Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #1

Post New Member from Houston, Texas

Howdy all!

Just came to terms with a seller and doing the paperwork tomorrow to purchase our first RV - 2014 Wildwood X-Lite 261BHXL.

It was owned by some guy on Craigslist who bought it in April 2014 and they have a new baby. Thus, he says they can't justify monthly payments financing it and the $120/month RV storage so they decided to sell. It has everything added on such as all electric jacks/hitch and other upgrades. We negotiated to $12,750 and think it's a great deal for us as he's upside down, obviously. Sorry for him, but looking out for us. And, yes, I had my dad come with me to help check it out and let me know of problems and whether worth the money. He couldn't find a thing and it's been stored under a roof. He thinks it was a solid buy. He's been around the block with RV'ing as I'll describe in the next paragraph.

I grew up camping, then my folks graduated to a Starcraft Popup, then to a 26' Tioga motor home and then finally a 30' 5th wheel. Thus, I've been exposed to this way of vacationing.

However, I've never owned anything beyond a tent myself and find myself in the awkward position of not knowing what I'm doing. Now, the guy says he'll show me how to do what I need, and I hope he allows me to pick his brain long enough. Plus, I can default to my dad to help me just based on his experience.

But, I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on how I can go about getting hands-on education to further my knowledge on this trailer and RV'ing? Are there classes in Southeast Texas? Or other thoughts on how to learn for this particular model?

Next up, I'm buying a 2015 Ram 1500 crew cab 4x4 V8 this weekend. I know it's a little more than what I need for this, but if we upgrade in the future, I'd like to be ready as it is rated for 10,050 Lbs towing. I don't know if it makes sense to get "too much" truck but seems to me the more power it has to pull above the capacity, the less the wear and tear? Or is that just circular logic?

Thanks, and look forward to bantering!
donhillphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:12 AM   #2

Welcome from Arlington, Tx.
Have fun.
MKClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:28 AM   #3

Welcome from Madison, AL. Congratulations on the new Wildwood, Happy Camping and

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:06 AM   #4

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your 2014 Wildwood X-Lite 261BHXL.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:37 AM   #5

Howdy from Seguin!

I've never heard of any classes. Ask a bazillion questions from the previous owner. The rest is just sorta learn as you go.

Good luck and have fun!

2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4
2017 Heritage Glen QBUD312
Zhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:16 AM   #6

First off, welcome to the forums and the RV lifestyle from Huntsville, AL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhillphoto View Post
Howdy all!

Just came to terms with a seller and doing the paperwork tomorrow to purchase our first RV - 2014 Wildwood X-Lite 261BHXL.

It was owned by some guy on Craigslist who bought it in April 2014 and they have a new baby. Thus, he says they can't justify monthly payments financing it and the $120/month RV storage so they decided to sell. It has everything added on such as all electric jacks/hitch and other upgrades. We negotiated to $12,750 and think it's a great deal for us as he's upside down, obviously. Sorry for him, but looking out for us. And, yes, I had my dad come with me to help check it out and let me know of problems and whether worth the money. He couldn't find a thing and it's been stored under a roof. He thinks it was a solid buy. He's been around the block with RV'ing as I'll describe in the next paragraph.

I grew up camping, then my folks graduated to a Starcraft Popup, then to a 26' Tioga motor home and then finally a 30' 5th wheel. Thus, I've been exposed to this way of vacationing.

However, I've never owned anything beyond a tent myself and find myself in the awkward position of not knowing what I'm doing. Now, the guy says he'll show me how to do what I need, and I hope he allows me to pick his brain long enough. Plus, I can default to my dad to help me just based on his experience.

But, I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on how I can go about getting hands-on education to further my knowledge on this trailer and RV'ing? Are there classes in Southeast Texas? Or other thoughts on how to learn for this particular model?.
Attending RV Shows and seminars is one way. Also, if you can, consider attending the FROG International Rally in Goshen IN Aug 9-15. They have daily seminars on everything from electricity to sewer!

Quote:
Next up, I'm buying a 2015 Ram 1500 crew cab 4x4 V8 this weekend. I know it's a little more than what I need for this, but if we upgrade in the future, I'd like to be ready as it is rated for 10,050 Lbs towing. I don't know if it makes sense to get "too much" truck but seems to me the more power it has to pull above the capacity, the less the wear and tear? Or is that just circular logic?

Thanks, and look forward to bantering!
LOL BOY have you opened a can of worms! This is one of the most hotly debated topics on the forums!

The general consensus is, if you are buying a new truck, buy it for your NEXT camper

Do you envision yourself going the route of your dad in a couple years and getting a 5th wheel? If so, consider investing in that 3/4 ton (or even 1 ton!) *diesel* truck now so that you will not have to trade up your truck in addition to the camper!

If you think "this is it" and you will never upgrade, then you are fine with the Ram 1500.

(Assuming the RV bug has bitten you however, you are deluded and will be trading the Ram 1500 for a 3500 Diesel Dually in 2-3 years to tow your 40' Cedar Creek )

Finally, feel free to ask questions - we are a friendly lot and enjoy helping others!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:17 AM   #7

Welcome from Round Rock, TX…previously from Columbus, TX…make sure you take that rv on the short drive from Houston to Lonestar Yogi in Waller, TX…
Soonermikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonermikel View Post
Welcome from Round Rock, TX…previously from Columbus, TX…make sure you take that rv on the short drive from Houston to Lonestar Yogi in Waller, TX…
Thanks. My wife learned about Yogi and that's going to be our second outing for the kiddos. The first will be next weekend probably in Galveston just to get my feet wet.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:10 PM   #9

Every weekend in October is Halloween…our boy LOVES it! We'll be there 1st weekend in October!
Old 05-06-2015, 01:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonermikel View Post
Every weekend in October is Halloween…our boy LOVES it! We'll be there 1st weekend in October!
I heard that. Going to try to go watch my Red Raiders beat Baylor in Jerry World that weekend. But, if it doesn't work out, perhaps we'll be there and meet up. Would love to meet fellow campers, especially ones with good college football rivalries.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:31 PM   #11

My Sooners haven't had much luck against those Bears lately…ha…good luck!!!
Old 05-06-2015, 09:49 PM   #12

Welcome from just south of you. You may want to check ESCAPEES they have a rv boot camp up in Livingston. Lots of good practical info. Lasts 3 days. If you are interested join escapees before you register. The member price offsets the membership cost.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Buzzard View Post
Welcome from just south of you. You may want to check ESCAPEES they have a rv boot camp up in Livingston. Lots of good practical info. Lasts 3 days. If you are interested join escapees before you register. The member price offsets the membership cost.
Thank you. Someone else referred me. Only negative is the boot camp isn't until mid-November. But, I will check them out. Heard good things about this group.
Follow my blog: americanbluestreak.com
Old 05-10-2015, 06:29 AM   #14

IMO I would pass on Yogi, Waller, TX. Read reviews on Trip Advisor (I read them AFTER my visit). I have been there one time & never again (site 561). The camp can't control the weather, but they have full control over the set up, drainage etc. Poor to very little drainage so there is lots of standing water & mud holes, trailers are stacked in like cord wood. Watch out for the large amount of golf carts, but kids will love the activities.
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:42 AM   #15

Quote:
I don't know if it makes sense to get "too much" truck but seems to me the more power it has to pull above the capacity, the less the wear and tear?
Welcome and Congratulations!!

"Too much truck"?? Bite your tongue! No such animal and you are very correct that it will be a lot less wear and tear on your rig when towing on the lower side of capacity.

More than likely there are places around that offer classes. I would check with your local dealers for details, but really the best you can do for yourself is to just get out there in a big ol parking lot to practice backing and such. For the inside, you might consider doing a little driveway camping to familiarize yourself with your rigs systems.

We've all been there so don't hesitate to ask questions. Some good folk around here with a wealth of practical knowledge.

rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:58 AM   #16

x100 on the driveway camping -- this is the BEST way to make SURE you know how it all works.

Fill up your water tank from your house (using a DRINKING WATER HOSE - get one here: Amazon.com: Camco 22853 Premium Drinking Water Hose (5/8"ID x 50&#39: Automotive)

Cook food, Wash Dishes, Take a Shower, Use the toilet...use everything in your driveway. When it all checks out, you will be ready to hit the road!

During your driveway campout, if you run into problems, fire up your laptop and hit the forum with your emergency issues
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:37 AM   #17
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Take Dad with you on that first campout ;-) or perhaps go camp in his driveway!
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #18

All great ideas. I went over the RV with the orig. owner on Sunday and feel good about what I'm doing. I'm actually going to hitch her up tomorrow and bring to my driveway Thursday night so we can pack and prep it. I'll do hook ups to ensure all is good. Then, we head to Galveston after I get off work Friday to do some real tests. Dad already cautioned me to practice backing up so will find a school lot to do that Thursday when I hitch her up.

Thanks to all!
Follow my blog: americanbluestreak.com
Old 05-13-2015, 03:13 PM   #19

If the rain stops! Wow, Houston had a lot of rain yesterday! :O

2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4
2017 Heritage Glen QBUD312
Zhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:54 PM   #20

Welcome from tomball, we have done two trips in our 2015 262bhxl to Canyon lake and have had a blast up there.
chad 146 is offline   Reply With Quote