Old 11-30-2014, 09:11 PM   #1

Thumbs down New Guy - 2012 Forest River Widwood 35'

Hello all from Northeast Ohio.

Good to see other with pro and con regarding their units.

I'm sure not pro... have had other units for several years, and now own the queen of the campground, nothing but compliments after parking it my permanant site.

BUT... I find out being the second owner that I have NO WARRANTY whatsoever. I am the second owner, having bought it after the first owner passed away shortly after buying the unit.

So... since buying it (virtually brand new through the bank) I've experienced the following problems:

1. - Roof leak around skylight into the shower, and into kitchen window around the seal gasket.

2. - CD Player in the built in unit will not activate, although the radio does work.

3. - Black and Gray Water electronic indicators do not read anywhere near accurate.

and now.... the BIG Stuff!!!

4. - Pressure fitting under the sink going to the ice maker was apparently not put together properly causing a flooded floor after it separated on it's own. Had to replace the entire line with a heavy duty line...

5. - The furnace is now making a horrible noise... sure a mouse may have gotten in through the outside vent into the squirrel cage, but I don't smell anything. Seems I'll have to call service out for this spending $$$$$ since the furnace is surely a necessity.

For the cost of this unit, new was over $30-K, and even cosmetically leave much to be desired. Should I expect perfection, and the answer is yes. If the unit was old, or had been abused I'd understand, but purchasing a unit that had very little use, it is disturbing that Forest River will not (according a local RV dealer) will not cover any warranty repairs.

I just can't believe that Forest River produces what I'll call a second class product at first class cost..... but it sure is pretty!

Old 11-30-2014, 10:22 PM   #2

If you are expecting perfection from ANY rv you are dreaming. Never heard of that in even the most expensive units.
Your skylight may have been one that was recalled but never replaced by original owner.
Tank indicators are very seldom accurate.
If you have had freezing temps in Ohio, that could have caused your ice maker problem.
Heater may be as easy a some grease to stop the squeal.
I wouldn't give a blanket "Bad Rap" to an entire company over a few minor issues that the original owner failed to address.
Some of us are quite happy with our Forest River product.
Good luck with getting your "queen" in the shape you desire. Once you get her there, kick back, relax and enjoy!

Old 11-30-2014, 10:29 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

Not sure what you're expecting, but no rv manufacturer offers a factory warranty to anyone other than the original owner.
and how well maintained was it by the first owner?

If you wanted a warranty, you should have bought new or purchased a third party warranty.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:41 PM   #4

Sorry to hear about your problems. The reality is they are commonplace and it helps to be handy. My camper has had a lot of issues and I just dealt with them on my own even though it is still under warranty. Like most people on this forum, in spite of the issues I still really enjoy our camper.

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:07 PM   #5

I'm still pleased with the unit, but I am convinced that the Ice Maker issue was a result of bad workmanship, as the separation of the hose, happened in the middle of summer.

Hearing from others that the one year warranty limited to the original owner is industry wide, surely does not mean it is right. Actually, when I took delivery it was under a year old. A unit that has been abused will show it, i.e., leaking water lines from lack of proper winterization, and that by all means should be a rejection for any warranty repairs, but not at all the case with my unit.

That could turn in to a great marketing tool for RV manufacturers... a better warranty program than the competition, putting one way ahead of the other.

Either way, my unit is still "the Queen of the campground" (other than some quarter million $ motor homes). Don't know about just greasing the motor of the furnace, but I guess I'll have the final result (and a bill) when it's all better.

So with that said, I'll git er done, kick back, and enjoy.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:35 PM   #6
Moderators' Assistant

Remember, your rv appliances come with their own separate warranties that often are longer than the RV factory warranty.
FR nor any other RV manufacturer makes those appliances, they just install them.

Contact Dometic, Suburban, and others and see if they might be willing to work with you.

Most all your complaints are about things that FR doesn't even make.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:01 PM   #7

The Furnace Issue was as a result of the Squirrel Cage essentially falling apart. The repair guy blamed it on Suburban having poor workmanship, placing a plastic wheel inside that will fall apart from the heat/cold/heat, etc.

It was replaced with a metal cage... $265.00 later. Well it works!

Still hard to believe that the warranty on a new $30-K plus unit is only a year, and only to the original owner.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:15 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by car7236 View Post
The Furnace Issue was as a result of the Squirrel Cage essentially falling apart. The repair guy blamed it on Suburban having poor workmanship, placing a plastic wheel inside that will fall apart from the heat/cold/heat, etc.

It was replaced with a metal cage... $265.00 later. Well it works!

Still hard to believe that the warranty on a new $30-K plus unit is only a year, and only to the original owner.
Many things in life are not fair. I ended up trading my Rav4 for a truck after buying a travel trailer. The dealer sold my Rav4 and the new owners got a 7 year warranty while I only had a 3 year warranty.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, forest river