Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #1

New here

Hi everyone,I'm new to the forum,and my wife and I are buying a new trailer next spring. We are seriously considering the Rockwood Windjammer 3008w. We are also thinking about the Coachman Freedom Express 302FKV. Both are v- fronts and identical floor plans. The only thing is the Freedom Express is $3600.00 more. The salesman at the dealership is saying its due to the better construction.
Can anybody offer some advice on this? Does the Rockwood have aluminum studs in the walls?
Wish I knew what to do!!!! I need help with this.

Bruce
Bruce white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #2

Can't speak about the Coachman but we just completed our second season in the Windjammer 3008W. The wife and I both love the trailer and have been very pleased with the quality of the unit. I don't know if it has aluminum studs or not. Looking at the spec sheet of the Coachman it looks like it weighs a couple of hundred pounds less than the Jammer.

I think you will find the Windjammer owners here have been very pleased with their trailers. Have you been checking out other Coachman owners? Does the salesman that you have been speaking with sell both brands? If he only sells the Coachman, he will tell you it's the best. Try to get as much consumer feedback as you can. I'm partial but I vote for the Windjammer.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #3

Welcome Bruce,
Plenty of Windjammer 3008 owners here that just love their trailers. Yes, the Jammers have aluminum studs. Looking at the specs on the Coachman the weights and measures are fairly close except the Carrying Capacity which is much higher on the Coachman (maybe higher rated axles or frame?). That unit also appears to have the spread tires, not sure how much effect that has. Have you walked thru both units to see fit and finish? Ask the dealer for a spec sheet on both to compare. The Coachman Vnose is new so not many owners that we have heard from yet. Should be more responses from the Jammer family here.

(OH - Old Car jumped in there just as I knew he would!)

Old 10-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #4

Just noticed the Coachman has ST275/75R15D tires. Our Jammers came with C rate tires that Old Car and I both blew out this summer!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #5

As Rebel pointed out, C rated tires are light duty. If you decide on the Windjammer--make the dealer put on at least D rated. It doesn't cost them that much. I bet they'll do it before losing a deal.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 10-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
Don't Camp Enough

Welcome Bruce.
Our 3008W is the third Rockwood we have owned since 2002. Like Old car said, we love the trailer and have been very pleased with the quality of the unit.
Something else to consider. Things break and stuff happens, and I have always had a positive experience dealing with the factory and dealer.

PS Do you know how much camping you can do on $3600!?

DSMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #7

Hey Bruce, I got on my soapbox and forgot my manners--Welcome to the forum!

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 10-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
Site Team

Hello and to the forums! Looks like you are off to a good start with the feedback. Good luck.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote