Old 01-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #1
New here, hello everyone

This coming season will be my second season as a travel trailer owner. Last year was experimental and I think my wife and I enjoyed it and see the potential to camp more and more. I have a 2011 KZ Spree 261RKS. I pulled it with a 2011 Titan SV 4x4 and found it was a little sluggish on inclines. I am in the process of trading that in and was about to make a deal on a 2014 Suburban when someone asked me what the rear axle ratio was. I had no idea what that meant. This is still all new to me, so I am excited about this forum and learning from experienced campers. Turns out the ratio is 3.08 and many discussion threads online indicated that it wouldn't suffice. So, I'm not sure what to do. This deal has been in the works for a few weeks and the salesman had this truck picked up from out of state for me. Anyway, I look forward to sharing experiences with this community. Hopefully I can make an informed and positive decision about the truck.

Ednier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #2
Welcome to the forum, you should be fine with the 3.08 in a Chevy Suburban if it is coming with a tow package, however I like the 3.73 it's good all around.

darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #3
It has the 7 pin connector and the 2" receiver. I guess that's the tow package. I found that there is something called a heavy duty tow package available on some models, but not this one. Very confusing. Of course the dealer says, "oh this truck can pull a house".
Old 01-11-2014, 06:59 AM   #4
You should be fine with the 3.08. That trailer is not very heavy and the suburban will do fine.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #5
Ednier welcome, As a 6 year veteran to camping in a travel trailer I would like to give you some advise. I have owned 2 trailers and the lastest one is bigger that the past. As you will see, your needs will change and the next trailer will be bigger for many reasons. Witch brings me to your thread. I can tell you that the most important thing about camping is getting there safe. I will recommend that you investigate all the options on the new Chevy Suburban you are looking at and make sure is has all of the heavy duty towing equipment you can get. The Suburban makes a great towing vehicle with the right equipment or it can be a nightmare. I towed my last trailer with a chevy custom conversion van and it did OK just like your current vehicle but when you got to the hills it was a little slow. I would make sure the rear axle ratio is between 3.40 and 3.73 or higher. The higher the number the better that suburban will pull a hill and maintain speeds. Which places less stress and strain on the vehicle and you, who is trying to control the rig. the vehicle should have a trailer brake control already installed from the factory, heavy duty cooling system,oil coolers,transmission coolers, LT tires instead of passenger tires. It might have bigger outside mirrors also. Do yourself a favor and review the treads in the towing vehicle and equipment section of this forum, it is full of valuable information. Im sure you can locate or order a new suburban to tow your trailer for many years to come, just make sure you have all the right equipment t make it safe.

Sent from my XT1080 using Forest River Forums mobile app
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
Originally Posted by Ednier View Post
It has the 7 pin connector and the 2" receiver. I guess that's the tow package. I found that there is something called a heavy duty tow package available on some models, but not this one. Very confusing. Of course the dealer says, "oh this truck can pull a house".
Are you perchance down wind of a feedlot?

If you have not signed anything you can walk, if you have even the smallest doubt about the rig you should.
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:51 AM   #7
As luck would have it, the sales man is not a very good source of information for what it can pull. My Ford dealer sent a guy from Nebraska to Ohio to get the exact truck I wanted at no extra charge. That was for the 3.73. I only went with the 3.73 because I thought there might be a chance I'd upgrade in a few years. I hope to keep this truck for at least 10 years.
2012 Ford F-150 EB 3.73
2015 Forest River 25RR
2004 Honda GL1800
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
Moderators' Assistant
welcome to FRF!!!

just so you know, your KZ Spree is not a Forest River product. almost all here own FR products but we welcome everyone. it's just that any info needed that's specific to your trailer or KZ products, will probably not be available here.

BUT all RV's have similar systems, no matter what brand, so there'll be lots of helpful people here for general questions and info.

on your tow vehicle choice, i'm surprised no one had mentioned the SUV's Achilles Heel.
low payload capacities and soft suspensions.

since you don't have much knowledge when it comes to tow vehicles, it's very important that you don't make a rash purchase, without getting educated on the important things.
towing capacity is just one of the important things.

you really need to get the Burb's payload capacity and post your trailer's specs.
i'm guessing that with passengers, cargo and a WDH, the Burb won't have much left over for hitch weight.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #9
I just got caught up with all of the replies. Still learning this forum navigation. Thanks all on your feedback. I've asked the dealer to check on the cost and possibility of upgrading to 3.42 ratio and adding the heavy duty trailering package. I will know on Monday and if that's not an option, I will continue to shop. Now that I know why the ratio and other things are so important. Thanks again.Rich
Old 01-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #10
Welcome aboard

RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote