Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #1

New here, not sure how to ask a question

Hi, we are new RVers and will be living in our RV most of the time, with an occasional outing here and there.

We just got the RV delivered and can't seem to figure out the water heater, but I also cannot seem to nagivate this forum site. Sigh. So frustrated.

anyway, I will go ahead and ask here and hope that somehow if someone responds I might be able to figure out how to read the response.

The water heater is hooked up to electric at an RV park. There is a switch outside (by the water heater itself) and we have put it to "On." However, there must be another switch inside or something because at present there is no hot water. Double Sigh.

The dealership (it was a used RV) said it "might" be in the "tank module" on the wall in the kitchen (where you check your tank levels). Is this true?

It is a 2008 Forest River Sierra. Ugh.
DEKDSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. Not sure about the navigation issues - for sure its easier to navigate the site on a pc, but there are multiple ways to find the threads/forums you are interested in.

As for the water heater - there is a breaker in the panel, so make sure that is on. And the other thing to check is if the wh is bypassed. When its winterized the inlet and outlet valves are closed and a bypass valve is opened to let the antifreeze run through all the lines without having to fill the water heater. Those valves are usually on the back side of the water heater. And if that is the case - turning the electric element on with an empty water heater will fry the element.

You should also have a switch inside on your switch panel. That would run the water heater on propane. Give that a try after you make sure you have water flowing through the water heater. If the electice element is bad, the propane should work.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
Site Team

Check your fusebox/power center. There should be a circuit breaker for
the water heater. Note-- I said circuit breaker not fuse. Fuses are 12v
devices and circuit breakers are 120v AC devices.

Also, my water heater is plugged into an outlet found at the rear of
the water heater, above the water heater tank.
IF you have this- check the outlet with something. IE use a meter or
plug something into the outlet to test it and see if it's ON.
Radio, clock, cell charger etc.... make sure the outlet is ON.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEKDSK View Post
Hi, we are new RVers and will be living in our RV most of the time, with an occasional outing here and there.

We just got the RV delivered and can't seem to figure out the water heater, but I also cannot seem to nagivate this forum site. Sigh. So frustrated.

anyway, I will go ahead and ask here and hope that somehow if someone responds I might be able to figure out how to read the response.

The water heater is hooked up to electric at an RV park. There is a switch outside (by the water heater itself) and we have put it to "On." However, there must be another switch inside or something because at present there is no hot water. Double Sigh.

The dealership (it was a used RV) said it "might" be in the "tank module" on the wall in the kitchen (where you check your tank levels). Is this true?

It is a 2008 Forest River Sierra. Ugh.
Howdy, and welcome to the forums. If you have a Suburban brand water heater this FAQ may help in it's understanding.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

I would follow the advice of the previous posters in your troubleshooting, and there is also a possibility that the electric heating element is bad/burned up........as also explained in the FAQ link above.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #5

Thank you both so much. I will look tonight when I get off of work. I still can't figure out how to post within the forums, so I guess I will just keep using the Welcome Mat, I guess.

At least someone responded. I'll let you know what I find. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome! Good advice above about your water heater.

See below for how to navigate the forums...

Quote:
Thank you both so much. I will look tonight when I get off of work. I still can't figure out how to post within the forums, so I guess I will just keep using the Welcome Mat, I guess.
Please don't post your RV specific questions in the welcome Mat as you go forward, but instead, use the appropriate subforums. If you are on Forest River Forums through a browser (Not the phone app), it goes like this ...

• Make sure you are logged in.
  • Click on the "forums" tab at the top of the page.

Name:   Capture2.JPG
Views: 400
Size:  26.8 KB
  • You will see a list of subforum/topic areas. (You may have to click on the double down arrow to see all of the subforums in that category.)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	53569
  • Click on the subforum that best suits your intended post. Once it opens you will see a list of threads already in that subforum. At the top of the list, over toward the left, you will see a "new thread" button.
  • Click on the new thread button and follow the prompts.
Let any of the site team (mods and admin) know if you have a question, or feel free to post that question and our members can also help.

Take care and good to have you aboard.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #7
Site Team

The majority of the time, the only switch inside the RV on the Suburban brand water heaters, control only the DSI/propane side of the heater.

You will be looking for a switch similar to these. They can be other colors beside white:

However, they do make a dual switch assembly that can be inside some RV's that control both the 12 volt DSI/propane AND the 120 volt electric heating element. This situation is not as common as though. They may look similar to these:

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #8

I must have a cheap RV because I don't have any panels like the ones pictured above. I only have a little panel by the fridge that is supposedly for checking tank levels and a fuse box by the front door. The only switch on the wall is for opening the slides. There are no other switches or panels.

As far as continuing to post here, I do apologize; however, I have tried to post within the correct forums, but don't seem to have the "Start Thread" or "New Thread" button. I have submitted a request to a moderator that appeared to be online, and hope to get some help.

I really am sorry to not be "going by the rules" as I am not attempting to tick anyone off. I just want to figure out how to get hot water. :-) Again, sorry.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
As far as continuing to post here, I do apologize; however, I have tried to post within the correct forums, but don't seem to have the "Start Thread" or "New Thread" button. I have submitted a request to a moderator that appeared to be online, and hope to get some help.

I really am sorry to not be "going by the rules" as I am not attempting to tick anyone off. I just want to figure out how to get hot water. :-) Again, sorry.
Its no problem. Sounds like there is a browser issue here and we'll help you to get it sorted out.

One question is, how did you start this thread without the New Thread button? Is it just that, in your browser, the button is in this forum but not those other ones?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	53579  

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #10
Site Team

What exact model # Sierra RV do you have? We can probably get you some detailed advice from other members with the exact same RV.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/Sierra/default.aspx

Old 05-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
I must have a cheap RV because I don't have any panels like the ones pictured above. I only have a little panel by the fridge that is supposedly for checking tank levels and a fuse box by the front door. The only switch on the wall is for opening the slides. There are no other switches or panels.

I don't have any panels like those in the pictures either so you are in good company.

If you are using a mobile device it would be helpful to know which one.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #12
Site Team

You certainly are not ticking anyone off. This can all be cleaned up after we get your situation resolved.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
Site Team

While others are helping with your water heater issue, I'll post some tips here on how to use the forum with an Android Smartphone.

First, tap the three little bars in the extreme top left of your screen on the forum home page. It will open the forum access points.

Then tap on "FORUMS"

Name:	IMG_20140529_082650.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	53655

Next, tap on "Forest River Tech Talk"

Name:	IMG_20140529_082743.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	53658

Next, tap on "General Tech and Repair"

Name:	IMG_20140529_082821.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	53659

Next, tap on "Plumbing and Water Systems &Fixtures"

Name:	IMG_20140529_082923.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	53660

This takes you to threads about all the water and plumbing in an RV.
You can start your own thread by tapping the pecil at the top of the screen.

Name:	IMG_20140529_083044.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	53661

I hope this helps you learn your way around the forum. Take some time when you can to navigate around through the diferent options in the various list. The information here is invaluable as it deals with rv and camping issues.

The steps I've listed will be simlilar on Iphone and computer.

Don't be shy about asking for help. The forum was created with that in mind.
Again, welcome to our little campfire.
David

Old 10-08-2015, 07:35 AM   #14

help

How do you ask a question, I don't see anything taht helps.
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:26 PM   #15
Site Team

Tap the pencil/ pen icon (see last pic above) which indicates you want to write. Start a new thread with your question.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:54 PM   #16

Since the RV is pre-owned it may have a bad heating element. Check for resistance with a VOM. If it is bad you can get a replacement at the local home supply big box or ACE hardware, just make sure you get the correct length element. It is assumed you had water in the tank before you turned it on. If not, it is guaranteed you have a bad heating element.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Tap the pencil/ pen icon (see last pic above) which indicates you want to write. Start a new thread with your question.

If you don't see a pencil, such as when using an iPad, look for three dots in the upper right corner. Touch the dots, and then touch "start new topic". Your new question is a new topic.