Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2014, 06:01 PM   #1

New member from Gaithersburg, MD

Hi to all,
My name is Pam and I found this site a few months ago when my husband, Scott, and I were looking for a trailer that would match our TV which was a 2014 BMW X3 with a 3,500 lb. max towing rating. Since then, we decided to trade that vechicle in for a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with a tow rating of 7,200 lbs. and a hitch rating of 720. This should allow us more wiggle room as far as finding a trailer to fit our needs. Currently, we are interested in the Forest River Rockwook Ultra Lite trailers. Especially, the 2905SS and the 2702SS. Is there anyone who can share their opinions about these trailers. Any comment would be appreciated.
martinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Pam and welcome to the forums!

If you don't get much feedback try posting your question in the towing forums where it could get more attention. Often sales staff will use dry weight numbers because that number is lower than the actual weight you will be towing. I almost got sucked in with using a dry weight number for towing but was able to avoid being over the limit of my TV tow rating. There are lots of factors to consider but I will let the more experienced members address this.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
New to Forest River

Hello Pam, welcome.

You will either need to look at a smaller trailer or a bigger TV. Google Trailer Towing Guide. There is a great resource from Trailer Life that will help you determine your TV limits.

Ron

Grey Nomads, Ron and Sue
Old 09-02-2014, 06:21 PM   #4

Welcome! After much research we narrowed our RV search to the Rockwood (2905 SS floorplan) and a Surveyor 294 since we wanted to upgrade to a TT with dual bunks. Our last TT had a single bunk (Passport 280, nearly identical to the 2702 SS). I was very impressed with the overall quality, workmanship, and features which the Rockwood SS and Surveyor offered. The 2905 SS also offers a pantry and wider slideout. We ultimately decided to go with the Surveyor due to an extremely great deal.

The 2905 SS apprears to have a dry hitch weight of around 795 lbs which will be over your stated Jeep's hitch weight capacity. Figure on adding between 1000 - 1500 lbs to the overall dry weight and 100 - 150 lbs to the hitch weight after loading your items and including the battery, propane, water, etc. Don't let the RV dealer talk you into a TT which you know may be pushing or exceeding your tow vehicle's limits.

Fortunately you are in an area where there are quite a few RV dealers within a 70 mile radius. Also the Hershey RV show and the Timonium RV show are this month.

Happy shopping!

2010 Surveyor 294
2006 Ford E-350 Van 5.4
surv294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roving Ron View Post
Hello Pam, welcome.

You will either need to look at a smaller trailer or a bigger TV. Google Trailer Towing Guide. There is a great resource from Trailer Life that will help you determine your TV limits.

Ron

Grey Nomads, Ron and Sue
X2!!!!!

To kinda paraphrase Chief Brody from "JAWS", "You're going to need a bigger tow vehicle!"

We pulled a '08 Rockwood Roo 23SS with a '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee rated at 6500#. I would NOT have wanted a smaller TV nor would I have wanted a larger trailer. Your GC only has 700# more capacity, which I don't think is enough for what you are considering.
We now have the twin to the Rockwood 2702SS - a Flagstaff 27BESS with a Nissan Armada as a tow vehicle and couldn't be happier. What a difference!

PM me if you need more info.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #6
DW's 401(k) Plan

And BTW...... WELCOME from the SANE part of the state!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote