had no choice but to upgrade the tow vehicle.
Good luck
lamokadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:57 PM   #62

I perfomed a “mod” on my Geo Pro’s shower wand hose today. Freeing up some slack.

RFishstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #63

Looking for info on GeoPro 14FK

Hi, I’m starting to look for a GeoPro 14FK but was wondering two things.

I’m a Tall guy 6,3 325 pounds so yeah kinda a big dude. Anyone who has one know the measurements on the bathroom and about turning the dining area into a full time bed with a good mattress? Like what mattress would fit there best?

Don’t plan on spending much time inside other than sleeping and using the facilities when necessary.

Thanks in advance.
GaryZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:02 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryZero View Post
Hi, I’m starting to look for a GeoPro 14FK but was wondering two things.

I’m a Tall guy 6,3 325 pounds so yeah kinda a big dude. Anyone who has one know the measurements on the bathroom and about turning the dining area into a full time bed with a good mattress? Like what mattress would fit there best?

Don’t plan on spending much time inside other than sleeping and using the facilities when necessary.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Gary,
I don't own a 14FK, but seriously considered it this past spring. My big reservation was the bed size. It's longest dimension is 69" and the only way I could sleep on it would be on the diagonal, as I'm 6' tall. I reluctantly passed on buying the 14FK for that reason and bc the bed could not be left full time and still have a place to eat. I can't speak to the actual wet bath's dimensions, but it is tiny. I think it would be a problem for you. Forest River (GeoPro/EPro) is coming out with a new model next year, the 15TB, with longer twin beds (30"x74") in the rear. The 15TB will be wider and longer than the 14FK. I don't know if the bath dimensions are larger in the 15TB. Unfortunately, it will weigh 500 lbs. more than the 14FK.
Mike

Mike
poochpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #65

Thanks Mike, after I looked at measurements more and pictures online I think you’re right. I’m looking at other options now. Started looking at the bunk version but I don’t like the bunk layout. I was really wanting something that has a good bed decent bathroom and that’s it. I plan to do mostly boondocking and for long periods of time. But I’ll probably have to move up to a larger trailer.

Where did you find info on the 15TB? And when do they release new trailers? I was hoping to hit the road in December.
GaryZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryZero View Post

Where did you find info on the 15TB? And when do they release new trailers? I was hoping to hit the road in December.

I saw references to it on several dealer's websites, with a floorplan shown, but no specs. I emailed Forest River and a co. rep. emailed me back with some of the specs that have been set, others still not available. So far, the specs are:
UVR: 2568
Length: 15' 10"
Width: 88"
Height w/ ac: 115"
Int. Height: 78"
F, B, G Water: 37, 12, 12

Don't know when it will be available.

Mike
poochpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:44 PM   #67

Just picked up our Geo Pro 19 FD

We were getting serious about the R-Pod, but once we toured the Geo Pro we were hooked. It just happens to check all the boxes for the two of us and (and our Newfie). What a great use of space: love the dry bath, Murphy bed that can stay made, dinette for two, solar and the boon-docking capability. We stayed with full hookups this weekend to make sure everything worked, and aside from the heater's initial smell (expected) and me hooking up the fresh water to the black water flush (it's where you usually find them, next to the fill!). "How much are you flushing the damn toilet, the black tank is full???... oh, never-mind" . Had the dealer set up our Q5, which we will not use often, but the Prodigy wireless controllers can be a PITA to set up in German cars. towed like nothing was there and this included our 75 MPH highways here in Colorado (settled in between 65 and 70, and could do it all day). Glad to have found the forum and all the help you've already supplied!!
Scottnweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #68
Msj

We have a 19fbs. Love the layout and perfect size for us but we're having issues all over the place. This is our first ever rv so maybe some of the issues are expected. All suggestions and advice welcome. First, the drawers under the sink keep falling apart which is really a small issue compared to the rest. The refrigerator won't stay cool enough. I don't know if we just don't understand how the solar works but the percentage will read all over the place. Within minutes it would go from 18 to 40 percent. Then the batteries will say they are only so full and the readings don't match. I don't know. Feeling pretty frustrated and confused. Help! ��
Msj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:53 PM   #69

