Old 01-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #11

Well, MPG is based on EPA estimates and my experience with their numbers and my vehicles.
The 6.0L gm v8 in a suburban is listed at 10/16mpg city/hwy. I can't see that getting 18 or 20 overall in daily driving. Call me a skeptic if you wish. The smaller motor does 1 or 2 mpg better but according to chevy's own specs the GCWR of the 1/2 ton is too little, if such numbers are to be believed and the 3/4 ton only comes with the bigger motor.

the expedition with a 5.4 is listed at 14/20 I think - so that /might/ get 16 or 17. Since I lean toward fords I'm gonna start my search on these first and see where it leads.

I had a jeep comanche for 11 years (17mpg overall avg, stock truck) a wrangler (305 chevy v8, 32" tires, 3" lift, 4:10 gears) and it got 11-13 most of the time.) It was fun but it was our 'spare' vehicle just like a dedicated tow vehicle might be. granted this was not a stock vehicle but it was the least reliable thing I've owned for a very long time (114k on it). Sitting does a vehicle a big disservice.

If we had a spare 15g's laying around I guess I might not be concerned with what to get or what it costs to use. But the $150 a month I spend on gas is money I can't spend on something else. I don't know about you or others here but when gas went to $4.20 a gallon in 2007 (or 8?) we stayed home a lot more, ate more spaghetti, listed to the kids whine a lot more. It's one thing when gas prices spike - you don't have control over that, but when it comes to what you drive you do have some input over it.

I think my issues (i'm not in denial, right?) are I like efficiency, I like being thrifty, I hate waste (be that food or money or fuel), I prefer a small vehicle over a big one and we had planned to get a 21' hybrid this year, not a 28' TT. The price was the same, the weight diff was only 800 lbs more and we liked the TT 10 times better - we'll use it more and be happier when we do use it. Seemed like a good idea - and still does. We just weren't prepared for needing a full size tow vehicle (an explorer was the plan for the hybrid and initial research shows it should pull the TT as well...more thorough research says a bigger vehicle is indeed a better choice.).

I had pickups for 15+ years and know the plus/minus of them. If you have multiple kids, their friends, pets, etc - or have ever lived with a 3 row seating vehicle - you can't go back to less. Our minivan is in the shop for an axle recall and our rental/loaner is an edge - there have been a few times we've had to take 2 vehicles when having the van meant only 1 would have been needed. IMO an ineffecient waste and it bugs me. YMMV of course.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #12

Update:
Picked up a one owner, well used (and loved) Ford Expedition this past week and just finished ordering a reese wd/cam hitch and prodigy 2 brake controller.

$5100 for the truck and hitch bits isn't too terrible i suppose. Opted for a 'cheap' truck as a third vehicle (add annual cost for insurance, plates, inspection is around $200) over replacing one of our day to day vehicles. Expeditions are alot pricier than Explorers and there are lot fewer of them out there.

What's really whacked is this 'full size suv' that get 11.8 mpg (according to it's own computer) is smaller inside than our 'mini van' ( interior length is 9" less than the van and it's shorter inside, only 2" wider at the back cargo area) that gets 18.4 mpg.

Only a couple of more weeks and we'll have our new baby home and we'll get to break 'er in!

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
Update:
Picked up a one owner, well used (and loved) Ford Expedition this past week and just finished ordering a reese wd/cam hitch and prodigy 2 brake controller.

$5100 for the truck and hitch bits isn't too terrible i suppose. Opted for a 'cheap' truck as a third vehicle (add annual cost for insurance, plates, inspection is around $200) over replacing one of our day to day vehicles. Expeditions are alot pricier than Explorers and there are lot fewer of them out there.

What's really whacked is this 'full size suv' that get 11.8 mpg (according to it's own computer) is smaller inside than our 'mini van' ( interior length is 9" less than the van and it's shorter inside, only 2" wider at the back cargo area) that gets 18.4 mpg.

Only a couple of more weeks and we'll have our new baby home and we'll get to break 'er in!
Congratulations on the new-to-you TV!

Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote