Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #1

New Member from TN

Hello,

I am a new member from TN. I recently bought a 2006 Rockwood Roo 233 and have taken her on the maiden voyage to the beach at Hunting Island State Park in South Carolina. I really like this camper but I need to learn more about the electrical, gas, and water system. I have a wife and 2 daughters, 11 and 8 years old, that love camping. I have a 2004 Tundra double cab and a Reese weight distribution hitch. I have the bikes on the back bumper using a bumper hitch and a Yakama 4-bike rack.

I look forward to our discussions.

Happy Camping.
2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
Reese WD Hitch
Hayes Brake Controller
jconstantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:57 AM   #2

to the forum and congratulations on the new to you rig. Ask anything you want to. There are no stupid questions except the ones you don't ask.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to FRF and joining the "Roo Krew"!!!

i see you posted in the Expandable section and in the 233 thread.
just be aware that many, many, many trailer owners have found that a bike rack on the bumper is a BAD idea.
unless you've had the bumper reinforced with welded braces to the frame, you will probably see those bikes and rack bouncing down the road, in your rear view mirror. especially a 4 bike rack.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. That bumper seems to be pretty substantial and I believe it is welded to the frame. I will check it again when I get home. Are you familiar with the 233?
2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
Reese WD Hitch
Hayes Brake Controller
jconstantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #5

Welcome to FRF and congrats on the new camper. Lots of good people and information available here so be sure to take advantage of it.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconstantin View Post
Thanks for the advice. That bumper seems to be pretty substantial and I believe it is welded to the frame. I will check it again when I get home. Are you familiar with the 233?
yes, and i have the same type of bumper on my '07 Roo 23SS and NO! it's not substantial enough for a 2 bike rack, let alone a 4 bike rack. there's no bracing to it. the rear bumpers on ultralite trailers can only support a spare tire and it is right up against the trailer. bikes would be away from the rear of the trailer.

i own a lot of bikes, some of them expensive, so i researched a lot about bike racks and attaching them to trailers.
not one person said attaching a bike rack to the bumper of an ultralite trailer was a good idea. most had learned the hard way, by the bikes and rack breaking the square bumper off the trailer.
the only successful ones had a 2" receiver welded and braced to the bumper and the frame. the bike rack was put into the receiver.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:54 PM   #7

I have to agree with bikendan and suggest you not put a bike rack on that rear bumper. I have seen receiver hitches welded to the back and bike racks placed in them. The last thing you want to happen is to get to your destination and find out the back bumper and bikes are somewhere "back there up the road somewhere".

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:58 AM   #8

Welcome to the forum
Old 04-14-2010, 05:30 AM   #9

I welded a receiver hitch to the frame of my Wildwood 23BH, very sturdy setup, used heavy steel and tacked along the rear bumper only for additional support, also tacked to the first cross member with another angle iron, there are pictures on this site of my setup. I'll try to find the link and post it here in a few minutes
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:47 AM   #10

here is a link to my previous post with pictures of my hitch

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...read.php?t=181
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood roo 233