Welcome Msj
We too have a 19fsb with solar but in our case things have been pretty good. In fact we're just back from 10 wks, 6500 mile trip.
Tell me more about your problems and maybe I can help.
Are your kitchen draws seated properly in their slides?
You might try removing them them reinstalling. I did find the tracks on the drawers to be loose and required a bit of tightening. To remove the draws, one side required a squeeze up and the opposite side required a pull down of the tabs on the extensions.
For fridge temp, there is a sliding thermistor on the cooling fins in the inside back. Note its current position and try sliding it up a bit on the fin. Is your cooling problem on gas, electric or both?
I'm not sure we have the same solar setup as ours was dealer installed. The controller its wall mounted on the bathroom wall side above the sofa. It needs to be setup considering the type of battery you have installed and then set considering 1 or 2 batteries. We have 2 6volt flooded batteries set up on zone A . My 2 6v are the equivalent of a single 12v in a 12v system therefore we use only zone A for a single battery setup. .
You need to set The controller for battery type between AGM, flooded or I think gel.
This is important as it sets The charging protocol. Of course ours was incorrectly set by The dealer The controller can be set to either scroll through or wait for a button push to tell the following. Volts, charging amps, and battery charge level. For healthy batteries, volts should typically be between 12.4 and 13.8 It'll typically read the higher values when plugged into shore power and lower when boondocking and using 12v in the camper. Once a month typically when on shore power it'll read in the mid 14s as it performs a battery health function.
Your batteries will typically read 100% on shore power or after sitting in good sun with little 12v demand on them and lower after an evening of 12v use with no shore power. Our controller will change from 100 to 90% with moderate use but will then decrease by single digits 89,87,etc. It recovers from 90 to 100 with no digits in between as well.
The amps charging is influenced by sun exposure, panel angle, time of day and is impacted by every obstruction. The more difficult variable is current charge state of the battery. If battery requires no charge, even in the perfect solar charging senerio, it'll read a very low value. That fact makes it difficult to know how effective your system is working. We have 150 watt panel on the roof. After an evening of 12v use with batteries at 82%, most amps I've seen was 5.5 (66 watts). More typically it'll fluctuate between 1.5 and 3.0
BTW. The manual that came with your controller explains how to set battery type and how the display presents the info
Old 09-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #70
Trailer Park Supervisor

Just ordered a new G19FD Geo Pro at the Hershey show. Our first RV! Excited does not begin to describe this journey.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:47 PM   #71

GeoPro 14FK hitch

Hi All--
Just bought the GeoPro 14FK. Towing it with a V6 Colorado and would like recommendations on towing. I towed it home from the dealer (50 miles open road) without a WD or sway package and it seemed fine. But I am considering a Camco weight distribution with sway control system. Are there any 14FK owners with experiences and recommendations in this realm?
Ben47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #72

You might want to take a look at the Andersen WD anti sway. Light weight, simple to install and use and very effective. A great option for your truck and TT
Old 10-28-2018, 06:41 PM   #73
Trailer Park Supervisor

Know your tongue weight. I have the GeoPro G19FD on order. I am told my tongue weight will be about 700 lbs., which makes a WDH mandatory with my Ford F150, which has a 500 lb tongue limit without a WDH. I'm sure yours will be less, being my trailer is 20' long.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:31 AM   #74

I've been towing a GeoPro 19FD with the 3.6 liter Grand Cherokee using a weight distribution and sway bar hitch. Don't really know the brand. No problems. But i do keep the speed below 60 mph and travel mostly level roads in the midwest. I was surprised that someone mentioned that the hitch weight is 700 lbs. I thought it would be closer to 10% of 4000 lbs.
SunScoutGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:36 AM   #75
Trailer Park Supervisor

Pretty amazing the high hitch weigh on these single axle units. 400lbs dry. Add a couple batteries (120 lbs), a WDH (mine is 100 lbs), and some gear and supplies in trailer and you will according to other owners easily be at 700+
Old 10-29-2018, 10:46 AM   #76

Agreed. The hitch is a heavy beast. Batteries. I removed the bike rack. Adds up quickly. Not sure I want to keep towing it. Can't get a bigger truck to tow it with because of parking restrictions. Anyone know a potential buyer? GeoPro 19FD is less than a year old.
SunScoutGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunScoutGP View Post
Agreed. The hitch is a heavy beast. Batteries. I removed the bike rack. Adds up quickly. Not sure I want to keep towing it. Can't get a bigger truck to tow it with because of parking restrictions. Anyone know a potential buyer? GeoPro 19FD is less than a year old.
The hitch doesn't need to be a heavy beast. The Andersen is under 50#.
That said however, my 19fbs still goes north of 700#, especially when using the tongue bike rack. It does tow very well however. Stable and well mannered
Old 10-29-2018, 03:34 PM   #78
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Pretty amazing the high hitch weigh on these single axle units. 400lbs dry. Add a couple batteries (120 lbs), a WDH (mine is 100 lbs), and some gear and supplies in trailer and you will according to other owners easily be at 700+
That's the scam of small trailers for smaller tow vehicles.
The single axle puts more weight on the tongue, than a bigger/heavier tandem axle does.
They sell it based on the magic 3500lbs GVWR range but fail to acknowledge that many times the loaded tongue weight will exceed the CUV/minivan/small SUV's capabilities.
It's a similar marketing scam to the 1/2 towable 5th wheels.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #79

This year I used a Toyota Tacoma to tow my GEO PRO 19FBS. Overloads the CCC of the Tacoma by 450 pounds. I’m at 580 pounds (15%) tongue weight. I upgraded to a Ford F-250 for next year.
Question is: Does anyone know the lift weight rating of the electric tongue jack on the 19FBS? Now I’m concerned that the tongue jack won’t be powerful enough to lift the F-250 rear end high enough to hook up my Husky centerline 4 point weight distribution hitch.
Malacarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:00 PM   #80
Trailer Park Supervisor

I looked it up, it's like 5000 lbs. Trust me, you'll have no issue lifting the rear end of the truck to apply weight distribution. I was a little concerned when I did with my F150 for my first hitch up last week but it had no problem at all. My unit has the same power jack btw. If you're worried about overall height, stick a few boards beneath the jack foot, that's what I do. I use two boards, but will probably add another.

*** I looked up our jack on etrailer.com, It is a Lippert, and can jack 3500 lbs.