Old 03-24-2015, 03:25 AM   #1
New(ish) Travel Trailer Campers

Hello. My wife & kids are not new to camping (me B.S.A., wife since we were married, kids, when they arrived), but we are new to travel trailer camping. Made the big purchase in May 2014. We own a 2014/15 Cherokee Greywolf 26dbh - and love it. My wife calls it her cardboard cabin or her vacation dream home alternatively. We loved camping in it last summer & fall & early winter. But, alas, live and learn. We have 3 water repairs after not being an expert winterizer and I would appreciate any advice on repairs. They are 1. Kitchen sink faucet. The thing held a lot of water even after airblowing the water lines. This is probably a repair from Westlakes or Lowes as the only unique thing about the faucet is it is plastic. 2. The water valve at the bottom of the Dometic toilet (I read that may be a common issue). 3. The water tank drain valve (which is weird because I was sure it was bone dry). Anyway, the hassle is trying to find the replacement parts online. I am pretty sure I can do the repairs, but finding the parts is proving to be challenging. As we are an hour away from our dealer, I welcome any advice you have on where to buy these parts online. And, we are glad to be forum members.

Sunflower6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:46 AM   #2
Good morning Sunflower6! Sorry about the live-and-learn lessons... The key to freshwater winterizing by blow-out only is to leave all faucets, low end drains, and tank drain valves open afterwards. If you are concerned with insects or spiders climbing into the drains, a few swatches of old T-shirt tied over them works perfectly.

You can replace the kitchen faucet with any residential model that will fit the bill for you and your application. In fact, many of us just switch to residential faucets anyway.

For the toilet, if you indeed have a Dometic 3xx-series, just Google "dometic toilet valve" and take you pick of on-line sellers from Amazon to eBay and just about every RV parts website. You can also purchase them in just about any RV dealer with parts and Camping World carries them on the shelf

Same goes for the tank drain valve. It's likely a Flair-It model so check out the pictures to confirm.

geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
I was just blowing out my trailer for a few years until enough water was left in water pump to crack it, expensive lesson. Now I winterize with the RV antifreeze, takes more effort in spring to flush out but less worries.
2015 Wildwood X-Lite 271RBXL
2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:27 PM   #4
Thanks geotex1 & Mowgli64. The water pump was my next concern thinking about next winter and I'm really grateful I didn't kill it this year. Apparently, flushing with the RV antifreeze is the safest way. I was just somewhat wary about it being in the water lines. I already bought a water pump bypass kit for the antifreeze. Mowgli64, do you run a full fresh water tank through the lines to clean them in them in the spring?
Sunflower6 is offline   Reply With Quote

camper, trailer, travel, travel trailer