Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #1

Hi, My name is Pam and I am a new member to the Forest River Forum. My husband and I are thinking about buying a Coachmen Clipper 17FQ. We took a ride out to Thurmont, MD today to see one. We need to find a ultra lite trailer that we can tow with our 2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i. The maximum tow rate is 3,500 lbs. We are new to this type of camping. Any comments would be appreciated.
martinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums! I think the Coachman Clipper 17FQ might just be pushing it for your tv.

Check out the Tab Little Guy Worldwide TAB Travel Trailers | TAB RV for Sale | Maryland (MD), Pennsylvania (PA), Virginia (VA)

or the R-Pod New 2015 Forest River RV R Pod RP 178 Travel Trailers at Stoltzfus RV's Adamstown Pennsylvania Stoltzfus RV's

I'm sure others with more knowledge will weigh in with their thoughts.
Blubear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
Site Team

that trailer will definitely be at the limits of your BMW!

if you're comfortable pulling something at your vehicle's max, then you might be ok.

personally, i would only tow this combo, if i lived in Florida or some other flat land area.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:08 AM   #4
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!

When I first started looking at RVs I quickly learned to discard the dry weight number in regards to towing. There is stuff added to the trailer like equipment, food, supplies, clothes, water, etc. which is not included in the dry weight number.

It can be helpful to read previous posts about towing and even trailer combos to learn more. A forum will have lots of viewpoints but they can offer valuable information too.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote