Old 06-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
TAS

new here w/ a couple of q's

Hey there! Whay didn't I find this site when I first had my TT? lol Man, I had ALL kinda of questions I could have asked.

I've got an 01 8298s that we're replacing and I need some advice. I found a soft spot right by the couner of the tub and another around the AC. I tightened the AC mounts but I thing some damage has been done. Is there a repair option around that opening w/out ripping the whole roof off? I'm really not trying to rebuild the thing so I can sell it but, I don't want to seel someone a "problem child" either.

The roof line above the sofa slide look to me like it dips down and the frame might not be structuraly sound. Has this been an issue for anyone else or am I into something that can't be fixed?

I don't know if this is a case where I need to part the thing out or try to fix. I know @ 4200 for a new rubber roof, that and other repairs will quickly cost more than the camper's worth.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Todd,

First off let me welcome you to the Forum. We do try very hard to give positive and friendly advice. We are not (except in a few cases) subject matter experts; just a bunch of guys and gals who love camping and want to share our love for creature comforts and tips for dealing with the inevitable hazards of the road life.

I am sure you are well aware that water damage is the greatest non-accident related hazard our campers face. Other than a tree falling on it there is not much else that will total a camper that does not involve motor vehicle insurance.

I am sure it has been harped that observation and prevention is your only defense against this dreaded killer of RVs. When looking for water leaks you need to start from the top down. Water can run for many feet looking for an opening to get into your rig. Where you see it inside may not be where the water is getting in. It can travel in wire races, air ducts, under the rubber roof until it finds a way in to drip, drip, drip.

There are several threads here about water leaks at the air conditioner seals (I will include my version and some photos).

I walk the roof after EVERY camping trip looking for tears and wear (even though I just Eterna-bonded the roof. Lucky I did because I must have snagged a branch driving to the Pocono campsite last weekend as I found two very small tears in the rubber roof on the edge. Never felt anything.
An Eterna-bond patch fixed them in a matter of minutes, but if I had not found them, a couple of downpours would have delaminated my roof and walls for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Torque Tabs.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	6583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Torque Tabs 2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	6584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Torque Tabs 3.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	6585  
Attached Files
File Type: docx Roof Air Conditioner Water Leaks.docx (105.0 KB, 8 views)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
TAS

Thanks Lou! The Rock was my first TT and I did NOT stay on top of as I should have. I'm on top of the TH every chance I get now. Every time I walk by it, I'm looking it over. lol Leson learned for sure!

Now I've got to find a way to fix the Rock up so I can sell it w/out taking a complete bath w/ it.

Eternabond is a must have in the RV box for now on. Along w/ duct tape, silicone and anything I can think of that will seal something up in a jiffy.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

One of our members just did a major delamination repair. I will try to find the thread for you. If anyone has the "clue" about how to do it; he does.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...elp-13903.html

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote