Old 12-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
New Member from Raleigh, NC

Hi all, My husband and I are new to this forum, as well as new to RVing. We're from Raleigh, NC. Hubby is retired and I should be, but, will work a few more years. We want to start traveling 3-4 months a year when I finally do retire. Right now, we purchased a 2012 Coachmen Concord 300. We totally did a 360 degree turn this past Sept. We had purchased a 2011 Ford F150 4 door cab with tow package (low geared rear, etc) in order to pull a TT. Well, once we got the truck, we started looking at TT's. After talking to alot of folks that towed, all said that it was so much easier and more stable to pull a 5er. So, we started looking at 5th wheels. Well, long story short, as I'm sure you all already know, a light weight 5er's hitch weight is really more than a 150 should handle. Not saying it couldn't have towed a light weight 5er, but, we were very limited on a model with a hitch wt of 1,000 lbs or less. We were visiting relatives in Daytona, fl this past Sept and decided to go look at 5ers. Well one thing led to another and one RV dealer made us a deal with our truck as trade on the Concord. We've only went on a weekend outing near home to try out the coach. This was basically a disaster. The fridg didn't work on gas or electric, air conditioner wasn't putting out cold air, then....2 of the 3 slides decided to not work properly as the motors to pull in or out where out of sync and we had to push on the one end to get out and push on the one end to get it to go back in. We also noticed that the coach really doesn't need the 2 skylights in the living area, as it just lets in so much heat, it's overwhelming! Going to solve the heat problem with them by making a couple of pillows to velcro into the skylights. We took the coach into our local Coachmen dealer Oct 3rd and it's still there today. We're not in any hurry for the coach, we just want everything fixed. Oh forgot to say that the fiberglass was crinkled on the side of the door and the entry door didn't seal well and was whisteling while going down the road. Coachmen agreed to fix the fiberglass crinkle and the dealership is now trying to get us a new door. They said that because of the curve in the coach, they've had to replace several doors on the newer Concords. Anyway, the fridg is fixed, the air conditioner was replaced and the slides fixed. Just as long as everything on our hit list is addressed and fixed, we'll hopefully be happy campers, once we get to use the rig a bit!! LOL
Looking forward to reading all the forums and super excited to start Rving in general. Nice meeting all of you. cheers!

patseyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Welcome to the forums and may you have many happy camping/RVing experiences!

Of all the things I've lost in my life the thing I miss the most is my mind!
prairiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
welcome to the forum and have fun camping. We're hoping to have my husband retire in the spring and then *hopefully* spend much of the summer in our Grey Wolf.

Ralph & Amy
2012 Forest River Grey Wolf 27BHKS
Days Camped 2013: 11
AmyBarkerPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Welcome to the Forum! It's a shame you had so many snafoo's with the new-to-you coach. I hope you got them ironed out. The family and I have spent the last two summers traveling down south and we have stayed for a few days at the Raleigh NC fairgrounds. They have zero amenities, but it's perfect for a home base with full hookups. My son has interned for Big Blue at RTP. We love that part of NC. It also makes a good jumpping off point for the Outer Banks. If he's offered another internship, we're there!
2010 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel 34SATS "The Beast"
2006 Ford F350 Lariat 6.0L Diesel
2003 Harley Heritage Softail "Hogzilla"
1988 Harley Softail Custom "The Fireman"
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Sorry to hear about all your problems. We are from the Raleigh area as well. It is a great place for camping as you can get to the beaches in a couple hours and the mountains in a couple hours. We also camp at Jordan Lake pretty regularly. Nice state park campgrounds and can get back to town for our kids sports. Good luck on getting everything fixed.
2011 Surveyor SP260
2012 Ford Expedition
chof16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #6
Site Team
Hello and welcome aboard. Tough start but I hope things turn around and you can enjoying RVing and traveling.

Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote