Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #1

New Lookin for help

My wife and I are making are first RV purchase with in the next week or so. We have narrowed it down to a Forest River Sand Storm or Shock Wave. One of our main concerns is our max tow weight is 7700 with a 2007 Chevy Siverado Classic. How close can i get to this? And one more question how aggressive should we be with pricing. Obviously we want the best deal so how much can we push in today's market.
HintonTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #2

If you keep the trailers GVWR (max loaded trailer weight) under your towing capacity, you should be OK.
You'll also need to watch you tongue weight which should fall between 10% to 15% of your loaded trailer weght. Subtract what your tow vehicle actually weighs from it's GVWR (usually found on the sticker located on the drivers side door jam) to see what your payload is. Subtract all the weight being loaded in the truck, gas, people, cargo, hitch itself and what is left will be your tongue weight capacity.
You'll also need to check your GCWR (loaded trailer plus loaded vehcle weight).
As far as pricing, shoot for less than 75% of the trailers MSRP.

Welcome to the forum and good luck. There will be others on here that can help as well. Don't be in too big of a hurry and consider everyone's advice.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
RV Newbie

I'm not towing a TT, but I have heard that you want to have a reserve on the GVMR of some number, like 10% or so. Where you live and where you'll travel factor in, if you will see mountains a lot you might want to go lighter.

I think I had seen that here, http://www.davidsrvtips.blogspot.com/ but I cannot locate the exact statement...
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
Site Team

get prices from RVWholesalers or RVDirect and use those to shop.
if you can get a West Coast dealer to come close to those prices, then you've done good.

a word of warning. every West Coast dealer we dealt with, laughed at us and told us that if we wanted that kind of price, then we should drive there to get it.

so, we did and saved over $4000 on a $20k MSRP HTT. the cheapest NorCal dealer's price was over $4000 more and they refused to budge.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote