Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
g26

New - Looking for general help

Hello Everyone. I'm really green at the RV thing. My wife and I have been looking for a couple of years and now starting to get serious. I'll have tons of questions. We're looking at the Surveyor 235 RKS and really like it so have been looking for new and used deals. Probably spend most of our time doing dog shows.

If we go new, I'd be curious what the opinions are as to warrenty or service plans. Although we want to buy a better tow, we have a Lexas GX 470. Also, curious about clubs like "Good Sam". Any new general advice would be great. We're still looking at this stage.

Thanks from Kansas......
g26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by g26 View Post
Hello Everyone. I'm really green at the RV thing. My wife and I have been looking for a couple of years and now starting to get serious. I'll have tons of questions. We're looking at the Surveyor 235 RKS and really like it so have been looking for new and used deals. Probably spend most of our time doing dog shows.

If we go new, I'd be curious what the opinions are as to warrenton or service plans. Although we want to buy a better tow, we have a Lexus GX 470. Also, curious about clubs like "Good Sam". Any new general advice would be great. We're still looking at this stage.

Thanks from Kansas......
Well first off : to FRF. This is a great forum for advise, the members here are very knowledegable and are willing to help. I have been camping for about 9 years now and I am still learning and some of the issues I have had have been cleared by the members of this forum. Ask all the question you what and you will get good feed back, by the way what kind of dogs do you show?
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
Site Team

Welcome,
If it's a new unit FR offers a second year factory warranty. In my opinion it's worth the cost to get that one. As for the "extended warranty's" (which are really insurance policies) read them carefully because they contain lots of exclusions. Then, if they make sense for you go for it. IMHO they're not worth what they cost.

We belonged to GS (Good Sam) once but since we camp on government land (state, local, federal parks) we never got to use it but a couple of times so it wasn't worth it to us. If you camp in places that accept it then it may be worth it to you, Also check out Passport America they seem to be the best deal out there.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by g26 View Post
.......Although we want to buy a better tow, we have a Lexas GX 470.........
An article I read in the past concerning towing by an idependant RV safety research group recomended that a trailer should not be longer than 1.5 times the wheelbase of the tow vehicle for tow behinds. 5th wheel trailers shouldn't be longer than 2 times the wheelbase of the tow vehicle. Most people only inquire about engine size and towing ability but they don't think about the size of the brakes or handling. Wheelbase of has everything to do with safety and handling and needs to be seriously considered. Personally I have never considered an SUV to be a good tow vehicle for lots of towing as thier suspensions are set up for a nice soft cushy ride not for towing safety.

Hopefully others here can lend some good personal experiece with towing to you.

Have fun with your new trailer.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
An article I read in the past concerning towing by an idependant RV safety research group recomended that a trailer should not be longer than 1.5 times the wheelbase of the tow vehicle for tow behinds. 5th wheel trailers shouldn't be longer than 2 times the wheelbase of the tow vehicle.
Those are some really conservative figures. If that were the case then my F150 Super Cab with a 145" wheelbase should only pull an 18 footer. Granted, a shorter trailer would probably be better, but what in the world would you need to pull just a 24 footer....something with a 192" wheelbase??? The longest crew cab, 8' bed trucks are only around 170" wheelbase or so.

I think the chart on this site is a good starting point: http://www.rvtowingtips.com/how-long.htm

There are also a lot of other information besides towing length on that website.

Quote:
Most people only inquire about engine size and towing ability but they don't think about the size of the brakes or handling. Wheelbase of has everything to do with safety and handling and needs to be seriously considered.
Agreed.

Quote:
Personally I have never considered an SUV to be a good tow vehicle for lots of towing as thier suspensions are set up for a nice soft cushy ride not for towing safety.
For the most part I think this is true, but there are some SUVs out there that are built to handle the loads. Long wheelbases, full frames, heavy duty towing packages, and heavier springs should work, and there are even 3/4 ton equivalent SUVs (Burb 2500s and the Excursions) that should be good tow vehicles, although they do tend to have shorter wheelbases than trucks.

Quote:
Hopefully others here can lend some good personal experiece with towing to you.

Have fun with your new trailer.
Agree again.
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
g26

Getting Started

Thanks everyone for you comments and advise. I'll be doing a lot more reading than asking as I try to educate myself but sure seems like I can get some answers to questions.

BTW Someone asked - We show Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Great dogs .... lots of fun in a small package.
g26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
Grape Escape

We pulled a 29' Rockwood with no problems whatsoever with a Chev Tahoe. Conservative, defensive driving and a good hitch setup is the key.
I don't understand when people mention tow vehicle brakes having alot to do with the trailer. The trailer brakes are what stop the trailer. Sure the truck has heavy enough brakes for the loaded truck braking ability. IMHO
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #8

I agree, the cart is something to look at but on the other hand as mention a good hitch system and a and a reasonable wheel base will work for towing a trailer safely. My 97 GMC Surburban as 130" wheel base so according to the cart I should not be towing a 34' trailer and now that I have a new pick up It has a 143" wheel base the cart tells me that I still should not be towing a 34' footer. At this point maybe the weights of the trailer and the weight rating of the Tow vehicle is the next step. But I would not tow a 34' trailer with a Chevy Trail Blazer, that"s crazy.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote