Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #1

New member and just wanted to create account to research if I can find my answer. My electrical roof lift is not working to close back up. Manual doesn't say anything about electrical roofs only crank ups.
slnigro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum. Someone will probably be along shortly to help you out. Your make/model/year in your post, and any other info, would help out in determining your issues.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slnigro View Post
New member and just wanted to create account to research if I can find my answer. My electrical roof lift is not working to close back up. Manual doesn't say anything about electrical roofs only crank ups.
Welcome to the Forums! There are bunches of folks that can probably help - in order to set you up for success, can you reply back with the year, make, & model number of your RV? Any symptoms or other information about your problem would be helpful too!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
it's generally a good idea to post type/year/make/model of RV you have, in order to get info/assistance.

sounds like you might have a popup/tent trailer, since you mention a roof lift.
but some truck campers also have this feature.

if it is a popup, you might want to start in the Tent Camper/Popup section here at FRF.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #5

electrical roof won't close

I own a 2012 Rockwood Freedom Pop-up trailer, model 2318G.

Came home after camping, lifted it up for cleaning, now it won't retrack back down. It's electrical, we switched the possible fuses. we don't think it's the battery as other electrical things are working. We can't even find the location to crank it down manually. Manual isn't really specific and a call to the dealer didn't help much without them being able to see it ????

HELP
Old 12-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #6

thanks, I will do that! I'm new to all of this
Old 12-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #7

Welcome from Dawsonville, Georgia! Is there some kind of locking mechanism that ensures that it doesn't drop and takes the load off the motor that needs to be released before bringing it down? Also, can you bump it up a little more and then try taking it down?
2017 Ford F350 PSD
GlenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #8

No locking mechanism that I know of, only metal slats that cover railing just in case roof gives way. Can't bump up, it's completely dead. We manually retracted it down, which does take a long time....thanks for asking!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #9

Quote:
No locking mechanism that I know of, only metal slats that cover railing just in case roof gives way. Can't bump up, it's completely dead. We manually retracted it down, which does take a long time....thanks for asking!
Not sure if you have a multi-meter, but they are almost essential when you have a camper. For $15 or $20 at Sears, Lowes, etc its a worthwhile investment. The next thing to check since you have battery power would be to see if you have 12 volts at the motor by checking across the screws/terminals where the wires come in while a helper tries to operate it. Could be a problem with the motor or even the button. If you were able to manually crank it down, it doesn't seem like a mechanical issue.

Also - after you got it down manually, did you try to see if the motor would run it back up? Might provide another clue...

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post

Not sure if you have a multi-meter, but they are almost essential when you have a camper. For $15 or $20 at Sears, Lowes, etc its a worthwhile investment. The next thing to check since you have battery power would be to see if you have 12 volts at the motor by checking across the screws/terminals where the wires come in while a helper tries to operate it. Could be a problem with the motor or even the button. If you were able to manually crank it down, it doesn't seem like a mechanical issue.

Also - after you got it down manually, did you try to see if the motor would run it back up? Might provide another clue...
X2
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote