Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2016, 04:43 PM   #1

Question New guy picking up travel trailer on Friday!

So my wife and I are recently retired and moved to Utah from California. Seems there is plenty to do with an RV in Utah so I bought a tow vehicle (2012 Chevy Silverado) and a week later bought a 2016 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 201BHXL. My wife said the bunk beds were a requirement for the grand kids. Other than a few trips in an old Coleman pop-up 10 years ago, we're newbies. Definitely a step up from the pop-up! The RV dealer has a great reputation. My first of many questions: what should be my expectations at the walk-through on Friday? I've found lists on many RV websites that appear to cover 1,000s of items to check. This is a travel trailer so I can skip the engine/transmission checks. Should I expect the dealer to have the trailer hooked up to water, power, etc. and literally test every faucet, plug, oven, power awning, etc? Or is it more of a "visual" inspection. It's new and only been on the lot for 45 days.
Thanks for any help to reduce some anxiety here
tgduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:03 PM   #2
Site Team

You should insist that the dealer operates everything to insure it works but also that he /she shows you how to work it, Take videos if you think you may forget. They should have water and electric hooked up so they can demo everything. If something is not working and you are not willing to fix it, tell them you will complete the paperwork once it is fixed. Once you sign you will lose your leverage and the rig can sit on the dealers lot for a while. You do not want to get on a trip and find that an appliance does not work because it was not tested during PDI.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:20 PM   #3

Flybob summarized it perfectly. If you don't see it work then you won't know it works. And you need to see how it is supposed to work...it will help when you're out on your own. Congrats on the new trailer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:20 AM   #4

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your 2016 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 201BHXL. It is both a visual inspection and a performance inspection. To add to Flybobs post above, take a night light and check every outlet. Try every light both interior and exterior. Bring along a DVD to check the TV and DVD player.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #5

I appreciate all the replies and advice. I stayed awake last night, after reading some web-based PDI blogs and am concerned about 2 things. First, it sounds like new trailers are full of issues. Are most new trailers plagued with hundreds of issues/problems or is there a good chance my new one will be ready to take camping?
Old 04-27-2016, 11:07 AM   #6
Some guy in back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgduffy View Post
I appreciate all the replies and advice. I stayed awake last night, after reading some web-based PDI blogs and am concerned about 2 things. First, it sounds like new trailers are full of issues. Are most new trailers plagued with hundreds of issues/problems or is there a good chance my new one will be ready to take camping?
As the author of one of the PDI checklists floating around (and on this site), I can say a LOT depends on the dealer. If they have thoroughly gone through the trailer already, then most, if not all of the "little things" have probably been fixed. If the dealer waits until PDI to review the trailer, all bets are off.

Best advice I can offer is work closely with the dealer, let them know what you want to do and when. Then:

look at the trailer carefully before you are set to pick it up (if you can) and make a list of what you see and give it to the dealer for them to work on.

Give the dealer a copy of the PDI checklist you intend to use and tell them that that is what YOU will cover in the PDI.

Finally, as repeated by others, don't sign financial/ownership papers UNTIL you've done the PDI and are satisfied with the trailer.

Be pleasant, assertive, businesslike and flexible. Take ownership of the trailer you want in the condition you want it in.

For your question, I can tell you the last three trailers (all new) that I have purchased here in Northern California were ready to go camping when I picked them up. I camped in each one the day I picked each one up and found one had a small water leak at the infamous FR water filter and the other two were essentially perfect. YMMV

Good Luck!
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #7

Welcome and congrats!

Im right down the street in West Jordan!

Trailers are not plagued with hundreds of problems. You see only the negative (mainly) on the net and forums, happy people are just out enjoying their campers and not posting about how happy they are.

A quality dealer is key! Who's your dealer?

I would have them hook up everything, test and show you everything that is on the trailer. I would not sign anything or take ownership until everything is the way you want it.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:35 AM   #8

Remember that you are right at the end of the month. They will do ANYTHING to get you closed and signed by the 31st.
Take all day if you need to making sure everything is in working order.

Have all your ducks in a row with your hitch, ball, wiring, brakes, etc..
Anything they need to do to get you out of the driveway once they have your check will cost you dearly.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:22 PM   #9

Parris RV
Up to this point they have come across very professional and friendly, not pushy.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:43 PM   #10

Nice, I have been to parris a few times for odds and ends when I didnt want to go to camping world. Never a major purchase but they seemed fine. Like I said, PDI checklist, stick to it, make sure they show you everything and dont leave until you are comfortable.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:59 PM   #11

Thanks again. As mentioned my wife and I are new to this and new to Utah. Can you recommend a few low key campgrounds within an hour where we should go for our first few trips? I am aware of Spruces, Tanners Flat, Granite Flat, and a Cherry campground in the Springville area. We're not ready for huge developed RV parks. Any recommendations would be truly appreciated.
Ted
Old 04-27-2016, 01:05 PM   #12

I camped twice at Utah Lake just for shakedown runs, I hooked up to electric and water to make sure everything worked and then filled the fresh water tank and unhooked elctric and water just to make sure the pump and everything else worked. Also I would suggest driveway camp a night or two just to make sure.

For other campgrounds.... mirror lake, rockport, and jordanelle are great places, they have hook up and primitive sites. I stay away from RV parks too, I just boondock mirror lake highway, MOAB and St George all the time.

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer