Old 02-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #1
New here :)

My wife and i have jus bought our first travel trailer we have spent the lasy 6 years camping in a class b and a class c while we love camping some things changed.
We moved out to a farm and needed a good strong 4x4 (nissan armada) to both let my wife get into work at the hospital in a hurry during the wisconsin winter delivering babies doesnt give alot of time room for mistakes. and also i needed something that could pull my tractor. also we had found that while we like the smaller camper size the class b and the class c's were just not that friendly of floorplans.

We discovered that trailers had much more flexible floorplans and styles and for a much better price. (our pleasureway class b is 110k new, and our born free class c was 117k brand new) both very well made but far to expensive and not flexible enough for our needs we soon discovered that we could get between 4-10 travel trailers for that price (depending on quality)

We bought a new Cherokee grey wolf 19RR (the 23' grey wolf toy hauler) while it doesnt have any of the fancy carpeting or etched glass and no oven (we never used the oven in our previous rv's either just the range and microwave)

But it has all the thing we need in a camper and a GREAT floorplan, whats funny is this lil toy hauler is the same size as our small 22 foot class b was but WAY more room and comfortable. we got it with every single option cherokee has for it and all for under 17k thats 100 grand less than our last class b or last class c!

Heck despite them being the verey best in thier market they both depreciated in 1 year more than we payed for the cherokee grey wolf!

While im familiar with the rv/camping lifestylle ill probably have alot of questions about different trailering issue (ive nevertowed anything before)

i have the basics down, and have the right size for my truck i made sure i didnt get anything too large ( our trailer is about 4100lbs dry with with GVWR of 7500lbs 574 tongue weight ) my nissan armada has 9500lb towing capacity with its class 4 hitch & has the heavy duty trailering packages ( with the heavy duty tranmission cooler and set up for the trailer brakes and suspension work) also im getting a curt weight distribution hitch as well as the sway control bars for it (figured you cant be too safe and the dealer did the weight distribution hitch & sway control for 150 bucks)

Should i later look for a better weight distribution hitch like an equalizer or drawtite or are curt hitches reliable? also with rv's tier quality and thick double or triple walled tired helped alot with vehicle stability and it was dumb to cheap out on tires. but in looking around there arent a whole lot of trailer tires and most i look at arent rated for freeway speeds (altho in our rv's we always stayed between 55-60 and just let impatient people pass us) what is looked for in a good trailer tire and who would y'all recomend for good quality trailer tire brand (not worried about the cost)

Thank y'all for your help

Covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
to the forums. While I can't help you with your trailer related questions, I'm sure that you will find many here who can help you. Again, just wanted to welcome you to FRF.

Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
Welcome to the forum!
I personally love my Equalizer. It does a great job of providing a smooth ride and little to no sway.
While your Armada has a high tow rating, it is an SUV so I would expect more bounce from the rear end that I would from a truck. Don't overload the back row and storage area either.

Your wheel base is also some thing that will impact the wag of a heavy trailer.

Have fun!
buckeyefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
x3! You can find many threads on towing and hitches in the Towing, Hitches & Toads - Forest River Forums section. Hope you enjoy the switch to a Travel Trailer!

John & Nicole
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0L 4x4
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new purchase. One of the things we really like about a trailer is the fact that we can just unhook our tow vehicle and take off for day trips, etc. As far as hitches, I haven't tried the Hensley, Reese, or most of the others so my overall experience with all the manufactures of these type of hitches is somewhat limited, but we use the Equal-i-zer hitch and it has performed flawlessly for us. It can be a little noisy, but that is by design, anyway I would highly recommend it.
2012 Ford F250 Lariat FX4
2012 LaCrosse 318BHS w/4 Point Equal-i-zer Hitch
2 Wilderness Systems Kayaks
Nights Spent Camping in 2011 (19), 2012 (16)
HondoPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #6
Welcome..congrats. I prefer Good Year Marathon Radial Trailer Tires...I use them on my boat trailer and them on our previous TT. Carlisle makes a decent radial for trailering too.

Bob, Tonya and the kids
11 Rockwood Roo 233S
08 Grady White Seafarer 228
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote